PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How has your attitude toward Welker's SB46 non-catch changed since the game?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Vote.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think even Asante got as much slack from fans in SB 42 on a pass he should have intercepted and ended that game

I hope you mean flack. And that was just the tip of the iceberg on Asante's evening. Had he made any of three plays...and two of his three errors were the dreaded mental errors.

So much stupid on this forum..

I still feel that if he catches that ball, the game is over.

I still feel that if he catches that ball, the game is over.

Me 2:spygate:

But then again maybe it's not:spygate:

Maybe there's a silly fumble or an INT or some other freakish incident.:spygate:

I don't think even Asante got as much slack from fans in SB 42 on a pass he should have intercepted and ended that game

The failed interception was lack of execution, which just happens sometimes. There is absolutely no justification at all for jogging in the background while Rodney unfairly became the scapegoat of that game, though.

Last edited:
I voted for option 3. I don't blame Welker for not catching that pass.
My only question is: Why did that catch (to a wide-open receiver) have to be so difficult
in the first place?
Welker appeared to expect the pass to arrive at his inside shoulder, yet Brady appeared
to throw the pass to his outside shoulder.
So perhaps if Welker is to be blamed for anything, it might be for running the incorrect
adjustment; for as soon as the outside DB stopped at the sticks and stayed with the
outside receiver, Welker probably should've turned toward the uncovered sideline, like
Brady appeared to think he would do.

Last edited:
You forgot to add option 4: my opinion has not changed.

I was exasperated at the time, and remain exasperated when I think about it now.

Awful thread, though. Just awful.

Last edited:
A lot of the people who want to blame Wes are probably the same ones who half-ass their way through a day's work, cut corners, and shrug off mistakes.

The guy has been Mr. Reliable for 5 years. Even if he made a mistake, he's entitled to it.

I hope you mean flack. And that was just the tip of the iceberg on Asante's evening. Had he made any of three plays...and two of his three errors were the dreaded mental errors.

Lol....yeah,flack was the appropriate word...amazing what one letter can do to screw up a point :p

Dumb ass thread

Anyone who blames Welker on the SB loss for not catching a pass that was catchable but not perfect is a full blown moron who doesn't deserve to be a fan of the Pats

Some forget about the 1,500 yards that Welker caught in the 18 games before that :rolleyes:

No Welker and who knows if this team even comes close to getting to the Super Bowl

If you change your mind about a very good player and an important cog on the offense because of one play then you need to take up another hobby because you don't deserve to be a fan.

Every great NFL player has had more than one bad moment.....I can assure you that.

We might as well hate Brady too for throwing that pick to Bailey in the 2005 divisional game or the interception to Marlin Jackson in the 2006 AFCCG :mad:

I totally agree with this. How about Gronk letting a linebacker block him from that endzone bomb ? He played the game on one leg, and was still in position for the pass ( which was short by the way ). Nobody is on his case about that missed opportunity.

They didn't lose by lack of effort or talent or mistakes. The Giants were just three points better, as the Pats were, in the three Superbowls that they've won.

I was extremely disappointed Wes dropped that pass and I still am. The throw also could have been better. I believe the Pats would have won the SB had that pass been completed. It doesn't mean Welker isn't a great slot receiver. It just means he's not a champion. Yet.

As far as how much to pay him? IMO Welker doesn't score TDs at the rate you expect from a #1 receiver. He is a #2, and should be paid as a #2.

There should be way way to give a thread -1 stars. Threads that suck away all enlightenment, like a black hole. One can only hope such a thread collapses before too much crap gets sucked in

How do you not partly blame Welker for the loss when he was part of the team that lost the Super Bowl? Lol.

Let. It. Go.

It's easy to blame a pivotal moment in a game or a select momentum changer but in every game there is more than one moment which you can look back at and say 'what if?'...and it mostly relates to 3rd down O and D.

Football has to be the most complex team sport there is world wide...it's stupid to say that one botched catch lost you the Super Bowl alone. Of course you can blame that as part of the reason you lost, but not solely.

I never really blamed Welker for it. It was a tough catch to make, but as a coach I've always said that if you can get two palms on a ball, you have to come down with it. Welker got his palms on the football and should have come down with it...he said as much himself and it just shows the kind of player and guy he is that he took that responsibility...rightfully.

There's a percentage on Brady of course...but elite receivers are known for making those grabs. Unfortunately, because of his lack in height, it's not something Wes excels at...normally he is as good as most when it comes to adjusting to a throw. It just wasn't to be on that one occasion.

Team loss. Although I don't feel the defense could have been asked much more of except for in the clutch...but they're young and they need experiences like that to learn from. You don't even smell success until you've experienced failure. I do put more of the loss on the offense than anyone else.

Last edited:
Lets ask Gisele:) Seriously, even if Welker made that catch it would not have guaranteed a victory. There was still 4:00 minutes left in the game and anything could have happened. It wasn't meant to be. Lets just focus on this years SB and hopefully both Wes and Brady can redeem themselves.

I don't blame Welker at all. I blame the second worst pass defense of all time for allowing Eli to go 30-40, chew up the clock at important parts throughout the game, and thus giving our offense less quality possessions at good field position. One could easily say that if the pass defense didn't suck like Jenna Jameson that day, the throw to Welker might not have been necessary as we would have been up more comfortably at that point.

if people are blaming Asante for 2007, then I don't see why we can't blame welker.

add to this his Rex Ryan Foot Monologue before the playoffs in 2010, blaming the pats organization for not having a new contract, etc. and welker's really starting to irritate me.

Last edited:
Looks like the poll closed with more than a supermajority of voters -- 72.36% in fact -- not blaming Welker at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back