PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How important is a first-round bye for the Patriots?

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
How important is a first-round bye for the Patriots?
By: Ryan Hannable

The statistics show just how important getting a first-round bye is for teams looking to get to and then win the Super Bowl...

The seeding and matchups don't bother me. The playing on the road doesn't either. The only bad part to me is that we're pretty beat up. Really could use the week off to get some guy's healthier; Vollmer, Mankins, AHern, Gronk, Welker, Spikes, Dennard and Talib. That's quite a few key players nicked up.

If Houston wins at 1p. I'd rest everybody. KC isn't going to win at Denver. Play Brady a quarter or so. Let him get his td pass to extend his streak. Then, get him out of there so we can take a look at Mallett. If Houston loses at 1p, play this like a must-win.

The seeding and matchups don't bother me. The playing on the road doesn't either. The only bad part to me is that we're pretty beat up. Really could use the week off to get some guy's healthier; Vollmer, Mankins, AHern, Gronk, Welker, Spikes, Dennard and Talib. That's quite a few key players nicked up.

If Houston wins at 1p. I'd rest everybody. KC isn't going to win at Denver. Play Brady a quarter or so. Let him get his td pass to extend his streak. Then, get him out of there so we can take a look at Mallett. If Houston loses at 1p, play this like a must-win.

That about sums it up, and nicely to boot.

The only thing I may add is that while seeding/matchups can't be controlled, along with playing on the road etc, the need to play one more game is certainly quite a challenge, especially against top level competition.

If we rest everybody and we lose, and baltimore wins, we'll be 3rd seed. And if baltimore and new england wins the divisional rounds, baltimore gets home field. So we can't just rest everyone. But we'll know the Baltimore result by the time we play.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be that important. Giants x2, Steelers x2, Packers.... have all been road warriors in recent years. So many other teams have won the SB while going on the road in the playoffs. The Pats should be able to do the same!

We don't deserve a SuperBowl if we can't win a couple games on the road

Last edited:
Very important, especially for this Patriots. We are pretty banged up going to the playoffs. The TEs, the O line and the CBs are some of the places we're missing people.

On the other hand, I have a dream of the Pats beating DEN & HOU on the road, and then beating SF in the SB. Oh boy, if we pull that one off...

On the other hand, I have a dream of the Pats beating DEN & HOU on the road, and then beating SF in the SB. Oh boy, if we pull that one off...

That's a lot of beating to take right there....

Judging by our past success with a first-round bye, I don't mind seeing what happens if we do not get it.

Judging by our past success with a first-round bye, I don't mind seeing what happens if we do not get it.

5 out of 6 SB appearances with the bye under Belichick.

0 for 3-4 without the bye under Belichick. (I saw it written today as 0 for 4, but I can only count 3...the seasons of 2005, 2006, and 2009)

Obviously hoping we can break that trend.

Last edited:
5 out of 6 SB appearances with the bye under Belichick.

0 for 3-4 without the bye under Belichick. (I saw it written today as 0 for 4, but I can only count 3...the seasons of 2005, 2006, and 2009)

Obviously hoping we can break that trend.

A rule I have: always bet against the streak. Only optimism I can offer. Stinks the bye is out of our control.

This team desperately needs the bye to get healthy... Talib, Dennard, Spikes and to a lesser extent Jones are all battling with injuries and are the key to our defense being competent.

Now on offense it may be even worse: Solder, Mankins, Connolly, Vollmer, Welker, Hernandez, Gronk, and now maybe Brady with the hand...this team simply needs a week off.

I'll be praying for some upsets this weekend.

This team desperately needs the bye to get healthy... Talib, Dennard, Spikes and to a lesser extent Jones are all battling with injuries and are the key to our defense being competent.

Now on offense it may be even worse: Solder, Mankins, Connolly, Vollmer, Welker, Hernandez, Gronk, and now maybe Brady with the hand...this team simply needs a week off.

I'll be praying for some upsets this weekend.

I couldn't agree more.

Usually there is some sort of luck that occurs in these postseason tournaments, and the good bounces and good calls often benefit the winning team in close games...now not always, but in many instances luck can certainly help when the competition is so close.

I would think that the "luck" factor will begin this week, with the potential for an upset to help this team heal and rest by gaining that important #2 seed. I am leery of whether or not they can pull it off playing an extra game and having to go on the road with no week to rest this year. That is probably my biggest concern personally.

To get to the SB with a bye: win 2 games with a minimum of 1 game at home. Players get an extra week of rest/recuperation. BB and staff get an extra week of scouting, film watching, planning for the possible opponent(s).

To get to the SB without a bye: win 3 games with a minimum of 1 on the road, likely 2. No extra week for game planning. No extra week for player rest/recuperation.

Obviously anything can happen once you get into the playoffs. If there is no bye then it simply is what it is. The patriots will have to climb whatever hill is presented to them. Yes, non bye teams get to the SB. But the far more optimum path to the SB is crystal clear. There really isn't a discussion to have here.....the bye is very important to the Patriots (or to the Broncos or the Texans or [fill in the team name]).

A rule I have: always bet against the streak. Only optimism I can offer. Stinks the bye is out of our control.

Agreed on the first point. I mentioned something similar a few days ago. I think a team can use up a lot of "luck" in long, intra-season win streaks. I also think that when the history of the Brady Belichick era is written, the 21 game win streak spanning 03 and 04, will be viewed as their most amazing accomplishment, since it included an SB win. I just don't think that this Denver team is anywhere near the caliber of that team. I find it almost impossible to believe that they can win 14 in a row and win the SB this year. Something, "luck" or injuries, will catch up with them at some point.

As for your second comment, yes, I agree that it stinks. But they have no one but themselves to blame. Yeah, the Ravens loss was shaky because of the officiating, but they still blew a fourth quarter lead and failed twice to get the first downs that would have kept Flacco et al off the field. And, looking back, they just didn't show up until the third quarter for the Arizona game. Blowing the two TD lead in Seattle was no shame; that's a tough place to play and we now know how good Seattle might just be. The SF loss, on a short week and on the heels of the Houston win was, to me, a demonstration of the courage of this team even more than it was an L.

I think it's important due to rest and the fact that the ball has not been bouncing our way this year. We've played 7 close games and are 3-4 in those. The less games we have to win the better our odds at a title, simple as that.

That said, each AFC game we enter I definitely would not bet against us. We should be able to handle each team.

I couldn't agree more.

I would think that the "luck" factor will begin this week, with the potential for an upset to help this team heal and rest by gaining that important #2 seed. I am leery of whether or not they can pull it off playing an extra game and having to go on the road with no week to rest this year. That is probably my biggest concern personally.

Hopefully that "luck" factor comes in the form of Andrew Luck. Hopefully he can rally his team around the return of coach Chuck Pagano and pull out a victory.

The two losses at home to AZ and SF are looming large now! Win either of those and take care of business this Sunday and it's a moot point. Pity!

This is thread right here.

If Houston wins at 1p. I'd rest everybody. KC isn't going to win at Denver. Play Brady a quarter or so. Let him get his td pass to extend his streak.

I want him to extend his streak too but why is Rondo "selfish" when his coach wanted him to keep his streak?

I think it's damn important. With lots of injuries, and being inconsistent on both sides of the ball as a result, the less we have to roll the dice, the better. We really screwed ourselves by losing that SF game. All we can do now is pray for an unlikely loss by the Texans or Denver.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back