Welcome to PatsFans.com

How I spent My Stimulus

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, May 6, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Crazy ways people are spending their stimulus checks.....

http://www.howispentmystimulus.com/

From that link:
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

I might use half of mine to buy a replacement Wii for the one that was stolen. I'd then put the other half in the bank. Not entirely sure yet. That, or maybe a TV for my bedroom. Now that I think about it, my sister just bought a house, so maybe I could give it to her since she'll need some goodies.
  3. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Good man , but how the wii system got stolen?
  4. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

One of the comments hit the nail on the head when he said he is saving it because everyone will be paying it back on future tax returns. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

The last time Bush did this he scammed the people too. They thought they were getting a rebate but what they really got was an advance on the following year's withholding. They paid it back.

The government does not give out free money.
  5. Bigdogx

Bigdogx Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...182003,00.html

Actually this time it is a free lunch.
  6. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It sounds like it but I don't trust it. Telling people to save that letter raises some questions. Where is the money coming from. Maybe it's just a free breakfast. :D

Edit: The link didn't work.
    Last edited: May 6, 2008
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +507 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Man, we've been through this before - it's simply NOT true. As I said on another thread :

8. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Lies are all he's got.
  9. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You could be right. We haven't been through this before that I can recall but as I just said you could be right and I could be wrong. I will see what I can find out.
    Last edited: May 6, 2008
  10. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

OK, I am beginning my search and so far have come up with some information but I dont have time to gather it all right now.

This one I found to be interesting.

CNN has the story this morning about the Senate approving the rebate/stimulus plan. A quote in that article made me sit up and take notice. Specifically, it says: "The checks are an advance on next year's refunds, and most, if not all of the money, will be deducted from taxpayers' refunds in 12 months' time. "

And this one too.

For many years, the US has spent more money than it received in taxes. The government borrows money by selling bonds to investors which increase in value over many years. The government can then use that money to do whatever it wants: buy fighter aircraft, fund congressional earmarks, or distribute that money to working citizens.

The IRS does not have any money. They are budgeted money to pay their employees and keep the lights on and computer's running, but the Economic Stimulus Package is not coming out of the IRS budget. They are just sending out the checks. This package is actually an advance on your IRS refund next year, and will be included in next year's federal budget. Nobody is sure how that will affect our income taxes next year. That will probably depend on who is elected president.

In the end, this money will just be tacked on to the national debt, which is a shame. That debt will come back to bite the whole world someday.

I will continue my search. I will provide links when I return later. I will search some more. Again, you could be right and I could be wrong.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

I went to work one day, and some losers broke into my house and stole it, along with a few thousand dollars worth of stuff. My laptop, mp3 player, leather jacket, Movado, etc. Hope they die. :D
  12. MosiT

MosiT Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Holy crapola man. That really sucks. I feel your pain. I would probably feel that same way about them too if it happened to me.

Are you in a house or an apartment?
  13. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I agree with MosiT, that really sucks. Good luck getting another one, I STILL can't find a store that has any. And I refuse to buy a bundle or get it on E-Bay.

So, I will probably save $1000 of mine and use the other $800 to pay off my minivan that sh!t the bed in February.
  14. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

15. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Spend it on something non-taxable - like hookers and blow.
  16. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

If you live in a single house , you should get ADT Home Monitoring System for Deterrence Or similar.
  17. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Dingdingdingding, we have a winner! That's the real problem, the lawmakers (both Bush and the Dem controlled congress, don't forget them too!) jumped all over each other to give away more money we technically don't even have to spend. Then on top of it they blew an extra $50 million or something just to print up letters that pat themselves on the back for the stimulus and to tell us the checks are coming soon! (that one by the way I think was all Bush, not Congress' fault) Just sad the way the whole thing operates, a continuous cycle of irresponsible spending.
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

HAHA! It's funny cuz that reminds me of a conversation my friends and I had a couple of days ago. The ya-yo is back in full force. One of my buds was saying the same thing. He was going to take his $600 and buy some ya-yo, cuz that's what all the girls are looking for. Lots of farina ho's out there these days. 10-15 years ago it was all about pot. Then it went to acid a little bit. 5-10 years ago it was all about the X, then K, and who could forget the H. Pills, Oxy's, made their run. Now it's all about coke, and I don't mean soda.
  19. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Yeah, this was a brilliant idea. Our deficit isnt bad enough. Lets give back all this money so people can feel good for a month or two or three, really stir the economy by throwing it into the bank, or paying a little to their Citibank or Bank of America Credit Card balance, or on hookers and blow, or Patriot gear, and flush our long range economic outlook further down the toilet.
    I thought Republicans were supposed to be the party of fiscal responsibility?

Bill Clinton had his faults, but the best thing he ever did was to actually listen to what people like Ross Perot, Paul Tsongas, and Warren Rudman, and Alan Greenspan, were saying. He concentrated on the budget deficit, gave Wall Street a sense that things were on the right track, the books were getting balanced, people were excitedly investing in their 401K's and the economy took off.

Then idiot Bush comes in, reverses all the good that was done, and we are in worse shape when when his idiot father left office.

There i feel better!!!!!!

btw, I gave mine to my church. JUST KIDDING, i knew that would get a rise out of you. Actually i started a mutual fund for my little one.
    Last edited: May 7, 2008
  20. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I will be spending mine in Mexico. U-S-A! U-S-A!

Sorry about that, economy!