PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How has Ocho not been let go yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe BB has a soft spot for Ochocinco I KNOW I said SOFT SPOT & BB in same sentence but he could have cut him and got a decent receiver to stretch out field. Somethings Up. BB Has 2 headed tight ends, Branch is decent and Welker is Welker so he's not panicking with Offense.

They also might as well bring him to camp next year, with the money they are on the hook for.

I don't see them cutting him this offseason either. He'll get another offseason to try and work out. We'll move on before week 1 and his salary becoming guaranteed.

I know nothing about his contract.

What I don't get is why BB is being so patient with Ochocinco when he had no problem quickly cutting ties with Joey Galloway or any of the young receivers.

Chad must have nude pictures of BB or something.
I believe it's because, while Ocho's practice performance has earned him a few reps from time-to-time, Galloway, Price, Tate, et al showed little if anything in practice. Just my opinion.

this year it seems that BB is cutting guys more so for effort and less so for production

Ocho has been more than a dissapointment, but he may be needed if a WR is hurt

he makes too much money, enough where I would expect him to be a starter....i think we may keep him through training camp next season just to see if he gets it by then

I hope he does...but he is dropping some easy balls right now, and I am not sure why, its got nothing to do with where he is or how he is, he is simply dropping them, his confidence is not there, hopefully it gets there by playoff time, I would LOVE to be able to go to a spread w/ ocho,branch,welker,gronk,hern

or even do capable 3 WR sets

They also might as well bring him to camp next year, with the money they are on the hook for.

I don't see them cutting him this offseason either. He'll get another offseason to try and work out. We'll move on before week 1 and his salary becoming guaranteed.

Not necessarily as then you risk his incurring an injury and being on the hook anyway. The one thing you don't have to worry about risking with Chad is reaching his additional $5M in incentives tied to the pro bowl and receptions... Bill can used the $1.5M he saves on the cap and $3M he saves in cash to defer some of the cost of retaining guys like Welker and Branch who actually contribute. And Brady can use the practice time is frees up to try and build a rapore with some new acquisition who actually can contribute at WR...

Chad's salary in 2012 is $3M. His cap hit is $4.5M. His dead cap is $3M... He basically got his 2011 Cincy money this year and all he had to do was add two dummy years to the deal for amortization purposes and as a reward to the team if they rescued him and it worked out... It didn't. Chad will ride off into the sunset with $6M of Robert cash and start filming the Ocho and the never was a basketball wife wedding series for Vh1... The attention he and she got when Bill took him on landed them the gig... They're a lot like the Kardashian's, celebrities by virtue of their celebrity...which is a product of mere association with actual celebrities.

this year it seems that BB is cutting guys more so for effort and less so for production

Ocho has been more than a dissapointment, but he may be needed if a WR is hurt

he makes too much money, enough where I would expect him to be a starter....i think we may keep him through training camp next season just to see if he gets it by then

I hope he does...but he is dropping some easy balls right now, and I am not sure why, its got nothing to do with where he is or how he is, he is simply dropping them, his confidence is not there, hopefully it gets there by playoff time, I would LOVE to be able to go to a spread w/ ocho,branch,welker,gronk,hern

or even do capable 3 WR sets

He always dropped a lot of balls or failed to catch what should have been catchable ones. The sheer volume of his targets in Cincy just masked that fact. Brady could still get Chad respectable yards. Problem is we'd lose because he'd be targeting him at the expense of his playmakers... I know people like him to spread the ball around, but they tend to take generalized concepts like that here to bizzaro levels...all the time.

If you're looking for a guy to just be a capable 3rd wideout then the first thing you look for is a guy who performs limited tasks consistently well moreso than occasionally performing spectacularly. That's why Randy couldn't stay (or come back) as a 3rd wideout.

Once the team cut Price,It was a 100% certainty that Ocho was going to be a member of this team from here on out in 2011.

If we had guys like Stallworth or Gaffney like in years ago as depth,he might have been gone by now

I have nothing to base this on but a feeling.....but I think if the Pats do anything in the playoffs.....Ocho will have a big part of it.....not on a 8 catch, 120 yard type of way...but in a great catch, can you believe we won that game (championship) type of way.....

