PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How High can they be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughthehand

On the Roster
Reaction score
I am just curious as the overall expectations of this board for the 2006 season. Last year, coming off back to back SB wins, the Bull's Eye on the Patriots' backs could not have been any bigger. Combine that with what looked like a brutal schedule, the loss of Ty Law, and the probable loss of Bruschi, I was cautiously optimistic about the Pats regular season. I thought it likely they would still win 10 games, up to 12 if they got some good breaks. I was pretty happy with 10-5 going into a meaningless game to finish the season.

So not including what happened in the postseason, (no need to go to that painful place), I considered last season a success, and was very pleased with the way the team played.

For 2006, I cannot help but to throw caution to the wind. The Bulls eye is gone. You know the sting of Denver is going to stick with these guys and keep fuel in their fire. A lot of the media is back on the Pats suck bandwagon, adding the beautiful disrespect angle. Rodney is going to come back halfway through the season and energize them like Bruschi did last year. Our schedule looks like a cake walk. Its all just lining up so nicely!!

I am usually not the type to have ridiculous expectations, but this season I am fully expecting 13-3 or better. Am I crazy for thinking that I will be disappointed if the Pats only win 11 games this year in the regular season?

Nice thread title! I agree with what you say, but it is still up to the Pats how far they will go. They will win the division if they play well as a team. Miami is just plain overrated, and Culpepper is not a 'clutch' performer. He will probably play good though, so we will have to be motivated in order to win the division. That's were all this major media disrespect comes into play. Its coming from all angles, and I think the 2006 Pats will have a BIG chip on their shoulder.

I think that being the underdog to Miami in the media, and to the rest of the AFC Contenders, will do wonders for the Pat's motivation. I actually like the negative stuff from the Rod Woodson types in the media.

As a team, there don't seem to be glaring holes other than wideout depth and perhaps secondary experience. Linebacker is starting to look okay, 'on paper.'

What if we come out of the gates with a two headed, pissed off running game? That would be awesome!

From the very first drive of the 2005 season with the Raiders I didnt get a great feeling when the Raiders scored in about seven plays. I dunno regardless of the injuries at the beggining we didnt look anywhere near of a team capable to win another SB but in the second half hope just sprung back up and the team really turned it around. I strongly believe that with Bruschi's return and Hobbs turning the secondary around amazingly quicky, those were the huge keys. Our main problem was secondary, that got a lot better. Ofcourse...injuries ending help too.

Last edited:
I agree. I was very disappointed after the Raiders game and then Carolina. I didn't think they were 'clicking' on any side of the ball.

But with an easy schedule, their fate seems to be in their hands this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will admit I was really getting pissed off in certain games like against the Steelers, we played incredibly and I mean incredibly sloppy. Even though we won I knew things werent looking good. But the first Broncos lost is what killed me the most. At one point in the game it was slaughter, must have been at least 3 Broncos TD's in a row picking our secondary apart with ease and you couldnt get a break from seeing Starks getting burned every drive....

The game that really got me excited was the second game against Buffalo, even though Buffalo is garbage we really kicked their ass that day and it was like...yep these are the real Pats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back