PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How good are our corners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it is "good enough" if we re-sign Bodden, the front seven improves, and the kids improve.

It would seem that we have FOUR question marks, with only Butler a sure thing to have a place somewhere on the roster. It would seem that the secondary will be a high-priority focus for Belichick during free agency.

BODDEN
We will pay someone to be our #1 corner. Will it be Bodden?

SPRINGS
He is most likely of the four to be returning in some role. While he is expensive, he can do anything needed, including being a resonable #2.

BUTLER
His roster spot is secure, but is he a #2 for 2010?

WILHITE/WHEATLEY
Will both really be part of our future?

BOTTOM LINE
Even if Bodden re-signs, it is very possible that a free agent corner can make this team.

Yes, it is "good enough" if we re-sign Bodden, the front seven improves, and the kids improve.

It would seem that we have FOUR question marks, with only Butler a sure thing to have a place somewhere on the roster. It would seem that the secondary will be a high-priority focus for Belichick during free agency.

BODDEN

SPRINGS
He is most likely of the four to be returning in some role. While he is expensive, he can do anything needed, including being a resonable #2.

BUTLER

WILHITE/WHEATLEY

BOTTOM LINE
Even if Bodden re-signs, it is very possible that a free agent corner can make this team.

I agree with most of the things you said. Bodden is our #1 corner and Butler #2. Wilhite and Wheatley should be written off at this point. Springs is a bit of a question mark. I wouldnt be surprised to see BB pick up a FA corner and bring him in and possibly draft a CB in rounds 2 or 3 and have Springs, the FA and draftee battle for 2 roster spots.

With coaching, Wilhite would be greatttt. Give the kid some time. He is always where the ball is.

Last edited:
they need to re-sign Bodden, they can't keep going in to the draft every year takeing a CB on the first day. there are to many holes on this team to keep fixing the same spot over and over again.

Shawn Springs, will be 35 nuff said.

wilhite, gets burned to much to be a nickel back

Terrence Wheatley, is not even wort talking about

butler. may step up and be the #1 or #2 next year if not he is no worst then a good nickel back.

IMO butler is going to be great next year. and if Bodden, is back with a real pass rush dose 2 will be fun to watch. but the rest of the guys are all ? they can use some more dept at CB maybe sign a JAG and a 4th round pick.

Bodden was the RCB or #2 in every game he started this season.

BODDEN

SPRINGS

BUTLER

WILHITE/WHEATLEY

BOTTOM LINE

Bodden = Hobbs, which likely means that he's not going to get the big money. Perhaps Belichick realizes his mistake, though, and decides to wait until he's sure the players behind him are actually ready to do the job before moving on.

Butler and Wheatley are the keys to this team's cornerback position, for better or worse. Wilhite should have a pretty solid career as a nickel/dime DB.

Springs is a year older and, given his uneven season combined with a salary of more than $2 million both this year and next, is a possible cut.

Last edited:
What about Arrington? Is he a STer only?

In his second year with the Patriots, Ty Law was a #1 CB.

It took Asante Samuel about 4 years to reach that level, as in his rookie year he played less than Butler.

He came on his second year and had a middling season. By his 3rd year, he was playing really well, and in his 4th, he became a #1 CB.

So, I think Butler will have a year not as good as Ty Law's second year, but better than Samuel's third.

We'll be looking at him starting opposite Bodden, and many days we'll be saying that he is the better CB.

I think Butler had a very good rookie season for a corner, Bodden should be re-signed (to an incentive laden deal I think he's lazy if he isn't playing for his paycheck) Wilhite is worth keeping as a 3rd or 4th corner we should sign a vet or draft one if its best player available in the 2nd. I don't think our corners are our main issue. I know I'm beating a dead horse here but our corners will look a hell of a lot better when we get an elite pass rush. I mean do the Colts Ravens, or Steelers ever have great corners? Not really they just force the QB into making mistakes all the time (like we USED TO).