Chad's salary in 2012 is $3M. His cap hit is $4.5M. His dead cap is $3M... He basically got his 2011 Cincy money this year and all he had to do was add two dummy years to the deal for amortization purposes and as a reward to the team if they rescued him and it worked out... It didn't. Chad will ride off into the sunset with $6M of Robert cash and start filming the Ocho and the never was a basketball wife wedding series for Vh1...

You could be right - I had not considered injury as a risk for putting them on the hook for that matter.

Ocho has shown moments where he might get it together, then he goes blank again.

What is with this guy? Does he really still not understand the offense, or is he really this washed up?

The Patriots are almost certain to let him go after the season I would think. I think all along he was just a one year bridge gap for them. They obviously got to seriously address this position in the off-season.

I'm not sure Branch will be back either. One or both got to go after the season. Brady loves Branch, so they might keep him on the team another year. However, Belichick does what he wants regardless of what Tom wants.

I have nothing to base this on but a feeling.....but I think if the Pats do anything in the playoffs.....Ocho will have a big part of it.....not on a 8 catch, 120 yard type of way...but in a great catch, can you believe we won that game (championship) type of way.....

....so help me god, all I can think of is....The Lord of the Rings...

"Remember what Gandalf said? Even Gollum may play a part..."

I think it makes sense to keep him because Branch has only played a 16game season once in his career...and who do you put in if he goes down?? Tiquan Underwood?(then again he had about the same production on sunday)

I think the move for Ochocinco made sense in the offseason, Welker was an 800yard receiver last year, Gronk was good but only a 500yard guy, deion a year older and Hernandez another 500 yard reciever.

fast forward...both Welker/Gronk have exploded and doubled their production...and Branch/Hernandez are looking to have even better years in the passing game.

and while much is said that we are a 2WR/2TE set team....Aaron Hernandez is technically our 3rd WR...he runs routes as if he is one and isnt much of a blocker. so at the end of the day who would you rather have on the field?? Ocho or Hernandez? hernandez creates more matchup problems for the defense...and Branch shares half a brain with brady

Please. He's a huge let down. 6 Mill for him to get one catch every 3 games? Thats not what was expected of him.
Chad Johnson is currently on the roster because Brandon Tate and Taylor Price no longer are. Unless you know of a wide receiver currently unemployed, Chad Johnson is the best available option.

If a rookie looked as lost and useless as 85 has, he'd be cut within a matter of days. How he still has a roster spot is beyond me. It's painful to watch. And good luck to those who still think he'll turn it around and contribute something to this team, it's not gonna happen.

Ocho is da man! Love that guy. Glad he is on the team. Better late than never. He is a solid #3 or #4 at this point in his career. It is what it is.

Ocho is a bum now, he clearly hasn't contributed anything to this season and isn't the same player he was before. The Bengals aren't the greatest of organizations but trading Chad wasn't a big deal because I'm sure they knew he couldn't produce at a high level anymore. I don't want to hear about how he doesn't know the playbook fully, this and that, sure it's a difficult offense to understand but why can't he just run a fade route or go deep like he used to with Palmer? Well..I think its time to stop waiting and thinking he's going to break out because I seriously don't think he will now. There's been times where I forget that he's even on this team anymore during games and Belichick needs to cut it with the ''Chad's done everything we've asked him, blah, blah'' because if that was anyone else that looked so off, he would be gone in no time. I mean, this is the guy we gave up Moss for? I mean, for **** sakes. We could have got Brandon Lloyd, Eddie Royal, James Jones, Braylon Edwards. I just don't understand why were wasting Bradys last years with these clowns, all we need is one more weapon at wide receiver and were set. I just don't get it...

Nah, thats Branch. Much as I love Branch and was upset when we let him go to Seattle, he's kinda wuss. Ocho has balls. He's just not using them.

IIRC, Branch was coached to do that his first go-round here, presumably on the theory that he couldn't take the punishment otherwise.

the scary thing is(at least for Ocho) is that Tiquan Underwood who was signed 2 weeks ago is getting more snaps than ocho...so at this point, it seems like Underwood knows the plays better than ocho does

now, I know the 3rd wr role isnt a big one, but you have to imagine that Brandon Tate, underwood or any other WR on the cheap could give us 200yards for a fraction of the price of ocho

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back