PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How good is Sameul & what is he worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I figured this question would keep coming up throughout the season as he enters free agency.

Personally, its tough for me to decide just how good Asante Samuel is. There's been so many injuries and changes in the secondary over the last few years, that when it looks like Sameul has made a mistake, there's a fair chance maybe it's not his fault.

What do you guys think? How much will he go for in FA?

BradyManny2344 said:
I figured this question would keep coming up throughout the season as he enters free agency.

Personally, its tough for me to decide just how good Asante Samuel is. There's been so many injuries and changes in the secondary over the last few years, that when it looks like Sameul has made a mistake, there's a fair chance maybe it's not his fault.

I don't know what comp level he'll reach, but I would say he's been indispensable to the Patriots. For starters, when's the last time the guy's been hurt and missed a game? Compared to all our other db's, he's an iron man.

He's also a good tackler and an above average cover corner. I never understood the criticism of Assante.

I think the Pats will make a big effort to re-sign him.

He is a solid starting calibre cornerback. No more, no less. As the last poster said, he's been the most dependable CB we've had in years. I think we'll offer an extension, but if he gets to open market, somebody will offer more. The guy was only a fourth round pick, so he hasn't made much money yet in his career, relatively speaking. I imagine he'll follow the money.

BradyManny2344 said:

As it stands now Hobbs is the only CB under contract beyond this year (The Patriots may have exclusive or restricted rights to Gay but he cannot be relied upon to stay healthy).

I would like to see the Pats sign Samuels, not because he is the top CB in the league but because he is better than average, knows the system and is reliable. If a playmaker (FA or Draft) is added to the core of Hobbs & Samuels we would have above average corners for the next 3-5 years.

Guess at the numbers 5 years 20.5M, with 3.5 upfront. Just a guess, but I would like to see them sign Samuels and then try to sign Koppen. Graham is good but TEs can be replaced and he may be priced out of their system, really he is a 1.5 not a #1 and better than a #2.

More background info...
- Not exactly the greatest FA season for CBs next year, once you get beyond Nate Clements the list is just a bunch of guys.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagentsDB.html
- Makes signing #22 more important (IMO)

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
He is a solid starting calibre cornerback. No more, no less. As the last poster said, he's been the most dependable CB we've had in years. I think we'll offer an extension, but if he gets to open market, somebody will offer more. The guy was only a fourth round pick, so he hasn't made much money yet in his career, relatively speaking. I imagine he'll follow the money.

I agree, after a dip in my opinion of him last season where I thought he was awful (but they all were), this season he's evened back off. I think he's solid. If we can resign him for middle of the pack money, then good, but if he wants the big ticket I'm sure it'll come from elsewhere.

Brownfan80 said:
I agree, after a dip in my opinion of him last season where I thought he was awful (but they all were), this season he's evened back off. I think he's solid. If we can resign him for middle of the pack money, then good, but if he wants the big ticket I'm sure it'll come from elsewhere.

Yes I agree, but it will not be the end of the world if he hits the road. We have those 2 first round picks to replace him.

Good answers above - nice analysis by all.

My two cents:

Patriots know how good he really is, by studying coaches film and knowing who had which coverage and who was screwing up or making good plays.

Patriots will determine the value, make him a fair offer and hopefully he stays.

Just like Koppen & Graham (I really hope they all stay), but if they are looking for crazy money or some offers of crazy money come their way - see ya and thanks for everything.

Patriot model RULES!!!!!

BradyManny2344 said:

I think that he is an average CB and should be paid as an average CB. He neither really good or really bad. Just solid. He does have good ball skills which the Patriots liked when they drafted him.

Even if we get lucky and sign a FA ringer and draft another, he would be valuable as a backup/nickle. I don't know what he pay scale is for an average corner right now.

They should (and will) make an effort to sign Samuel but as others have said he is an average corner and should be paid like one. If the Pats go deep into the playoffs this year again some team will probably overpay for him, and getting Graham signed should be priority over Samuel anyway.

I agree that he is average. He is not a shut down corner. He is the benefit of a good defensive scheme.

Curran on one of the talk shows last Sunday, felt he was a nickel back forced to play as a regular safety, which makes some sense, but then he had a monster game on Sunday. He benefits from a great defensive system and great coaching.

Koppen and Samuels will be priorities to resign

Samuel is an average cornerback, the kind of guy you fill out your team with. He is worth maybe $1-$2M a season.

Cornerback is a premium NFL position salary-wise. Someone will be dumb enough to give him $3-$4M a season.

Asante is gone.

I would not use the word "average", as it kind of connotes "below-average". Assante is nowhere near that. He'd be a starter for many teams in this league.

It's better to refer to him as a starting corner, as that's the role he's played on a great team for several years now. He's also young, and is likely to get better.

GJAJ15 said:
Curran on one of the talk shows last Sunday, felt he was a nickel back forced to play as a regular safety, which makes some sense, but then he had a monster game on Sunday. He benefits from a great defensive system and great coaching.
Samuel doesn't play safety. He is a CB.

NE is the proving grounds for many teams. Samuel will require 2+ million a year. In Patriots math, it might just be worth it it. If, IF, Samuel can get 4 mill, then he's gone. I imagine the Pats are wait-n-see with him. They might go to 3, but not too much more. He's pretty good, but not great. It is an expensive position, and one that is increasingly less important to have covered (have you seen the latest pass coverage infractions?). These days, you only need a quick, smart guy that knows the rules, not a phenomenal athlete that impresses the fans and writurds. Hank Poteat, anyone?

I consider him a solid, second-tier CB who I'd prefer to see as the nickel.

TomBrady'sGoat said:
Samuel is an average cornerback, the kind of guy you fill out your team with. He is worth maybe $1-$2M a season.

Cornerback is a premium NFL position salary-wise. Someone will be dumb enough to give him $3-$4M a season.

Asante is gone.

Transition for corners is $4.7M this year, so that is top 10 average. Franchise is $5.9M. The great ones make in the $6M+ range, very good starters make $4-5M. Good or average starter money is in the $2-3M+ range.
I think we will offer him a similar deal to what we offered Townsend who is a similar player and has been a starter for Pittsburgh although they would prefer to use him at nickel. Reportedly we offered a similar deal to what Pittsburgh gave him - 4/$8M plus around $1.5M in incentives with about $3M guaranteed. Asante is around 4 years younger. 5/$12.5-15M with incentives and $4M up front. I don't think he will get a ton of interest at more than that unless he really re-emerges this year. Even then, last season kind of exposed him as a very nice player on a defense with a great front 7 and scheme. Absent that he can be abyssmal, but he has been durable.

Unless someone better comes along we need to keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes