Welcome to PatsFans.com

How is James Sanders playing?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by patsox23, Dec 5, 2006.

1. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 1 / -0

Not having a chance to review the game-tape lately, I'm curious to hear from those who have - is Sanders looking good? Still iffy? Obviously, not noticing him constitutes some level of good news, but I'd like to know if he seems to be developing well - or just holding his own.

Thanks.
  2. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

He's playing better than he did in the first Jets contest, that's about all I can say with any certainty.
  3. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +39 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

I haven't focused on him which is a good thing, didn't even notice him in the Lions game. Against the Bears he made some nice tackles to prevent first, at least 2-3 times he came up and stopped the runner short of the first down forcing a 3rd and short. He is a pretty good tackler and seems better when moving forward (like most young Safeties).

I think Miami will pass more so we should see him in coverage a lot this week.
  4. lobster

lobster Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

A Safety was completely absent from backing up Hobbs against the Bears, and I would bet that was Sanders. Who else could be that bad to leave Hobbs in such a difficult situation? This Safety the Pat's signed I would expect to quickly move ahead of Sanders.

One player I really like is Woods (LB) who is coming on very strong on ST, and even had a great play on Defense against the Lions. That creates even less need for Sanders on ST.
  5. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The Pats played alot of "zero-coverage" against the Bears. If Hobbs had no help on specific plays it'd be important to note if zero-coverage was employed. Zero coverage indicates that there IS no safety help, as all the DBs are in man, while much of the front 7 blitzes. This tactic was used heavily against the Bears.

Before you bash Sanders for 'not being there', it is important to realize whether or not he 'should have been there'. I'm betting on most of the plays you're talking about, he wasn't supposed to be there due to the 'zero-coverage'.
  6. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I noticed the single coverage then compared to earlier in the game, but we don't know if that was by design. Until you know you can't blame him unless you see it on the tape.
  7. JR4

JR4 In the Starting Line-up PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 3 / -2

Which saftey was that? You mean 5'8 , 180#, Mickens the CB?
  8. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

He has been very solid, making good tackles in run support and has been good at bringing help. From what I've seen they are understandably keeping him out of 1 on 1 situations.
  9. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

chad scott is on th depth chart for safety
  10. pats63

pats63 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He is improving every game. I think he is strong on the run. Still improving on coverage. I am sure Rodney is schooling well.
  11. jczxohn1

jczxohn1 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Don't forget O-T-I-S, current DB coach.

Actually, I've heard good comments about Sanders from Box and others.
  12. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

"zero-coverage", "solid vs the run" "getting better"..
    I hate to say this but I disagree with these comments. We dont' know if the Pats were playing "ZERO COVERAGE" on that play. FYI, Hobbs play has declined from last year. he got beat by a double move twice in that game. And the second time cost them 6 points..

Cedric Benson ran him over this past sunday. It was kinda funny..

"getting better" - we need to see more of him. with the rash of injuries he'll have the chance to prove something. If not, I would expect Bill to show him the door.
  13. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

AS far as the zero coverage angle, the Pats DID play alot of zero coverage agains the bears. Whatever particular play is being discussed, I have no idea. I just think it's important to remember that a player that isn't there doesn't mean he was supposed to be there.
  14. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

As i said, we really don't know what the coverage was.. But either way, Hobbs was the problem on that play.
  15. edgecy

edgecy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

when is the cast coming off for Hobbs?