Welcome to PatsFans.com

How important is moral integrity in a candidate?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by MrBigglesWorth, Sep 1, 2008.

1. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

This has always been a topic I have struggled with. If a candidate cheats on his wife, won't he cheat on the nation? Is withholding of information the same as lying? Do the American people deserve to know everything about a candidate as they are the commander and chief and can end all our lives with poor judgment.

So I ask you this. How important are morals and values when it comes to a candidate? or does politics give a free ride to deviance and winning at all costs?

I ask this question to include ALL current candidates. Past Presidents and VP's.

Is there such thing as privacy when you choose to run for President?
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

Moral integrity ... if it's possible to gauge is extremely important to my choice. The way I see it ... being a politician means at times dealing with unsavory characters along the way. So, for the most part to me it's a question of who they dance with and have danced with less how much you think they have changed.
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

Certainly a politican should live by the principles they espouse.
  4. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

I struggle with it too. And I would like to say it matters but....

I know in my life time there is only one person who has held the office of president that I truly respect as a person -- Jimmy Carter. He is honest, decent, truly cared about people. But he was a horrible president.

When I lived in Providence we had a great mayor, until he went to jail. The man did great things for the city. Cleaned up down town, brought in businesses including a mall. Best mayor I have ever seen. He was elected as a convicted felon (assult). And left office to serve time in the federal pen for corruption. I would vote for him again.
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Integrity is extremely important, but there's integrity in one's political life and integrity in one's personal life. I don't think we can expect politicians to be superior to the rest of us in the way they lead their personal lives. They'll do there best, but they'll make mistakes along the way. But, in the job we elect them to, they must be aboveboard. I think that's extremely critical.

And, frankly, I do think Obama, McCain, and Biden are like that. It's really unclear with Palin yet; she's only now in the process of being vetted publicly.

But, it must be pointed out that the conservatives have a ticket with an adulter at the top of the ticket and a VP who almost certainly had premarital sex (her first child was born 8 months after she was married). Now, I don't care about either of those things, but given the conservative attacks on gays, on the Clintons, on Edwards, on Jesse Jackson, it's only right we challenge them on this. If they want to judge Democratic candidates by their sex lives, then we should certainly shine a light on the lurid sexual practices of conservative leaders as a way of challenging the ethics of conservatives or at least pushing them towards a more liberal and tolerant understanding of human nature.
  6. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

Have you done your homework on the people close to Obama that he is trying to keep in the shadows? There are more to come out of his closet.

We know all about Biden, McCain and we're learning Palin. Obama still has much hidden and many documents yet to be released that he is trying his best to keep from releasing. Is that above board to you?
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Yes I have, F.B.N. and frankly he has not been especially secretive about the two or three controversial people he's known. The right has been trying to prove a much closer relationship between Ayers and Obama, but can't even find a photo of them together. They have been trying to prove that Obama subscribes to some radical religion, but his church was part of a church that's 95% white and even Wright's church had white members in the congregation. I think Obama's quite honest, and that's creating a problem for right-wingers who wallow in the gutter of hypocrisy and corruption.

Now what papers is Obama trying not to release? Can you be more specific?
  8. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

Most of his collegiate years have no papers from Obama. he keeps saying he either lost them or cannot find them. What he wrote in the past is part of who he is but we're not going to ever see them.

EDIT: Who is Valerie Jarrett ... http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ead.php?p=993067&highlight=iranian#post993067

Obama is a product of the corrupt Chicago political scene.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

I don't have any of my college papers. I don't think that's unusual, and I doubt if most colleges save the papers of their students. Do you have your college papers or papers related to your work 20 years ago, for instance?

But again, what papers should Obama release?
  10. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

Already answered that
    The "Thesis" papers are saved by the college but nobody can find his ... hmmmm

[​IMG]
  11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

Whie no papers while a professor, or as Editor of the Harvard Law Review, very unusual, no paper trail where there ordinarily is one, very odd
  12. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

It is not unusual for a student's senior thesis to get lost. The school lost my dad's doctoral thesis. Which is a lot more important than an undergrad one.

However, if Obama published in the Harvard Law Review, finding a copy of that is pretty easy, just go down any courthouse. They have a copy.
  13. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

The odd thing here is this is a guy who had high ambitions for a very long time. A man who has made very calculated moves to get ahead in political life. These types of people don't lose things as they love having a track record of accomplishments to use to go furthur.
  14. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I'd say it depends........

Personal integrity, like everything else, comes in degrees.

Looking at the Bill Clinton fiasco. I really didn't have a whole lot of issue with Slick Willie getting a hummer while on the clock, even married. Doesn't say a lot about him from "husband" POV and it's not particularly honest, but really, it doesn't effect my opinion on whether he is capable of being an effective leader.

However, lying under oath, FOR ME, was a much bigger issue, because it does speak to higher level of "distrust".

Same thing with everything. The no such thing as a 100% integrity person. Human are faulty, and it's up to you as the individual to determine what behavior is bad, or really bad, or good, or really good.
  15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

http://www.nysun.com/new-york/obamas-years-at-columbia-are-a-mystery/85015/

The Obama campaign has refused to release his college transcript, despite an academic career that led him to Harvard Law School and, later, to a lecturing position at the University of Chicago. The shroud surrounding his experience at Columbia contrasts with that of other major party nominees since 2000, all whom have eventually released information about their college performance or seen it leaked to the public.
  16. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

Talk about vetting ... has the media really vetted Barack Obama?

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/fund090308.php3