Welcome to PatsFans.com

How Dominant Is Denver?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by CISGS, Jan 17, 2014.

1. CISGS

CISGS Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Talent vs. Toughness Article

How dominant is Denver really? The point differentials say against decent teams, not very.

Denver's offense is really trending the wrong way.
  2. elway7

elway7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Grasping for anything. If that helps you sleep at night.
  3. ArchAngel007

ArchAngel007 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yeah, but they're still a great offense to put 600 points in the NFL is remarkable no matter how pass friendly the league is. Makes sense though that they do not play as well against playoff teams. Hopefully our Pats can get the job done and beat the Donkeys.
  4. Wax Frog

Wax Frog Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Here's hoping they're doing their version of the '07 fadeout.
  5. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Denver is an amazing team. Their offense is finally at full strength, playing at home, and playing in perfect conditions. This is going to be the Pats' toughest challenge yet.
  6. Bonzo

Bonzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

That offense is obviously brilliant. But I interpret the question "how dominant" to mean from a historical perspective. That D pales next to the 07 Pats. Sept/Oct of that season, Pats might as well have been playing D-III teams.

IMO, that was the most dominant team of the era. (Though they obviously peaked way too early, as we are reminded pretty much every week.) The 2013 Broncos scored 606 points but allowed 399 (22nd in the league) for a 1.52 PF/PA ratio; by comparison, the 2007 Patriots scored 589 but gave up only 274 -- good for 4th best in the NFL, which is especially remarkable considering the clip at which they were scoring -- for an obscene PF/PA ratio of 2.15!
  7. PattieswinSB

PattieswinSB Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Points scored:
    1. Denver 606
    2. Chicago 445 (181 point difference)
  8. Fixit

Fixit Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Points scored in second half of season:

1) Not Denver

Seriously, though. They lit up crappy teams early and have been gradually tailing off. I think they scored considerably under their season average in every game they played against a team with a winning record starting with the Indy game.
  9. Observer

Observer Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

That offense is damn good. They have the best passing attack and their running game with Moreno has been solid. Our defense better be ready to play because if they get away, we don't have the firepower to match.
  10. Ivan

Ivan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +446 / 12 / -31

#75 Jersey

And your point is?
  11. Ivan

Ivan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +446 / 12 / -31

#75 Jersey

Great quarterback, really good receivers and a really good RB, other than that they are an average team.
  12. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -4

You are AWARE that the Pats offense actually outscored the Broncos offense over the last 8 games of the season, ie the second half of the year? :cool:
  13. PattieswinSB

PattieswinSB Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The thread asked how dominant Denver is. I put up a stat to show how they did in comparison to the rest of the league (ie: Dominance).
  14. Ivan

Ivan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +446 / 12 / -31

#75 Jersey

Oh, ok, good job.
  15. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +367 / 6 / -8

#75 Jersey

Running up scores passing doesn't equate to playoff success (we've seen that from both sides). However, Peyton knows that, which is why he always will run if the defense doesn't respect it.

He did it in our win, though it didn't equal victory. The secret is to not have to sell out on defense to stop the pass or the run. We were weak in the DL before, I think we're all right now. Knowshon had one 100 yd game, the one against us. When you need to keep a slow, one legged player to make up for weakness in the line and at LB, you're lucky to have a Brady to bail you out.

I miss a healthy Spikes, but Collins improves us in range and pass protection and pass rush over him and our DL seems adequate. With our secondary ready to go, I think we're ready to make Peyton work, which is all you can do.

Their secondary is hurting and our run game is awesome, so I think we make the big plays here.

No brownie points for piling up numbers in September, this is the playoffs.
  16. Observer

Observer Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I was not aware of that, and it is definitely a comforting piece of info. But it does not take away from the reality that Denver is still a damn good offense. :)
  17. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +384 / 3 / -7

#24 Jersey

And out of those last 8 games, Rob Gronkowski played in almost a full 5 of them.

That's a pretty big missing trait right there, so the stat is kind of misleading.

It's great to see our offense running well the past few games, but it's not that strange to wonder if we can keep up with Denver and Manning if their #7th ranked rush defense is up to the challenge.
  18. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +435 / 5 / -1

But to say it is all about Gronk is wrong.

In the last three games alone (Baltimore, Buffalo, and Indy), the Pats have averaged 39.3 PPG. If you count the Cleveland game (since when Gronk went out, the Pats had scored zero points), the Pats averaged 33 PPG without Gronk since his injury. When Gronk played this year, the Pats averaged 32.8 PPG and that included the 55 points the Pats scored vs. the Steelers (I didn't count the Cleveland game in his stats).

It is a complete fallacy that Gronk is the only reason the Pats outscored the Broncos down the stretch is because of Gronk. In fact, the Pats have been slightly better at scoring since he was injured.

That said, Gronk was a huge loss and this offense would be better with him. But the Pats haven't been hurt thus far in the scoring department because of his departure.

The only game the Pats struggled to score points without Gronk was the Miami game where they scored 20. Otherwise, they have scored 34 or more points in every complete game he missed (and 27 points in the one half he missed in Cleveland).
  19. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +435 / 5 / -1

As for the Broncos' seventh ranked run defense, that is a little bit of a misleading stat. Teams don't run on the Broncos that much (they had the 8th fewest rushing attempts against them) because teams get down and are forced to throw against them. And their pass defense sucks. So teams go up against Denver looking to throw.

Also, Baltimore was better than them in the more important category yards per attempt (they are 5th and the Broncos were 10th) and the Pats rushed for 142 yards and 2 TDs vs. them with Blount getting a solid 4.8 YPC.

So the Pats have proven they can run against a run defense that is arguably better than the Broncos' run defense.
  20. AzorianPats

AzorianPats Rookie

Ratings:
    +139 / 4 / -1

#12 Jersey

Considering if you look at who's picking in the top 5 of the draft, and remember Washington traded their first rd pick to St Louis, they played 4 out of the 5 teams in the top 5 (Raiders x2)

I'm not saying Denver a bad team, cuz they are obviously not, but they are a true case of a team that ran up the score on the bad teams, but struggled with the better ones.

Manning one of the greatest Qb's to ever play the game, and he as an arsenal of weapons to throw too, but if you ask me and what I've seen with my eyes this year, their offense isn't the greatest offense of all time like the pundits want you to believe. Theres alot of padded stats their. Its really good, and def the best offense in the game today, but it doesn't compare to the Rams offense 15 years ago, or Manning's Colts, or our offense an 07.

If they blow us out the stadium tommorow ilk change my tune, but I'm not counting on it.