I think we'll be okay at CB even if Bodden isn't retained, if Butler progresses as I expect. I'm fine with Butler-Springs as the starting duo, Wilhite also I'm not ready to give up on. He gets picked on but he's not Deltha O'neal. Yes, if there is a reasonably priced FA somewhere out there bring him in but too many other needs to make a real move at CB this offseason. I mean, can anybody even name Indy's CB's right now? Let's focus on that front 7, '08 was the only time poor CB play really hurt us and we're well ahead of that even w/o Bodden.

Wonder how much Ellis Hobbs would cost? Though I doubt he would want to come back here.

Arrington is a special teamer with an outside chance for the #5 CB roster spot. I expect him to be here as a STer in any case, so he will be given time to possibly develop a defensive back. He would be expected to always be active, so he needs to be good enough at least for garbage time.

What about Arrington? Is he a STer only?

Bodden and Butler will be infinitely better if we can get them any form of pass rush. Wilhite is better suited for the nickel than a boundary corner position. He is able to stay with receivers better, play further up and make more plays on the ball.

I say maybe take a flier on a corner, but work on the pass rush first; that's more important IMO.

Even if we resign Bodden, picking up a few low cost corners to compete in camp is a must. They either beat out Wilhite and Wheatley for spots, or the competition pushes them in camp to progress.

And I'm not as down on Wilhite as some here. He needs to work on looking back for the ball, but he's a serviceable player with potential to grow. About what you'd expect from a 4th rounder, IMO.

Less high on Wheatley.

People are already giving up on Wilhite? Wow.

I think Bodden and Butler is the prime starting combination. I think Bodden could more or less be a Samuel-esque player, depending on the pass rush.

I think Bodden and Butler is the prime starting combination. I think Bodden could more or less be a Samuel-esque player, depending on the pass rush.

Bodden is a good cover corner, he is not a risk taker like Samuel.

I agree Bodden and Butler is a quality starting combo. Springs is a big question mark. I would think the Pats will bring in another corner whether it is from FA or the draft.

Wilhite is awful. People have every right to give up on him.

I think we're in trouble if Bodden isn't re-signed or adequately replaced. Butler, Wilhite, Wheatley, and whoever else (Springs, Arrington?) is a pretty horrible CB lineup.

Bodden had a solid season but I'm not as high on him as some others were. I can't see us paying him 7-8 million per year. I think Butler has a ton of potential and should be a big contributor next year.

I know a lot of people are down on Wilhite but I'm not. He's sticks with his man very well, he has fluid hips, and is in position to make plays on the ball. The only issue he has is making the play on the ball. He's caught with his back to the QB too often. I've watched Revis develop as a CB, and he had the same problem early in his career. He was great at staying with his guy but he didn't make plays on the ball. Obviously he's worked on that and become the best CB in the game. Now I am by no means saying that Wilhite is or will ever be as good as Revis, but I think Wilhite is going to be a very good CB for us, especially if we improve our pass rush. I don't think he's as physical as a Revis but I think right now he is very much like Asante without the ballhawking aspect of his game, where his movement and ability to stay with a WR is very good. I think with some good coaching he can be a difference maker in the secondary. I think Wilhite is going to have a great year next year.

I'm not giving up on Wheatley yet either. But 2010 will be a big season for him to see where he stands. I had high hopes for him coming out of college and I hope he can be more of a contributor this year on defense.

I really like Kyle Arrington as a special teamer. Good find by Belichick and Caserio. He should definitely make the team.

I was never a big fan of Springs and at his age I don't know if he'll be back but at the very least he's a good vet to have around to work with some of the kids.

I'd rather take the 7-8 million that people are projecting Bodden will get and put it toward a WR/LB in free agency.

First things first, Springs needs to take a hike.

Regardless or whether Bodden re-signs, Butler should be the Pats #1 CB in 2010.

As much as I think Wilhite stinks, Samuel was pretty bad his first couple of years in New England. In fact, he was terrible as a full time starter in 2005. The only reason his play went unnoticed was because of the legend known as Duane Starks. Finally, as bad as Wilhite has been, at least he's able to play (unlike Wheatley).

In 2010, the Pats need to find a combo and stick to it. Like the RB position, the Pats need to stop with the musical chairs at CB. Their defense is such as mess, I don't even know who their starters are anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots