PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How important was that first round CB Pick now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the interesting part is what if we didn't select a CB in this years draft? BB would say nothing about Bodden, and he'd be on the inactive on gameday for months. People may question it, but it would never be hyped up like it is now.

Thankfully BB can read the future and selected a CB instead.

Not 100% no, but it would be the heaviest weighted factor. Assuming players are rated by my scouts from 1-100. If I have depth at corner and weakness at OLB, and at my pick there's a corner who's 85 and the best available OLB is 70, I'm taking the corner. One, because over time this gives you best pool of players and should even out. Two, because you can't count on a rookie contributing right away in year one anyway, at least not as a starter.

Now, if the corner was rated 85 and there was an OLB at 82, I'm probably taking the OLB. The overall player ability is negligible, and so need factor helps to balance it out.

I agree with your system, but i disagree that you can't count on a Rookie contributing right away. I think you see it all the time, especally at RB, MLB, any of the O-Line, Defensive Lineman....

Another thing about the McCourty pick was how badly we needed a return man. I think we had the worst return game in the league last year. Tate hadn't proven anything either.

if we are only going by he was a great pick cause Bodden, is gone for the season then Jared Odrick, would have been a great pick as will... it has notting to do with injury or hideing Wilhite, cause he will still play a lot this year as the nickel back.

my point is it's all about he's play on the field and what can he bring the to the defense the next few years im not looking for much from him this year as a rookie on a team with no pass rush

if he can hold he's own as a CB and play great on ST then he was a good pick IMO

A tandem of Butler/Wilhite frightens me. Lets hope DMC doesn't go down to injury. Or Butler..

I'm not going to give BB credit for selecting a position based on an injury that he had no idea was going to occur. Forget chugging the kool-aid your drowning in it my friend.

I would think that McCourty will not be used as much in kickoff returns as he would have been earlier before Bodden's injury

I think Slater,Faulk and maybe Maroney will be doing the returns more now,I don't want to see Devin risk injury.

I agree with your system, but i disagree that you can't count on a Rookie contributing right away. I think you see it all the time, especally at RB, MLB, any of the O-Line, Defensive Lineman....

Another thing about the McCourty pick was how badly we needed a return man. I think we had the worst return game in the league last year. Tate hadn't proven anything either.

Well, there's a difference between getting success from a rookie and counting on it going into the draft. I doubt BB is ever going into the draft saying, "I'm not worried about the fact I have no good OLBs, because I'm going to draft a kid today that I know will be able to start."

When they surprise you by jumping right in (ala Spikes, Mayo, Mankins, Vollmer to some extent, etc), it's great, but none of those players were handed starting jobs based on draft status or college success. They earned it.

We will get schooled over and over again by the grand hoodie Master. Now we all keep our fingers crossed he plays well. I'm very optimistic, worst case scenario, we get 2 top 10 draft picks 2011 :D

I'm not going to give BB credit for selecting a position based on an injury that he had no idea was going to occur. Forget chugging the kool-aid your drowning in it my friend.

This.......

I agree with taking the best available player with your pick. In this case, it seems to be working in our favour. Yes, he's a rookie. Now he gets to boom or bust. I don't think that any player could ask for a better situation to be in.

We will get schooled over and over again by the grand hoodie Master. Now we all keep our fingers crossed he plays well. I'm very optimistic, worst case scenario, we get 2 top 10 draft picks 2011 :D

You mean we would have to pay 10 million a year to TWO rookies? No thanks! :bricks:

I guess I was arguing more the idea that you draft players based on how good they are, not on their chance to start right away, since you never know what areas will become needs due to injury.

I agree with this 100%, and I actually use the BB "value" notion there, which is really an equation along the lines of need + talent + positional value + readiness + other factors = "value".

Drafting a CB in round 1 only had good "value" because the team was able to pull in players for other positions in round 2 with all the other picks (Gronkowski, Cunningham, Spikes). If this team had only had the 'normal' 1 pick per round to work with, and had still drafted a CB in round 1, this would have been a huge error (thus, those of us who were talking about hating the pick "in a vacuum" when the league only went 1 round on day one), IMO.

I just find the notion that an injury, post-draft, has justified the use of a first round pick for an area of comparative depth to be silly. Using that logic, the Bashers could pummel BB by saying that the injury is why Belichick was wrong for cutting Springs, or for not signing Dunta Robinson, etc...

Last edited:
I just find the notion that an injury, post-draft has justified the use of a first round pick for an area of comparative depth to be silly. Using that logic, the Bashers could pummel BB by saying that the injury is why Belichick was wrong for cutting Sprigs, or for not signing Dunta Robinson, etc...

I agree. Unpredictable things (injury, personal conduct problems from someone who has no history of it, etc) are not a reason to second guess / praise a personnel decision.

Well, there's a difference between getting success from a rookie and counting on it going into the draft. I doubt BB is ever going into the draft saying, "I'm not worried about the fact I have no good OLBs, because I'm going to draft a kid today that I know will be able to start."

When they surprise you by jumping right in (ala Spikes, Mayo, Mankins, Vollmer to some extent, etc), it's great, but none of those players were handed starting jobs based on draft status or college success. They earned it.

Well yeah, of course they earned it. But then there's loads of players every year across the league that earn it too. When they drafted Mayo with the 10th overall pick, you don't think they expected him to start from day 1?

Last few years, Patrick Willis, Jon Beason, Demeco Ryans, James Lauinatus (sp), Thomas Howard, Paul posluszny, Keith Rivers.... I could go on. They all started from day 1.

You really don't think teams drafted those players thinking, hell even banking on the fact that they could plug a hole from day one?

I disagree with the whole thought that you can't relay on a rookie from day one. You've gotta have confidence in your scouting. No one is going to be perfect, but there's a reason why some teams have been good for so long.

Last edited:
During the draft and after Belichick selected his 1st rounder,many of us were a little confused and upset over picking a CB as that pick.

Looking back now it makes us look a little foolish after questioning the pick as Devin now becomes possibly the most important rookie to ever start in his first season under the BB regime.

Without selecting McCourty can you imagine Willhite or Wheatley starting? :eek:

Sometimes you have to wonder if Belichick has ESP

Unless Devin has a horrid season,I think we should be glad he didn't select the player YOU wanted him to pick as the #1

You could make the same argument had the Patriots selected a 3-4 DE (Odrick?), a 3-4 OLB (Jerry Hughes, Koa Misi? both?), or a guard (Bryan Bulaga, Roger Safford).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes