Welcome to PatsFans.com

How frightening far we've fallen

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

Is it really any surprise the shape our country is in? We're probably not a hell of a lot more popular in the world than the Saudis. Our economy is such a disaster that the government is forced to spend record sums to quickly generate jobs and, hopefully, stem the economy from spiraling out of control.

But, in a way saddest of all, is how low the age of Reaganism has sunk our great nation in terms of its anti-science ignorance. I think the numbers reported below will start to turn around under the relatively enlightened leadership of Obama and the Democratic Congress. Those numbers better turn around if we're to remain competitive and avoid getting caught up in ideological wars. Intelligent Design is patently absurd. It's basically the science of, "Gee whiz, nature's so awesome that it can't possibly be explained by science; it had to be put together by God (or aliens)."

Pew Research Center: Darwin Debated: Religion vs. Evolution

In the 150 years since he published his groundbreaking On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, and the 200 years since the date of his birth celebrated this week, Charles Darwin has failed to convince the majority of Americans of the validity of his theories; an August 2006 survey by the Pew Research Center's Forum on Religion & Public Life and the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, found that 63% of Americans say they believe that humans and other animals have either always existed in their present form or have evolved over time under the guidance of a supreme being while only 26% say that life evolved solely through processes such as natural selection. A similar Pew Research Center poll, released in August 2005, found that 64% of Americans support teaching creationism alongside evolution in the classroom.

Here's a graphic that compares the US to other countries:

[​IMG]

File:Views on Evolution.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +715 / 20 / -30

Read this this morning, and what is not pointed out is 36% do not care and 25% believe in intellligent design.. it may be more a sign of the economic times than anything else.

3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Such great news!!!!

Now there is real hope!!! I know you didn't intend it this way, Patters, but you have brought inspiration and joy to billions by pointing this out!!!

Just to know that the vast majority of Americans have not been scammed into believing the materialist/atheist garbage of the Far Left means that God can still work, more now than ever before.

[size=+5]Halleluja!!! Halleluja!!! Halleluja!!!

[/size]

:singing: ................... :singing:................... :singing:

//

4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +357 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

You really are a Festering Sore on the azz of humanity

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  5. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Patters,

What color is the sky in your world? Seriously :confused:

6. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +357 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

I never understood the adulation for Reagon. I appreciate his rebuilding the military but as for the rest he gave us Supply Side Economics that VOODOO Economic theory of deregulation of banks,big oil, large corporate tax breaks, disposable works, anti unionism, Privitisation of every thing (hello KBR) That has brought us to this juncture. To the brink of economic collapse. Not to mention the dumbing down of the populace of this country by cutting funding for schools and science. I didn't read your article Patters i didn't have to. I remember it as it happened.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  7. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

[size=+5] May God bless you, young man, and may you grow in His Grace.[/size]

:singing: ...........................:singing:.............................:singing:

//

8. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The government is not forced to do anything. The politicians are using the bad economy as an excuse to grab more power and money for whatever group they pander to; banks and corporations on the right, unions and healthcare on the left. Gov't spending didn't result in quick generation of jobs in the depression, it didn't help Japan in their lost decade, it didn't help anything with the original $700 billion layout.

Patters sometimes I read your posts and just shake my head. You really think Reaganism is to blame for Americans believing in creationism? Really? Many of those people are religious idealogues who's minds wouldn't be changed by someone "enlightened" like Obama saying evolution is true. You need to deal with the fact that there are a lot of Christians in this country, there always have been, and with immigration of more and more Catholics from Europe and South/Central America that is not going to change. Its not the government's fault, some of the best evolution research in the world is done in the US with public funds, and that was just as true under Reagan and Bush as it was under Carter and Clinton.

By the way we just had 8 years of a President who believes in the theory of evolution:

"I think the creation of the world is so mysterious it requires something as large as an almighty and I don't think it's incompatible with the scientific proof that there is evolution."

Bush: I believe in evolution AND God - but I'm not sure he voted for me for president | Mail Online

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

Reagan signaled a cultural shift. Under Kennedy, the sciences became increasingly important and that was pretty much embraced in education policy and national policy through Carter. But, under Reagan, we shifted from science to business and religious groups gained a lot more influence. Regardless of Bush's personal beliefs (and Clinton's too), the influence of science decreased as the influence of religious groups increased and business fields began attracting talent that would have otherwise have gone into the sciences.

10. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Science is a business, and the business-friendly policies of the 80s through today allowed for some of the greatest scientific achievements known to man by American researchers and American companies. The "Age of Reagan" was also the dawn of personal computing as well as biotechnology. Scientific research of all kinds has been well funded throughout our recent history. Any cuts were small and at times when other offices were being cut as well.

I guess the other part of it is let's assume there was a cultural shift (what would that same poll you posted have been in 1960? 1970?), do you blame the government for it or the people? And again making an assumption and saying it was the people, what should the government have done? More money? Strong statements ridiculing creationism?

11. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Reagan was the "result" of Americans' desires where they wanted to go; he was never the "cause".

After 4 years under one or the very worst presidencies in American history, after seeing gas lines a mile long, gas rationing, stagflation -- where there was record inflation with simultaneous zero economic growth -- and then, to top it off: to have the rag-tag Shiite fanatics take over Iran and then capture the entire United States Embassy, holding some 54 prisoners for 444 days, the American people wanted out of Carter and the failed Dem presidency in the worst way. Reagan just happened to be there. He looked good, sounded good, so he was chosen, chosen by the American people.

//

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

I'm not saying the age of Reagan did everything bad. There are certainly a handful of things I agree with Reagan about. But, while business has been good to many aspects of science, the general education of the public has lagged. This involves support, as we did after Sputnik awakened us from our stupor, for more public education and more grants to the sciences. I think it's just a matter of time before some threatening breakthrough in another part of the globe takes place and we suddenly realize how far behind we are in the sciences.

13. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Patters, just had a thought that maybe I was misinterpreting you, maybe what you were saying is that you hope the election of Obama signals another cultural shift to a more secular, I guess you might say enlightened age, not that the government was going to effect the change you were hoping for. That idea I could understand (but probably still disagree with!).

14. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

We are still THE world leader in much of the science I am familiar with. Other countries (particularly in Europe) are starting to catch up, but that is due to them placing the same focus on science that we do, not us lagging behind them. It would be difficult or impossible for us to jump out ahead again as we were before, just like in other sectors we had to adapt to increasing international competition (autos, manufacturing, etc.). A focus on the sciences is a good thing definitely, but increased funding may not have the profound effect we would be looking for.

15. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +357 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

You old fool gas line started in Nixons time. Stagflation/Nixon. Yeah that was really a rag tag militia.......its still in power and has more influence in the region than we do. As for Carter I recently looked up the hx of his presidency. Hes not nearly as bad as you people make him out to be. For one he brought some sembalance of peace to the ME getting Egypt and Israel to sign the Camp David Accords. Thats more than George "Bonzo the chimp" Bush did.

16. Patters

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

Carter was certainly better than Bush. He deserves great credit for his role in the Camp David peace accords and for making human rights a real part of our foreign policy (at least until Bush came along). Also, his economic policies weren't the greatest, but by the end of his term he managed to get the economy moving in the right direction, which is more than Bush did.

17. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Human rights were only a part of his foreign policy when it suited his needs. The policy of detente ignored the suffering of those living under communist rule. Reagan was the one to really push for human rights for large portions of the globe.

The economy was not moving in the right direction in 1980.

Nixon's admin did much of the heavy lifting in the ME peace agreement, believe it or not.

18. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Wanted to post this, its math and science scores from 2008 in a cool interactive map. What it shows me is that we're right in line with Europe for both and Asia in science, but lag behind Asia in math. Be interesting to find the historical numbers and see if in fact it has been a case of other countries catching up to us vs. us falling back to the pack, which is what your theory should show us Patters.

World math and science scores - Boston.com

19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -9

Softly And Tenderly
    Jesus Is Calling
    Calling For You And For Me
    Beyond The Portals
    He's Waiting And Watching
    Watching For You And For Me

Smite the scumsucking Pelosi Bastards Dear Lord Smite The Son Of A B!tches Good, For They Know Full Well What They Do, Burn Them Oh Sweet Lord Savior Jesus Christ Burn Them In Hell, Oh My God.

20. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Carter was so much "better" that some 18 countries went communist during his presidency, including Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Afghanistan, Angola, Mozambique, Ethiopia, and Nicaragua. Carter was the worst president in American history for his total ignorance as to the actual design, purpose, strategy and tactics of communism. He almost gave America away on a platter to the Soviets. Totally incompetent.

//