PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Impressive is the Pats' 6-game winning streak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My expectations in BILL made me think they could win those games.

It's been almost a decade since the last championship.

And the following teams have had longer streaks of not winning championships

Arizona 63 years
Detroit 53 years
Philly 50 yeas
Minnesota never won (50 years)
Tennessee 49 years
San Diego 47 years
Cleveland 46 years
Buffalo 45 years
Atlanta never won (45 years)
Cincy never won (43 years)
NY Jets 43 years
KC 42 years
Miami 38 years
Seattle never won (34 years)
Oakland 27 years
Chicago 25 years
Washington 19 years
SF 16 years
Carolina never (15 years)
Jacksonville never (15 years)
Dallas 15 years
Denver 12 years
St Louis 11 years
Baltimore 10 years
Houston never (9 years)
Tampa 8 years

26 teams have longer streaks.

Im not being negative, im not bashing our D. but without tom brady 11-3 was ALOT worse. our D was a small part (very small, like 20%) of our winning record.

What are you basing this assertion on? I keep seeing it thrown out, but no one ever states the logic behind it. The defense, while not that great, has played well enough to win in most the the Pats victories this season.

Also it appears that they perform adequately against the good teams in the league. 21, 19, 21, 16, 25, 24, 16, 23 are the scores given up by the Pats to teams with a realistic shot at making the POs. To me it looks like most of those games were winnable for a team with an offense like the Pats.

Im not being negative, im not bashing our D. but without tom brady 11-3 was ALOT worse. our D was a small part (very small, like 20%) of our winning record.

acknowledging that our D sucks is being realistic. anyone who says our D will worth somthing in the playoffs is just fooling himself. we will not go very far with this kind of D i promise you that.

I'm not that down on the defense, for these reasons:
- against the Giants if we didn't lose both Spikes and Chung late in that game, that's a W
- we've been without Chung for 7 weeks, who is our most important defender given the quality and depth problem at Safety
- we've been without Spikes for about that same period, who was developing into a major force
- we're presumably getting both of those guys back before the playoffs, which tightens up the overall D significantly, both run and pass
- Brace is playing stronger week over week
- not real worried about the loss of Carter. To be honest he wasn't as much a force in recent weeks as he was earlier when he had most of his sacks. DL is an area of good depth, and I love Anderson.
- McCourty's shoulder injury seems to be healing and I expect his play to improve as it does
- the way the D adjusted in Denver and actually dominated the last 3 quarters was a great sign

Our offense and special teams are rockin' right now, and the D is turning the corner. I'm very bullish on the Pats chances. Much better team than the one that lost to the Jets in the playoffs a year ago.

Last edited:
Not that impressive given the fact that if tom brady has one slightly off game they will lose. We been threw this for 2 and half seasons straight seasons.

Perhaps that is true, but if so then couldn't you just as easily say the same thing about all 31 other NFL teams and the most important player on each of their rosters?

If that is the case, then no winning streaks and no teams are impressive, right?

I'm not that down on the defense, for these reasons:
- against the Giants if we didn't lose both Spikes and Chung late in that game, that's a W
- we've been without Chung for 7 weeks, who is our most important defender given the quality and depth problem at Safety
- we've been without Spikes for about that same period, who was developing into a major force
- we're presumably getting both of those guys back before the playoffs, which tightens up the overall D significantly, both run and pass
- Brace is playing stronger week over week
- not real worried about the loss of Carter. To be honest he wasn't as much a force in recent weeks as he was earlier when he had most of his sacks. DL is an area of good depth, and I love Anderson.
- McCourty's shoulder injury seems to be healing and I expect his play to improve as it does
- the way the D adjusted in Denver and actually dominated the last 3 quarters was a great sign

Our offense and special teams are rockin' right now, and the D is turning the corner. I'm very bullish on the Pats chances. Much better team than the one that lost to the Jets in the playoffs a year ago.

You forgot that the defense has been pretty consistent. They've surrendered the same number of 30+ pt games as the Steelers and Ravens. It's not a unit that'll win a lot of games, but it also won't lose a lot either.

Every single game this year we've been able to win. Every single one. Our "horrible defense" has yet to get us blown out. As a matter of fact, since the start of 2009, we've been blown out 3 times by my count and we've blown out teams 25 times. Our W-L from that period is 35-11.
That means 73% of our losses were winnable, and only 29% of our wins were winnable to our opponents.
This doesn't speak of an inept defense, this sounds like a defense that more often than not, (93% of the time) they do enough for us to at the very least give us a chance to win.
If we had the Rams offense, sure the numbers would be different, but we don't have the rams offense. We have TFB and the Patriots offense.

Note: no post season stats have been included in the above statistics. If you feel the need, I'd count them both as blow outs and it would change the final number from 93% to 89%, still a very acceptable number.

Every single game this year we've been able to win. Every single one. Our "horrible defense" has yet to get us blown out. As a matter of fact, since the start of 2009, we've been blown out 3 times by my count and we've blown out teams 25 times. Our W-L from that period is 35-11.
That means 73% of our losses were winnable, and only 29% of our wins were winnable to our opponents.
This doesn't speak of an inept defense, this sounds like a defense that more often than not, (93% of the time) they do enough for us to at the very least give us a chance to win.
If we had the Rams offense, sure the numbers would be different, but we don't have the rams offense. We have TFB and the Patriots offense.

Note: no post season stats have been included in the above statistics. If you feel the need, I'd count them both as blow outs and it would change the final number from 93% to 89%, still a very acceptable number.

We have to acknowledge that we've seen periods of horrible unacceptable play from our D, I can't argue with that. But there are definitely reasons to assume that it'll be a better D as the weeks go by, and could/should be playing their best football in January.

They have playmakers (assuming we get these guys back on the field), they have beef up front, and they have a top strategist. So there's reason for optimism.

It's been almost a decade since the last championship.
In the logical system used by the people determined to find fault with Belichick, that is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes