PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How does Dean Pees compares with other DC's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyonthewall

On the Roster
Reaction score
Who are the best defensive coordinators in the NFL...

I was curious so I googled it and found the results very interesteing. Below are a couple of the articles that I found (with links), along with how they ranked our DC.

ESPN / John Clayton - 3rd
NFL: John Clayton ranks **** LeBeau of the Pittsburgh Steelers as the league's top defensive coordinator - ESPN

NFL Draft Bible 2009 - 8th
NFL DRAFT BIBLE - 2009 Defensive Coordinator Rankings

Sporting News - 8th
Defensive coordinator rankings: LeBeau knows | Sporting News

How would you rank the leagues DC's?

Who are the best defensive coordinators in the NFL...

I was curious so I googled it and found the results very interesteing. Below are a couple of the articles that I found (with links), along with how they ranked our DC.

ESPN / John Clayton - 3rd
NFL: John Clayton ranks **** LeBeau of the Pittsburgh Steelers as the league's top defensive coordinator - ESPN

NFL Draft Bible 2009 - 8th
NFL DRAFT BIBLE - 2009 Defensive Coordinator Rankings

Sporting News - 8th
Defensive coordinator rankings: LeBeau knows | Sporting News

How would you rank the leagues DC's?

Honestly, I think any ranking of DC's has to be pretty arbitrary. There's too many variables and the truth is that outside of coaches and players in the league, no one is really in a position to properly evaluate coordinators across the entire league.

On top of that, I can't think of anything more arbitrary than John Clayton ranking DC's, they might as well as have chimpanzees throw darts on a board w the name of every DC in the NFL.

As for how I would judge Pees? As I said above, that's a tough call. But, as a Pats fan, I'd say you have to give him props for exceeding the talent available many times and facing adversity and injuries well. However, we'd be 19-0 if not for the 4th quarter defensive meltdown in 2007...though we all have to realize if it weren't for one of the most serendipitous plays in sports history, the Giants likely would've lost that game.

Last edited:
I see similiarities of **** 's DC expertise flourish just as ours was during our SB championships run. Its easy to make a signature defense when you got the right men rushing or dropping back in coverage. This year our DC Pees , gets his chance.

He's not the worst, but he shouldn't be considered in the top 5. Whether it's a personnel issue or a philosophy issue, their defense is one of the most vanilla defenses in the league. I haven't seen any creativity since the 2004 season. Although their blitzes are rare, they're pretty predictable. However, the best blitz of the season came on a delayed blitz by Brandon Merriweather in Seattle.

Nobody will agree with me on this, but I always laugh at when commentators still play the "what kind of defense will BB come up with to confuse this QB?" card. Sorry to be a buzz kill, but I don't think many QB's fear BB anymore. In fact, many below average QB's have carved this defense up. Since 2005, this defense has lost it's edge and nobody fears the Pats defense anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back