PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How good is Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

That was a response to the poster who said he had played 53/76 plays against the Bills.

My argument is that Welker isnt an elite WR when on the outside. He isnt. You cant tell me he is.

And you cant be considered a top 5 WR in the league w/o being able to do that.

However, you dont need him to be that. He is very productive in the role he is best at...

In the 52-7 pasting of Washington last year, the Redskins put the very fast London Fletcher on Welker. They hoped to beat the crap out of him. Instead, the little guy took every hit like a man and even dished out some punishment on Fletcher in the running game. It was one of the most unheralded big-time performances I've ever seen from a football player.

Regards,
Chris

Welker is very tough... and one of the tougher players in the league pound for pound...

Some people in the league transcend their position. Wes Welker isn't a wide receiver, he's a football player who happens to be a wide receiver. IMO there isn't a better compliment you can give someone in this game.

He's this team's Dustin Pedroia. Best 3rd down weapon in the game.

If Welker was black, he'd be considered one of the best WRs in the game, hands down. But since he's white, he gets stuck with the unfair label of possession receiver. There's very much a stereotyping of races at various positions - black quarterbacks, for example, are usually considered mobile but their arms are usually underestimated.

maybe, but i think its more of a height hting...

b/c welker isnt tall, there is no way he can be a top reciever....

He's this team's Dustin Pedroia. Best 3rd down weapon in the game.

Kevin Faulk might object to that statement. ;)

Seriously, though, this site did a breakdown of the Redskins Massacre, and came to an interesting conclusion:

In taking a closer look at the Patriots offense, I noticed the centerpeice of this offense (other than the quarterback) is Wes Welker:

I can't grasp how people don't understand the difference between a flanker, a split end and a y. These days they are all lumped into the "reciever" category. There is a different job description for each position, and a different skill set for each one as well. Some positions, IE Flanker call for a long, speedy guy who has good ball skills and decent agility. Not spectacular agility, but the ability to make a hard cut on a dig or an out. They need to have good hands (not in the catching sense, but in getting off of jams and keeping their hands free from a defender playing catch-up) and they need to not stare at the ball. Others, namely the slot position call for a highly agile player with good toughness, great awareness and tremendous footwork. In my opinion, the slot is the hardest to play due to the multitude of responsibilities. They need to be able to crack down, they need to be able to run a screen, they need to be able to block safeties and wills/sams, they need to run the ball after the catch and they need to have the concentration to run through the hook to curl zone.

Welker, even with all of the admiration and praise that he gets is tremendously underrated. I have never seen a reciever with his footwork. I have never seen a reciever who runs with his pad level. It's so colloquial to lump all recievers together and compare who is best. The fact is, a z can't play y and vice versa. Z's get all the praise because they are long yardage and end-zone guys who make highlight catches and run 4.2's, but in terms of importance to the offense they don't outweigh the y. Welker is the best y in the league, arguably the best ever. He is also a top three player on the offense when Brady is in the game.

Last edited:
I can't grasp how people don't understand the difference between a flanker, a split end and a y. These days they are all lumped into the "reciever" category. There is a different job description for each position, and a different skill set for each one as well. Some positions, IE Flanker call for a long, speedy guy who has good ball skills and decent agility. Not spectacular agility, but the ability to make a hard cut on a dig or an out. They need to have good hands (not in the catching sense, but in getting off of jams and keeping their hands free from a defender playing catch-up) and they need to not stare at the ball. Others, namely the slot position call for a highly agile player with good toughness, great awareness and tremendous footwork. In my opinion, the slot is the hardest to play due to the multitude of responsibilities. They need to be able to crack down, they need to be able to run a screen, they need to be able to block safeties and wills/sams, they need to run the ball after the catch and they need to have the concentration to run through the hook to curl zone.

Welker, even with all of the admiration and praise that he gets is tremendously underrated. I have never seen a reciever with his footwork. I have never seen a reciever who runs with his pad level. It's so colloquial to lump all recievers together and compare who is best. The fact is, a z can't play y and vice versa. Z's get all the praise because they are long yardage and end-zone guys who make highlight catches and run 4.2's, but in terms of importance to the offense they don't outweigh the y. Welker is the best y in the league, arguably the best ever. He is also a top three player on the offense when Brady is in the game.

or out of it

or out of it

Yeah, I did a bad job of explaining myself on that one. What I mean is when Brady is on the field, Brady is the best player on the offense. This season, Welker is 1b barely behind Moss.

Last edited:
Brady is the man…so he completes it to Welker anyways

a skins fan i would love to have on this board

Yeah, I did a bad job of explaining myself on that one. What I mean is when Brady is on the field, Brady is the best player on the offense. This season, Welker is 1b barely behind Moss.

Nothing against Randy but, given his physical limitations, I believe Welker is a far more impressive player than Moss. And Welker plays with a chip on his shoulder.

I also feel that last year Welker was very close to being as valuable to this offense as Brady was. This year with Stallworth being gone, Moss is the most valuable player in our offense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey