PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How I figured who the Pats will draft in the first round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget if you trade down into the second you loose a year off the contract length. So NE could take Harris,Woodley, Spencer, Meriweather at 24-28 and sign them to 5 year contracts, but if they traded down they would only be able to sign them to four year deals. Pioli himself said trading down into the second round has lost it's value because of this.
Cousin, Didn't know that. Good point but there are a lot of seemingly (who knows with them anyway) targeted Pats choices in two or three like Harris, Woodley, Merriweather, Weddle, Gonzo, Spencer, McCauley, Wilson, Balylock, Henry et,al. It would seem you either take them higher than their real value or trade down somehow even though you lose a year. The only caveat to this is there are only really 18 actual number one value kids this year in a weak draft and 19-99 is wide open to value speculation. The good news is the positions the Pats can use are fairly well large.
Sebman-Great info but now what? Is a reach a reach anymore?
I think we all fail to realize, and correct me if I am wrong, that the Pats do not use the so-called draft houses to quantify their pics. They "in-house" all pics as far as evaluation.
DW Toys

The order of the picks was my entire point.

I really don't think you can order positions that way, independent of players. If Darrelle Revis is there at #24, CB instantly becomes the obvious first pick. If Patrick Willis is there, it's ILB. Etc. Plus the draft depth at a position like safety could persuade the team to wait despite a strong need.

I'll agree completely that quality prospects are needed at CB, S and LB...but the order, nobody yet knows. It's all in the way the board shakes out.

I really don't think you can order positions that way, independent of players. If Darrelle Revis is there at #24, CB instantly becomes the obvious first pick. If Patrick Willis is there, it's ILB. Etc. Plus the draft depth at a position like safety could persuade the team to wait despite a strong need.

I'll agree completely that quality prospects are needed at CB, S and LB...but the order, nobody yet knows. It's all in the way the board shakes out.

*** Completely Hypothetical *** But if you have a CB, LB and S that you like at #24, don't you have to consider the implications of passing up each of them? Don't disagree about going with the flow as the draft shakes out, but I would be concerned if the Pats were sitting at pick #91 without getting a CB yet. I don't see anyone available at that point or later that I would want to bank on starting in 2008 *** My Opinion Only *** I think you can get a solid safety at #91 and a vet LB in FA for 2008. Obviously my opinion plus $1.25 will get you a coffee at McDonald's, but we're all playing the guessing game at this point.

I'm completely sold on sticking to your board and getting maximum value, but I just wanted to explore the angle where you want to make SURE you CYA in case the dominoes don't fall your way (Samuel/Gay/Wilson gone, no solid FA CB available, poor draft options for CB in 2008, etc.). I know there is only so much you can prepare for, but it does seem like BB goes to great lengths to keep from getting caught unprepared. Troy at CB? Thought he was nuts at the time.

Is it Saturday yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back