PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How does Belichick feel about edge rushers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think those "shiny pure passrushers" that you're speaking of would be nice to have, but it doesn't make a ton of sense to waste an early round selection on them unless you've got the rest of your front seven worked out nicely. I think it's a bit of a luxury, but there are plenty of teams who jump on players like that all the time.

I'm still fully convinced that we'll be taking another LB in the first 4 rounds of the draft, but I may be way off with that thought. I think we'll need depth to replace Mayo, and it will also be great to add another young, fast piece to the defense, particularly during a period where we can use them as leverage in the upcoming Collins/HT negotiations (on some lesser level).

Pass.

The last time the Patriots tried that, they ended up with Ron Brace.

I don't put as much stock in a two game sample size as you do. Of course the playoffs is where you make your bread, but by your logic the other 16 games simply don't matter, and I will never agree to that.
Every game matters but still you can use stats to get a sense of how NE and its players do against quality opponents.
For example, Chandler Jones had a great regular season rushing the passer with 12.5 sacks.....but........
11.5 of those sacks were against teams that didn't qualify for the playoffs. The reality is NE had a light schedule in terms of playing playoff caliber opposition.....4 games vs. eventual playoff teams....Jones amassed 1 sack in those 4 games( vs. Washington). Good enough to get to the dance but not good enough to nail the hot girl;)

Questions....
How good is Von Miller setting the edge?
Why not line Jamie Collins up as DE....like Miller.....both 6-3, both 250, Miller a tenth faster, Collins better vertical.
I get the versatility that Collins gives the LB corp...but I've been watching Miller singlehandedly destroy 2 MVP candidate QBs in the playoffs. Factor in NE's inability to get off the field on third down.....could Collins be NE's future edge rusher?
Of course lets wait till he signs a lesser LB contract before he gets redeployed (that BB....so damn devious).... :)
As for Jamie, I think he'd be a great DE. He's just too valuable at the position he plays.

Is this Denver/Carolina fall out, where we want the Pats to imitate the Denver D??

IMO BB does not have a specific philosophy, but has a bunch of versatile players with whom he can mix and match and specifically game plan with. The Pats have always had the philosophy to take away the strength of the opposing O..

There is always veiled criticism after a loss that there was this deficit or that deficit, however we do it all in the backdrop of not knowing what the specific game plan was and what the specific responsibilities were..

Back in the time machine when Seymour was here and this board was in its infancy, #93 would frequently get bashed by the talk show mediots and on this board, only to have BB ascend to the podium and openly praise Seymour regarding what a great game he had.. so we so not know what BB & Krewe has planned for that game..

No I don't get caught up into that the patriots have played in multiple Super Bowls and won 4 whatever bill does I believe in it.

Patriots could move start running the old 5-2 defense and I would be like hey if Bill thinks it will work so be it

As for Jamie, I think he'd be a great DE. He's just too valuable at the position he plays.
Can't it be argued the value Collins brings at his current position would be moot if he could wreak the same type of havoc Miller creates behind the LOS?
I'd like to see BB experiment more with this kid and let's see what he can do at DE.

Can't it be argued the value Collins brings at his current position would be moot if he could wreak the same type of havoc Miller creates behind the LOS?
I'd like to see BB experiment more with this kid and let's see what he can do at DE.
Just depends on how good he could be there

Collins needs to stay where he is at.

Dude is a freak athlete he can run cover stop the rush dude is s Swiss Army knife. I honestly believe Jamie Collins could be a hall of fame caliber player

But as of chandler jones I'm
Not a big fan he dissapers In big games way to much.

Plus he is good athlete but not great and he can be out ran to edge I do not like that at all. He not a twitchy athlete

In 9 playoff games the man has two sacks
And 13 tackles that is piss poor.

Last edited:
The Patriots defense as a whole has come a long way. It seemed like a few years ago, obscure back-up quarterbacks could line up and carve our defense like a turkey.

The Patriots defense as a whole has come a long way. It seemed like a few years ago, obscure back-up quarterbacks could line up and carve our defense like a turkey.

We had that problem this year too, but I agree with what you are saying as a whole.

Don't ask me why this is, but it seems that BB seems to defaults to "extra vanilla game plan, with vanilla sauce on top" when he goes up against a QB for the first time.

If I were the Cowboys, for example, I'd have considered suiting up Kellen Moore against the Patriots instead of Weeden.

Don't ask me why this is, but it seems that BB seems to defaults to "extra vanilla game plan, with vanilla sauce on top" when he goes up against a QB for the first time.

If I were the Cowboys, for example, I'd have considered suiting up Kellen Moore against the Patriots instead of Weeden.

Are you sure this is true? I kind of remember someone on this board looking into that theory and the conclusion was different than what you are suggesting. I remember being surprised with the findings.

Anyone else remember that?

Belichick likes long edge rushers who can stand up or put a hand in the ground. But most importantly they have to be able to set the edge, That is the number 1 thing

We had that problem this year too, but I agree with what you are saying as a whole.

Which game in particular? Are you referring to the game Osweiler started for Denver?

Which game in particular? Are you referring to the game Osweiler started for Denver?

Brock Osweiller was moving the ball well on our D as well as JAG QBs like Sanchez and tannehill. I thought our pressure on the QB was much better last year. Part of it is injuries to Hightower and Collins as well as chandler jones regression.

I don't think he values them - how many mid late round draft picks did he spend trying to convert a college 4-3 DE to a pro outside lb?

I Remember reading that Bill does like players like Clay Matthews and Mario Williams

I know he coached Lawrence Taylor but Taylor was versitale

But overall how does bill feel about 3-4 OLB who just rush the passer majority of downs.

In Bill we trust

Based on the AFCCG I think he feels like they should be permitted an unobstructed path to TFB.

Based on the AFCCG I think he feels like they should be permitted an unobstructed path to TFB.
Maybe he misinterpreted the unabated to the quarterback rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey