PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How good is Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How good is Wes Welker? He is so good that great just called and said it had to retire because it wasnt as good as Welker.

Apparently Dennis Northcutt is comparable to our own Wes Welker ;)

If the sun got too close to Wes Welker the sun would melt.

Well he had 67 catches for 687 yards with the LOLphins in 2006, and that was with the three-headed monster of Culpepper, Harrington, and Lemon tossing the football. :)

He was also the leading receiver of that team. When we played him the first game, we couldn't cover him in the slot,couldn't cover him on punt returns, he also kicked a field goal and a point after when their kicker went down.

Actually there were a lot of pissed of geniuses who claimed we overpaid in trade price and salary for Welker.

Then there was that one guy who can't post here anymore who claimed trading for him was a mistake and the Stallworth and Moss signings proved that and once Moss was signed Wes should have been cut except BB was probably going to be too stubborn to admit he'd made a mistake in acquiring another midget receiver...

Actually there were a lot of pissed of geniuses who claimed we overpaid in trade price and salary for Welker.

Then there was that one guy who can't post here anymore who claimed trading for him was a mistake and the Stallworth and Moss signings proved that and once Moss was signed Wes should have been cut except BB was probably going to be too stubborn to admit he'd made a mistake in acquiring another midget receiver...

Well, we did get great value for him... and turned it into a great player.

The trade seems to have worked out well for both teams...

How good is Wes Welker? He is so good that great just called and said it had to retire because it wasnt as good as Welker.

LMAO, nice

He is not one of the best WRs in the league... but he absolutely is THE best slot WR in the game. He is practically uncoverable out of the slot, and is a unique weapon to an offense.

I disagree with this logic. It is like stating that Bryant McKinnie is a better OLineman then Steve Hutchinson. They are different positions that have different roles. Just because Hutchinson isn't a LT doesn't mean he is not one of the best OLineman in the game.

I strongly feel that Wes Welker is one of the best WR's in the game (not necessarily top 5 but I do think top 10). Now if you did a Wide Receiver Club type compeition he might not perform better then Dante Stallowrth, but when he is one of 11 on the field he is one of the best WR's in the game.

Last edited:
He also kicked a field goal and a point after when their kicker went down.

That was actually in 2004. He had nine catches in the first MIA game in 2006; the Pats held him to zero catches in the rematch, but had to double team him to do it.

And either Rodney or Hobbs noted that they still can't cover him--except now it's in practice, so nobody sees that. :)

Wonder if he'd be a good CB...

Funny, I wasn't aware of anyone bashing Welker's performance on the field. :confused: Where did you get that idea?

I disagree with this logic. It is like stating that Bryant McKinnie is a better OLineman then Steve Hutchinson. They are different positions that have different roles. Just because Hutchinson isn't a LT doesn't mean he is not one of the best OLineman in the game.

I strongly feel that Wes Welker is one of the best WR's in the game (not necessarily top 5 but I do think top 10). Now if you did a Wide Receiver Club type compeition he might not perform better then Dante Stallowrth, but when he is one of 11 on the field he is one of the best WR's in the game.

Well, the thing about Welker is that his "role" is a position that isnt always on the field. A slot WR can only play in 3 WR sets... and cant play in base offenses (although, last year the 3 WR package WAS your base offense).

Welker cant play on the outside... so b/c of that he cant be on the field for every offensive possession... which IMO makes him less valuable than a RandyMoss/LarryFitz/AndreJohnson/etc...

Welker could never be a #1 on a team... so thats why he isnt one of the best overall WRs in the league.

Hes one of the best slot WRs to ever play though...

Well, the thing about Welker is that his "role" is a position that isnt always on the field. A slot WR can only play in 3 WR sets... and cant play in base offenses (although, last year the 3 WR package WAS your base offense).

Not true. Against the Bills, Welker played 53 of 76 snaps. Here's what the Pats used.

3 WR/1 TE/1 RB -- 30 of 76 snaps
1 WR/2 TE/1 FB/1 RB -- 17 of 76
2 WR/2 TE/1 RB -- 14 of 76
4 WR/1 RB -- 10 of 76
3 TE/1 FB/1 RB -- 5 of 76

In other words, they can and do use Welker even in their two-receiver sets.

Not true. Against the Bills, Welker played 53 of 76 snaps. Here's what the Pats used.

3 WR/1 TE/1 RB -- 30 of 76 snaps
1 WR/2 TE/1 FB/1 RB -- 17 of 76
2 WR/2 TE/1 RB -- 14 of 76
4 WR/1 RB -- 10 of 76
3 TE/1 FB/1 RB -- 5 of 76

In other words, they can and do use Welker even in their two-receiver sets.

You basically made my point for me...

He only started 2/3rds of your offensive snaps? What percentage of offensive snaps does Andre Johnson play? How about Brandon Marshall? Randy Moss? T.O.? Reggie Wayne? They only come off in the goalline formations with no WRs. And that is a lot less than a 1/3rd of the plays...

Welker may be used in 2 WR sets... but that doesnt mean he is good at it... and he certainly isnt dominant outside...

Dont take it as a rip on him. Its not. I loved him when he was in Miami. When out of the slot, hes one of the better weapons in the league... and easily one of the best chain movers in the league...

Last edited:
the pats use welker on 2 wr sets, they have him at the slot, and have randy wide....

just one outside reciever...

but he is best utilized in the slot w/ multiple recievers around him

You basically made my point for me...

He only started 2/3rds of your offensive snaps? What percentage of offensive snaps does Andre Johnson play? How about Brandon Marshall? Randy Moss? T.O.? Reggie Wayne? They only come off in the goalline formations with no WRs. And that is a lot less than a 1/3rd of the plays...

Welker may be used in 2 WR sets... but that doesnt mean he is good at it... and he certainly isnt dominant outside...

Dont take it as a rip on him. Its not. I loved him when he was in Miami. When out of the slot, hes one of the better weapons in the league... and easily one of the best chain movers in the league...

Oh, for crying out loud...

Offensive participation - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

[URL="http://www.thescoreboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90605"]http://www.thescoreboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90605[/URL]

Offensive participation - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Offensive participation - New England Patriots, NFL

Your argument makes no sense when you look at the snaps over the course of the season.

Last edited:
In the 52-7 pasting of Washington last year, the Redskins put the very fast London Fletcher on Welker. They hoped to beat the crap out of him. Instead, the little guy took every hit like a man and even dished out some punishment on Fletcher in the running game. It was one of the most unheralded big-time performances I've ever seen from a football player.

Regards,
Chris

In the 52-7 pasting of Washington last year, the Redskins put the very fast London Fletcher on Welker. They hoped to beat the crap out of him. Instead, the little guy took every hit like a man and even dished out some punishment on Fletcher in the running game. It was one of the most unheralded big-time performances I've ever seen from a football player.

Regards,
Chris

Please call that game by it's correct name: The Redskin Massacre.

If Welker was black, he'd be considered one of the best WRs in the game, hands down. But since he's white, he gets stuck with the unfair label of possession receiver. There's very much a stereotyping of races at various positions - black quarterbacks, for example, are usually considered mobile but their arms are usually underestimated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back