PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How has your thinking changed?

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Binkies come, binkies go...over the course of the draft lead up, what opinions have you adjusted? Here's one for me:

I now expect no TE until day three, but a WR earlier. You can only draft the players who are there, and the talent difference between the WR and TE classes is enormous.

I did have TE as my no 1 priority and that has changed. I still see one at 62/93 at the latest but I'm almost certain we won't see one in the first round. Aside from that, the other big change is that I'm more open towards the smaller, faster 1-gap DL types than I was. I still lean towards Tuitt, Hageman, Martin over Easley et al but I think BB could eschew his previous DL templates this year.

DL in the first round is no longer an automatic pick in my mind. Also, I could see arguments being made for a few WR's to be drafted in round one.

Picked Tuitt for Pats 1½ years ago, when i was scouting Ziggy and i keep it. Nothing have changed for me really,mayby the strong pro day ASJ had, but nah not really. So 1-2-3-4 is still the same for me.

I find with this years draft the more I read the guides, the web sites , the more I change my mind every few days. I still haven't settled on anyone yet. I'm really leaning toward Troy Niklas because of his upside. that's today.

A lot. It has changed though due to more info coming to light.

To make a point here is my thinking on TE over the last 3 months.

Colt Lyerla for me was a slam dunk 3 months ago. Now I have grown to like Murphy and a few other guys more than him for late round considerations.

I use to be all up for ASJ in the 45 range as a steal. Now i see him more as a guy you stand pat at 62 for and him and Niklas are both pretty close to me. Also i have grown to like CJF more since I have seen his 3 cone time which is actually the best in the draft.

Also i have like Amaro less and less the more time that has passed. I might even take CJF over him at this point.

Picked Tuitt for Pats 1½ years ago, when i was scouting Ziggy and i keep it. Nothing have changed for me really,mayby the strong pro day ASJ had, but nah not really. So 1-2-3-4 is still the same for me.

Why would you use a First on a injury Redshirt?

Olb, Ilb, rb, or dt with our first pick unless there r sum crazy trades that I doubt happen like Mallett, Amendola, Connolly, or Arrington

The more I think about the draft I think our biggest needs are G/C, LB, S, TE.

My biggest binkie has always been Troy Niklas and nothing has changed, if anything I am higher on him and hope we can grab him in the second.

I would like to think we could grab a receiver early, but I just don't think there is room on the roster to justify spending anything more than a 4th round pick on a receiver. If we can get Coleman in the 5th/6th round I think we do that.

The biggest change is definitely how I feel about 2 TEs. I never was high Amaro, but would have him as the 4th TE in the class and a guy that was a lock for the 1st or early second round. After watching more of his game tape, I am convinced he put up huge numbers because of Tech's offensive system. He doesn't have great hands, doesn't block, and isn't as athletic as one would think.

CJF has really grown on me. 3 months ago I didn't know why this guy was listed as a probably third round pick, but now I get it and would love to see him on the pats. Just watching his game film, it was pretty apparent that he blocked significantly more than he ran routes. He was a dominant blocker. When he did release in the passing game, he showed very good hands and unlike Amaro , he is more athletic than you would originally figure from looking at his tape.

If we get one of Niklas, CJF, ASJ I would be very happy.

Patriots will trade out of the first. Patriots will take either DL, TE, or WR in the second. a QB in the 4th with our comp. BB will find a way to get a 5th rounder with one of his 4th rounders.

1.Still seeing TE as a need to be addressed in the first 2-3 rounds, with the trenches as the other obvious need--DL more than OL though.

2.I was previously a big advocate of taking a safety in the top 3 rounds. With the recent reports that we may be moving L.Ryan there, that has definitely changed things for me, as I'd be fine with DMcC, Harmon, and Ryan as our top 3 safeties. I don't think that Chung has anything better than 40/60 odds of making the team, and may very well be camp fodder.

3.I still think Connelly either gets cut or is forced to take a pay reduction, so that leaves IOL as a definite need, but I think they can wait until after the first couple of rounds to do so.

4.I'm much higher on the thought of RB being considered, particularly Carlos Hyde--as the big, bruising back to offset the loss of Blount.

5.I am also thinking that Belichick will target a mid round pick in rds 3-4 to address the "new" backup (when the year is over) situation, and could even move up to do so with our extra 4th rounder. Something tells me that Belichick is quite happy after finding out that we'll have an extra 4th rounder, as NONE of us saw that coming.

1.Still seeing TE as a need to be addressed in the first 2-3 rounds, with the trenches as the other obvious need--DL more than OL though.

2.I was previously a big advocate of taking a safety in the top 3 rounds. With the recent reports that we may be moving L.Ryan there, that has definitely changed things for me, as I'd be fine with DMcC, Harmon, and Ryan as our top 3 safeties. I don't think that Chung has anything better than 40/60 odds of making the team, and may very well be camp fodder.

3.I still think Connelly either gets cut or is forced to take a pay reduction, so that leaves IOL as a definite need, but I think they can wait until after the first couple of rounds to do so.

4.I'm much higher on the thought of RB being considered, particularly Carlos Hyde--as the big, bruising back to offset the loss of Blount.

5.I am also thinking that Belichick will target a mid round pick in rds 3-4 to address the "new" backup (when the year is over) situation, and could even move up to do so with our extra 4th rounder. Something tells me that Belichick is quite happy after finding out that we'll have an extra 4th rounder, as NONE of us saw that coming.

Wouldn't mind safety in top 3 rounds; I would be okay if we played Logan Ryan there on passing downs, but it would be one of if not the smallest safety duo in the league (neither he or McCourty are over 200lbs). Maybe we take a LB/S hybrid like Smith or KPL and play them on early downs?

Connolly definitely needs to go/take a pay cut. 4 million for a below average starter?

Don't see the need to spend a 2nd round pick on Hyde. Can get just as good of a back in the 5th or 6th round.

Would hate to draft a QB this year. Too many other needs. We could easily get an UDFA or sign a vet back up.

Wouldn't mind safety in top 3 rounds; I would be okay if we played Logan Ryan there on passing downs, but it would be one of if not the smallest safety duo in the league (neither he or McCourty are over 200lbs). Maybe we take a LB/S hybrid like Smith or KPL and play them on early downs?

Connolly definitely needs to go/take a pay cut. 4 million for a below average starter?

Don't see the need to spend a 2nd round pick on Hyde. Can get just as good of a back in the 5th or 6th round.

Would hate to draft a QB this year. Too many other needs. We could easily get an UDFA or sign a vet back up.

You make a fine point about QB, but we've seen Belichick have no qualms whatsoever about choosing 3rd round picks lately on backup QBs with O'Connell and Mallett. The fact that he brought in a ton of QBs this year and that Mallett is leaving next year seems to point in the direction that we are targeting it for sure.

Then there's the added bonus of having that extra pick in the 4th round that no one expected as well, so we'll see if that comes into play or not. 5 picks in the top 4 rounds definitely give us a bit of a bonus though, as the majority of our starters are set. I think we have needs like any other team, but we don't have any more needs than anyone else in my opinion.

I've added a player or two that I might find interesting. The rest has stayed pretty much the same.

I started off being all about Jace Amaro, until I actually scouted him. Now I'd be disappointed if we drafted him before the 3rd. Started off not really wanting a QB but the more I watch Connor Shaw, the more I want him. He's intelligent, hard working, accurate, mobile and doesn't turn the ball over. Doesn't have a cannon arm, but that's ok, when was the last time we completed a deep pass more than once a game? He's a perfect Patriot imho, and the fact that he'll probably still be there in the 7th only increases the binky factor.

I started off being all about Jace Amaro, until I actually scouted him. Now I'd be disappointed if we drafted him before the 3rd.

That's the story of the whole TE class for me! The only one who has risen in my eyes is CJF, who now stands to get overdrafted due to the lack of options. Don't be surprised if he's gone before #62.

Started off not really wanting a QB but the more I watch Connor Shaw, the more I want him. He's intelligent, hard working, accurate, mobile and doesn't turn the ball over. Doesn't have a cannon arm, but that's ok, when was the last time we completed a deep pass more than once a game? He's a perfect Patriot imho, and the fact that he'll probably still be there in the 7th only increases the binky factor.

I'm totally sold on drafting a QB at this point too, but my allegiances shift daily. Shaw is the kind of cool-headed, accurate passer the Patriots like, but he's seriously undersized. Ditto Aaron Murray, David Fales, etc

The Pats under BB have drafted 7 QBs, all at least 6'2.5" and most a lot bigger. They've generally swung for the rafters with guys who IF they panned out, had the physical tools to be huge: Cassel, O'Connell, Mallett. I just can't see them going for a prospect who barely clears 6 ft. But the bigger guys this year tend to be ciphers: Savage, Thomas, Gilbert. Keith Wenning is one compromise I like a lot, but I'm mostly muddled.

Well, unless it's an OL/G with their first pick, I can't imagine they go anything other than defense. I don't think a TE of good value will be there with their first pick so i believe they grab the best defensive player available. Although the Pats have a lot of depth at WR, they still lack in that department. I would not be disappointed with a 1st round selection (I don't think it will happen). Our offense hasn't been very intimidating recently. (Gronk Injuries play deeply into that)

Edelman
Laffell
Dobson
WR selection
Amendola
Boyce
Slater

Thompkins cut

Here's another scenario. Instead of drafting a WR, we throw a 3rd rounder at Jacksonville for Justin Blackmon. They draft Watkins in round 1. - I don't base this off anything concrete. Just a shot in the dark.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I believe S is the biggest hole on defense. Don't be surprised if they trade back and select Brock Vereen, or Jimmy Ward with first selection. If Vereen was selected in the 2nd round it would be in similar fashion to other defensive backs the Patriots have reached for.

Last edited:
That's the story of the whole TE class for me! The only one who has risen in my eyes is CJF, who now stands to get overdrafted due to the lack of options. Don't be surprised if he's gone before #62.

I'm totally sold on drafting a QB at this point too, but my allegiances shift daily. Shaw is the kind of cool-headed, accurate passer the Patriots like, but he's seriously undersized. Ditto Aaron Murray, David Fales, etc

The Pats under BB have drafted 7 QBs, all at least 6'2.5" and most a lot bigger. They've generally swung for the rafters with guys who IF they panned out, had the physical tools to be huge: Cassel, O'Connell, Mallett. I just can't see them going for a prospect who barely clears 6 ft. But the bigger guys this year tend to be ciphers: Savage, Thomas, Gilbert. Keith Wenning is one compromise I like a lot, but I'm mostly muddled.

I'm aboard the Logan Thomas train now, particularly if we keep Mallett for this year. Just too much upside to ignore.

I haven't changed my opinion that TE is a major need and we need to pick one of the top guys, but i think #29 is a bit of a reach for any of them except Ebron. Some weeks ago and the general thought was that ASJ and Amaro would not be there at #62 thought, combine changes everything, but now it's seems that there's a good chance they will be there.

My ideal scenario is trading down and picking a TE with a pick around #40 while adding at least another pick in the basket.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back