PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How is it that the Seahawks secondary is so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassanova792

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Their starting secondary:

CB Sherman - 5th round
CB Browner - UDFA
SS Chancellor - 5th round
FS Thomas - 1st round

Most with under 2 years experience. A good defensive and CB coach can do wonders to coaching them up. That's why BB needs to find talented coaches outside his coaching tree.

This can also be said with the Steelers. Their secondary with the exception of Polamalu are all late draft picks yet the steelers continue to be the top defense year in and year out

Last edited:
LOL. Seahawks secondary gets away with murder. That always helps when the officials don't throw the flags.

Oh God not this **** again.

And now Jeremy Lane, their 6th round pick, came in tonight and played lock down at points.

I'm serious when I say I'm getting suspicious. :cool:

Last edited:
PEDs? Yeah, it's gotta be the PEDs....

lol

And now Jeremy Lane, their 6th round pick, came in tonight and played lock down at points.

I'm serious when I say I'm getting suspicious. :cool:

Exactly!!!! These guys are either super lucky in drafting or just know how to coach. Same with the steelers secondary.

I seen the Seahawks offense score a td tonight when the clock was at 00. :rolleyes:

Refs DO play a part.

Sherman- He's a flat out stud and the 2nd best CB next to Revis in the game.

Browner- An overrated CB IMO who benefits from playing next to Sherman. Lane/Walter Thurmond play just as good.

Earl Thomas-Ball Hawk probowl FS drafted high.

Chancellor-Hard hitting talented safety.

Gotta give Pete some credit here. It's not coaches, those are just talented guys.

Last edited:
Their starting secondary:

CB Sherman - 5th round
CB Browner - UDFA
SS Chancellor - 5th round
FS Thomas - 1st round

Most with under 2 years experience. A good defensive and CB coach can do wonders to coaching them up. That's why BB needs to find talented coaches outside his coaching tree.

Seattle secondary coaches must teach guys to turn their heads and look for ball, elementary I know...probably also helps they don't play vanilla 90% of the time

Browner- An overrated CB IMO who benefits from playing next to Sherman. Lane/Walter Thurmond play just as good.

Gotta give Pete some credit here. It's not coaches, those are just talented guys.

Yes we all know they are talented, but how did all of them with the exception of Thomas get passed up so many times??

It's the same with the steelers. With the exception of Polamalu they are all late picks.

Pete isn't the GM.

The GM does know how to spot good defensive players.

Yes we all know they are talented, but how did all of them with the exception of Thomas get passed up so many times??

It's the same with the steelers. With the exception of Polamalu they are all late picks.

Ryan Clark was a FA. Ike Taylor was a high pick.

Seahawks secondary is better.

Pete isn't the GM.

The GM does know how to spot good defensive players.

Beats me....a shutdown CB shouldn't go in the 5th round.

Pete definitely was involved with the Sherman selection, he saw the kid at Stanford while coaching at USC.

The Steelers' secondary is not good. Ryan Clark blows and Ike Taylor has been mediocre for awhile. The Seahawks' secondary, OTOH, is very good. Why bring up the Steelers? What am I missing?

Last edited:
The Steelers' secondary is not good. Ryan Clark blows and Ike Taylor has been mediocre for awhile. The Seahawks' secondary, OTOH, is very good. Why bring up the Steelers? What am I missing?

Grass Is Greener Syndrome

Keep in mind the Seahawks are a very different team on the road. So while they look amazing at home, they've laid some stinkers on the road. We'll see how they do in the playoffs if and when Sherman starts to serve his 4 game suspension.

They are the number 1 defense in the league as well as the #1 passing defense. How is that not good?

I think it has to do with attitude. For better or for worse the Pats only bring in neutered, toe the line company men (Spikes and probably Hightower aside).

One, it shrinks the available talent pool, two it results in a lack of vicious play that **sometimes** works out to result in stellar play.

You'll never see McCourty talking twitter trash to Peyton Manning.

Personally I think the sterile attitude that works so well on offense under Brady is the exact opposite of what you should need on defense.

Good defenses should be savage dogs. The nature of the positions just demands someone that takes advantage of the rules and uses the mental and momentum aspects of the game to win.

Last edited:
Beats me....a shutdown CB shouldn't go in the 5th round.

Pete definitely was involved with the Sherman selection, he saw the kid at Stanford while coaching at USC.

Why didn't BB draft Sherman instead of Dowling?

Brady was the Pats draft pick steal. Not every pick pans out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes