PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Have We Improved

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that complaining is pointless. Analysis of weaknesses is not.
============================
SECONDARY
You think that we'll have a good secondary. I have no reason to believe that.

Are we counting on the free agents Fletcher, McClain and Chekwa?

Are we counting on the players who were questionable on March 3rd to even make the team as a corner (Butler, Dennard and Butler)? Are we counting on a plug in starter to be available at 32?

Or, are we simply "hoping".

This team is the favorite to win the division and to be competing for the AFC Championship, even without a good secondary.
================
RUNNING BACKS
You say that there is a buyer's marker for running backs who would be an upgrade to Ridley and Vereen. Are you talking about free agency? Are you talking about the 3rd and 4th round of the draft. Where do you expect to get players more productive and consistent than Ridley and Vereen?
=========
PASS RUSH
Yes, the pass rush could be awesome, or it could be about what we had last year. We've seen nothing from Easley yet. Again, you seem to be hoping for the draft to produce a top edge rusher.
=======
DRAFT
You have identified three positions where you expect that we'll find improvement, presumably in the draft: pass rusher, running back, and 3rd down running back. Is this somehow your priority list?

We've had worse secondaries. I agree it's not proven, but neither is it a bunch of rookies or gambles. I think we're at least average.

Of course, with that turnover, it doesn't matter what i think, it matters how they play.

Hard to argue with you when you say we won't have a good pass tush unless we draft someone? Isn't that the opposite of your former position?

The draft is deep at RB and WR and we have multiple mid round picks.

I'm not ruling out any position in the draft, but I think it more likely we could score with guards, RB, WR rather than DT or CB with the low picks we have. Again, I am not predicting, nor saying we should pick a DE. I read an article where Tomlin said it was deep low first.

I think they go for players, not position, when the picks are at the very bottom.

We need a much improved pass rush because our secondary won't be great like last year. whether we will is up in the air.

All i hear on a daily basis from friends and family is no chance pats do anything this year since they let revis go blah blah blah....

Deep draft with lots of picks....people jumping ship for no reason...

We will be worse at the DT position, barring a trade for Ngata. It astounds me that people actually think we just need a fat guy to replace Wilfork. That's like saying any fat guy could be an NHL goaltender because he covers the space. In my informal research, as I watched the SB over just for pleasure, I noticed wilfork handling two guys, then making the tackle.

I decided to play the first half over and over and in slow motion looking for Vince, Branch and Siliga. Try it yourself, there's even a copy on youtube. anyone thinking Branch is just taking over from Vince because he's big is in for a shock. To say Vince is twice as good as branch, is not giving him enough credit. Vince, double team every play, either blows it up, or rides it into the area of attack and makes the play. Branch? Handled easily by one OL, usually on skates and ridden out away from the play. Siliga, often caught in traffic, losing footing.

It's a necessary transition, as i expect a much more attacking defense with Easley, Sheard added to the mix, but it has to be patched so we're not the Colts. Maybe Antonio brown is enough?

Interior DL, CB areas to watch, though emphasis on the pass rush might make theses secondary issues on a new team.

I don't think a guy like Ngata would be on 3 different teams within a few month span, nor do I think that DET would be willing to pull the trigger after bringing him in to replace some lost talent on the DL, but your point is valid.

So many here were underestimating the recent play of Wilfork, stating that he was only half the player etc. I never once agreed with that, and I think that while Vince took a step back (only natural), he was still much more of a force than many give credit to. It's interesting to read your analysis from the SB, then to read some others who claim the opposite (incorrectly, in my opinion).

I would've been okay with going as high as 3.5--4m dollars per year to keep him, but I think the Texans went above and beyond that by another full million or so. It's a shame to see him go.

Anyone thinking that JAG Branch is going to be Wilfork's replacement on the same level is really looking at things in an odd perspective, although I like the fact that we kept him--don't get me wrong. I just don't see how anyone could possibly put the two in any kind of similar comparison, that's all.

Quite possible that we take a DT within the top 101 picks, along with one more proven vet to compete for a role. It's definitely not a finished product yet, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back