PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How does Belichick feel about edge rushers

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was the quote from years ago that gave a little insight into what Bill looked for at the position:

Q: Did you agree with [NFL Network Analyst Mike] Mayock that there was a lot of outside linebacker depth?

BB: I’m not really sure. That’s a good question. I think that the outside linebacker group was a little bit different this year. I mean, generally speaking, I think that there were more shorter players, maybe a little less speed than what we’ve seen, maybe a little more power with good production. There weren’t a lot of 4.6, 4.65 [40 time] guys. There weren’t a lot of 6-[foot]-4, 6-[foot]-5 guys. I’d say it was a much smaller pool of those types of players.

Bill Belichick Press Conference - 4/26/2009

I remember this quote being discussed at length in the ensuing years when guys like Crable didn't work out and the defense was running out guys like Tully Banta-Cain, Derrick Burgess, Jermaine Cunningham, etc.

A lot of people, myself included, wondered aloud if Bill was being too picky given our severe dearth of pass rushers. Couldn't understand how time and time again you could pass on opportunities in the draft to move around the board and get one of those top pass rushers. With all the draft ammo they seemed to have every year and the glaring hole at OLB on the team, the frustration grew every time a guy like Carlos Dunlap, Greg Hardy, Aldon Smith, Clay Matthews, Robert Quinn, Brian Orakpo, Michael Johnson, Derrick Morgan, Connor Barwin, etc. were passed over.

It seemed Belichick was more interested in trading down for value, but when he did take a guy in the first round, he wanted more of a sure-thing and an immediate three to four down contributor.

Over the last few years we've seen him take a little more risk, trading up for Jones and Hightower, selecting Easley. I think this has been a pleasant surprise for most fans. If you want one of those special front seven difference makers, you're most often going to have to spend first round draft capital on them. Guys like Ware, Von Miller, Merriman, Suggs go in the first round for a reason.

Although he's been more willing to take on projects in the first round, I still think his standards for a pass rusher in this defense are a bit too stringent. For instance, as dominant as Von Miller was this post season, I still don't really see him as a Belichick type of guy. I feel like Bill would think he's too much of a one trick pony speed rusher who won't hold up well enough against the run a la Dwight Freeney or Bruce Irvin. He'd prefer to go after a guy like Courtney Upshaw and sacrifice some pass rush for physicality and stoutness against the run.

Pass.

The last time the Patriots tried that, they ended up with Ron Brace.

Well, that's why I included the "on some lesser level" comment, but I do think we need to take a LB no matter the justification given. Just my opinion (unless it's addressed via FA).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back