PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How good will Brian Cushing be?

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I watched a bit of theTexans game last night and he seemed to be very active. What are your thoughts on him and do you wish we had grabbed him?
Some people here wanted him last draft and others did not.
Would he have helped us?
thanks

Based on his rookie season, Brian Cushing is going to be a very good 4-3 SAM LB. He's so far been much better than what I expected, and is a leading candidate for DROY. I have to give him credit - I never saw this coming.

With that in mind, I don't see him as a god fit for the Pats. First, he's still got long term injury concerns and a question of steroid history which concerns me. Second, his strengths are in coverage and pursuit/tackling, not in taking on blockers and doing a lot of the things BB demands from his LBs. Third, I don't think he has the size to hold up as a 3-4 OLB in our system. As a 4-3 SAM, yes, but not as a 3-4 OLB.

But again, he's doing a terrific job for Houston. Give the kid credit.

What are your thoughts on him and do you wish we had grabbed him?

Cushing has looked terrific, and I'll cheerfully admit I was the last to predict it. But as for wishing we had grabbed him...Cushing was taken #15 overall, so it would have taken picks #23 + 58. Here's what the Pats got with those picks instead:

Darius Butler + Sebastian Vollmer + Brandon Tate + Julian Edelman + JAX 2nd-round pick in 2010

So I'm ok as is. :)

Cushing has looked terrific, and I'll cheerfully admit I was the last to predict it. But as for wishing we had grabbed him...Cushing was taken #15 overall, so it would have taken picks #23 + 58. Here's what the Pats got with those picks instead:

Darius Butler + Sebastian Vollmer + Brandon Tate + Julian Edelman + JAX 2nd-round pick in 2010

So I'm ok as is. :)

As good has Cushing has been (and I take nothing away from what he has done for Houston, which has been huge), I think Butler and Vollmer will end up being much better players for us in the long run. Possibly even Tate too, though that's a long ways off.

Easily DROTY, and that's with players like Jairus Byrd and Jerraud Powers having outstanding rookie seasons (and in Byrd's case, having the big statistics to back his play up).

From what I've seen, Cushing has been the best OLB in the league this year, let alone the best rookie OLB - his entry and effect has been Patrick Willis-esque. He looks like an All Pro from the get go.

Would he have been a fit for us? In the 3-4, not a chance, although he likely would have got some playing time thanks to us playing more 4-3 this year. He wouldn't have had anything like the success in our D that he has in Houston though.

But that's not to take anything away from him or criticise what the Texans are doing. He's been fabulous.

Would he have been a fit for us? In the 3-4, not a chance, although he likely would have got some playing time thanks to us playing more 4-3 this year. He wouldn't have had anything like the success in our D that he has in Houston though.

He would have fit in fine at ILB with ability to play some OLB especially in 3-4 sets. The 09 draft has worked out pretty damn well so far, no complaints from me.

He would have fit in fine at ILB with ability to play some OLB especially in 3-4 sets. The 09 draft has worked out pretty damn well so far, no complaints from me.

I think you're right. Cushing would have been fine as a 3-4 ILB/4-3 SAM. But I doubt he would have excelled in our system the way he has in Houston, and I think in the long run McKenzie will provide much the same things.

The kid is doing very well, from Rotoworld "Texans SLB Brian Cushing was named Defensive Rookie of the Month for November.

It was well earned. Cushing is not only in the driver's seat for Defensive Rookie of the Year honors, he's also earned serious consideration for All Pro honors. Profootballfocus.com has Cushing rated as the top 4-3 outside linebacker in the league this season."

Brian Cushing

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back