PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How is Mayo best used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: How is Mayo best used ?

ITA with Riddler. I'm tired of hearing that this guy is too small or this guy isn't able to shed. If they can make plays I want them on my team. I stated back in April that Clay Matthews looked like the perfect guy to replace Tedy Bruschi's role and I was laughed at.

For good reason, apparently.

You are aware the two don't even play the same position?

For good reason, apparently.

You are aware the two don't even play the same position?

Bruschi didn't play Bruschi's position when he was drafted, either.

I think Matthews would have made a terrific SILB counterpart to Mayo, and said so last year before the draft.

i think that pats should sign a linebacker next to him and draft olb and de. we are so weak at getin to the Qb .are coners are alright they are good enough to get the job done .the ss and fs are fine both should be playing a great levels next year.

mayo needs to be able to run around the field and blitz when he feels like needs to,he needs to become a leader on the field .they would much better if that would happen

I think Matthews would have made a terrific SILB counterpart to Mayo, and said so last year before the draft.

When Bruschi was drafted he was a DE. It took Bruschi years before he made the transition to ILB. I don't know if Bruschi is the best argument for drafting Matthews.

And how long did it take Bruschi to learn how to play Bruschi's position at a high level in the NFL?

Regardless, even if Matthews were to slide inside, you wouldn't really be taking full advantage of his skillset.

Mayo's regression is certainly disturbing. We can only hope it's fully explained by his coming back too early off the knee injury, but he was a below-average ILB this year for whatever reasons. He's now unfortunately a question mark for next year.

I agree that Mayo/Guyton looks like a bad pairing for a 3-4 ILB set facing a strong rushing attack. Against the run, 3-4s are strong to the outside and weakest straight ahead. Neither Mayo nor Guyton have shown that they can either shed or avoid a guard targeting them in their bubbles. Belicheck's apparent aversion to the David Harris / Paul Posluszny kind of SILB is particularly puzzling given how successful and important Ted Johnson was in his defensive schemes.

Last edited:

Really now ? What makes you so sure that he couldn't play in this defense, yet a Pierre Woods and Rob Ninkovich can ? I mean then it's time to change the damn scheme BB, if the defense is SO DIFFICULT and it take 10 freakin years to find the right FIT so to speak, then guess what. It is time to change the damn scheme !!!! Because BB is pidgeon-holing out tremendous LB talent.................If you think those 3 guys couldn't have had great years in our defense, I have to really question what you are thinking about, honestly you really have to be kidding me !

Sounds like you want to change the defensive philosophy to meet the needs of a rookie LB:confused:

On sandwiches and burgers.

Some people like to use mayo as a dip for their french fries. I'm not a big fan.

I don't like it on hot dog either.

As I just outlined in another thread, I think the best way to use the young personnel the Pats have - Mayo, Guyton, Brace, Pryor, McKenzie - is to use a 4-3.

It would involve trading Warren, not re-signing Wilfork, and releasing AD. But in the end, I think the resources you gain from those activities would allow you to draft at least two DEs in a deep draft at that position, and/or go out and sign one like Peppers.

Basically, you would have Brace and Pryor, both who are best suited as 4-3 DTs, as your 4-3 DTs, backed up by Wright and Richard. Those are bigger than usual 4-3 DTs and could be stout against the run.

At DE, you would have potentially Banta-Cain (as a backup), along with the draft picks and the FA acquisition, all of whom need to be plus pass-rushers. One would move inside (like Tuck) on passing downs to provide you with three pass rushers.

At LB, Mayo and Guyton would both be best served as MLB and WLB, respectively. They would also be your nickel LBs, with range. At SLB, my choice would be McKenzie, but that I think would be your biggest hole in this plan.

Overall, I just think this is where the Pats are headed based on the personnel they've brought in and shipped out lately. It would give them a VERY young defense, but a fast one.

As I just outlined in another thread, I think the best way to use the young personnel the Pats have - Mayo, Guyton, Brace, Pryor, McKenzie - is to use a 4-3.

It would involve trading Warren, not re-signing Wilfork, and releasing AD. But in the end, I think the resources you gain from those activities would allow you to draft at least two DEs in a deep draft at that position, and/or go out and sign one like Peppers.

Basically, you would have Brace and Pryor, both who are best suited as 4-3 DTs, as your 4-3 DTs, backed up by Wright and Richard. Those are bigger than usual 4-3 DTs and could be stout against the run.

At DE, you would have potentially Banta-Cain (as a backup), along with the draft picks and the FA acquisition, all of whom need to be plus pass-rushers. One would move inside (like Tuck) on passing downs to provide you with three pass rushers.

At LB, Mayo and Guyton would both be best served as MLB and WLB, respectively. They would also be your nickel LBs, with range. At SLB, my choice would be McKenzie, but that I think would be your biggest hole in this plan.

Overall, I just think this is where the Pats are headed based on the personnel they've brought in and shipped out lately. It would give them a VERY young defense, but a fast one.

Good points.

My biggest gripe with our defense is even though we have amassed a collection of young, fast, athletic players that should dictate we run a more aggressive attack style defense, we continue to play read and react and ask these guys to take on blocks, read the play and then react. What good is speed when you're asked to engage in blockers first? It takes away their biggest asset, their speed, when you ask them to play passive.

In an ideal world, we would have big, strong, AND fast players that could run the 3-4 effectively. Someone who can engage and shed blockers and also have the speed to make the play. However, there's not too many McGinest's and Ted Johnson's out there.

It just seems to me that we are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole at the moment.

Tedy Bruschi said what we all felt this season but it has more weight coming from a lifetime Patriots player like him.

Tedy, what are your impressions of the progress Mayo and Guyton have made this year?

Tedy Bruschi (12:12 PM)

Mayo took a step back. I think that was due to the injury and due to the health and performance of the defensive line. In that system, the LB has no chance to flourish if his best defensive linemen are missing or injured.

What do people think of going to get a huge d tackle like Mount Cody that allows Mayo to flow to the ball? I think that if he slips to the second round we could play him and Wilfork on running downs and there is no chance that a run is successful up the middle.

We need to find a way to build around Mayo, Meriweather and hopefully Chung in the middle of the field.

(Understanding he may not have reached 100% health this year) :

Mayo seemed to struggle shedding blocks against the run and was just OK in coverage.

Would we best in a 4-3 trying to keep OL off him and allowing him to run ?
Do we need a Ted Johnson type to do the grunt work ?
Do we need another Mayo type where both are good but not great vs. run and pass but combined are good against both ?

I'm trying to figure out what LB I want to look at in the draft or FA to put next to Mayo to best utilize what should be our cornerstone player.

I'm also assuming Guyton isn't going to be the long term starter next to Mayo but I could be wrong on that.

i think you said it all redy they need a ted johnson, type to take on the blocks and thet guy was tedy b last year thats why he won DROY but even last year if you look at how he play every tackel was 3 4 5 yerds down field he never blow up the play in the back field and a lot of hes tackels where asst. he is not and never will be patrick willis, i think we all redy seen he's best year and thats what he will be 100 to a 120 tackels a year maybe 1 sack maybe 1 INT but he is not a pass rusher and he is not very good in coverage

and BB two gap system is like pass blocking for a O line men there job is to get a lil push and keep the G's and T's off of the LB's just like a O line men needs to get a lil push and keep the D line off of the QB but green can't hold seymours jock so that did not happen this year

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back