PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How does BB and McDaniels attack Seattle's defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots will find some success in both areas of offense. Probably not huge numbers on the ground, but more than enough to give the Hawks trouble in coverage. A guy like Gronk has to be attended to in a non traditional manner. The Hawks don't usually do anything extraordinary, so the Pats know what they are likely going to get.

It comes down to tackling and how much time Brady has before having to get rid of the ball. If they really want to, Brady could throw 7 yard passes all day and likely get away with it if Wagner and Wright don't get their hands on the ball.

I dunno, it is hard to even consider how the Hawks are going to stop the Pats at all, I am still trying to figure out what happened Sunday.

I think a key to this game is to determine what they have gameplanned to take away, and then exploiting what that leaves available.

In other words balanced early both in formation choice (single back 3 TE, five wide, power-I, stacked quads, the works) and execution play calling. Obviously your other point regarding down and distance will also factor into play call choice, but from the planning perspective probing is needed to determine the other team's plan.

Lots of running. Lots of edelmen. A little bit of gronk.

They are good against the run overall, though up front they are a bit undersized. Green Bay tried the power-run approach and Lacy got 3.5 yards/carry.

Can we expect to do much better than that? I think our O-line run-blocks better than Green Bay's, but Lacy is likely quicker than Blount and Gray, and probably about as powerful too. Could we do it with Fleming as a 6th O-lineman?

I think we will instead be spreading out on offense and targeting the middle of the field on 5-12 yard throws, running just enough to keep them honest.

Based on the game book in the NFCCG, Lacy had success over RT and RG and up the middle. Over LT & LG he was stuffed quite a few times. I think a few plays with Blount running over Vollmer/Fleming/Gronk would be successful.

McDaniels was not with the Pats in the last SB.

I'd also say it was the defense that was the problem. The offense started the game after a 10 minute drive by the Giants, and then the Patriots gave the ball right back on that ridiculous safety ruling. Somehow, the offense later rallied to go ahead. Brady broke the NFL record for consecutive SB completions. And everything was going fine until 2 things happened:

1. BO'B decided to go with a jumbo formation after the Patriots just completed 5 straight passes as they were going for the kill. AND, Welker dropped the ball.
McDaniels was with the pats during the last super bowl, but as an assistant, not as the OC.

I wonder if we'll score more than 14 or 17 points, the pats had 2 weeks to prepare for the last 2 Super Bowls but the offense was shutdown both games.

Strategy is real simple. Against this kind of attacking/speed defense, run the ball, short passes off play-action, quick hooks/outs/slants. Dink and dunk them to death. Get them to be impatient in trying to make the big play. With Thomas and Sherman dinged up, force them to tackle.

If you go back an watch the 2012 game, Pats had success with this formula. If BB doesn't brain fart at the end of the 1st 1/2 and we have Revis in that game Pats win.

I actually think SEA had a better offense in 2012 than they do now.

I agree their Offense WAS better in 2012. Just as their Defense WAS better in 2013 than now. A fluke comeback put them in this SuperBowl, plus McCarthy's "Play NOT to lose" over-conservatism. The Pack should have scored at least 30 or more.

Am I the only one who thinks this may be a blowout like 42-18?

The Patriots will find some success in both areas of offense. Probably not huge numbers on the ground, but more than enough to give the Hawks trouble in coverage. A guy like Gronk has to be attended to in a non traditional manner. The Hawks don't usually do anything extraordinary, so the Pats know what they are likely going to get.

It comes down to tackling and how much time Brady has before having to get rid of the ball. If they really want to, Brady could throw 7 yard passes all day and likely get away with it if Wagner and Wright don't get their hands on the ball.

I dunno, it is hard to even consider how the Hawks are going to stop the Pats at all, I am still trying to figure out what happened Sunday.

You echo my sentiments...

McDaniels was not with the Pats in the last SB.

I'd also say it was the defense that was the problem. The offense started the game after a 10 minute drive by the Giants, and then the Patriots gave the ball right back on that ridiculous safety ruling. Somehow, the offense later rallied to go ahead. Brady broke the NFL record for consecutive SB completions. And everything was going fine until 2 things happened:

1. BO'B decided to go with a jumbo formation after the Patriots just completed 5 straight passes as they were going for the kill. AND, Welker dropped the ball.

When the D gives up only 17 pts and said O is highest scoring and only gets 14 that is the O crapping the bed.

Tim wright and Gronk have the potential for being huge this game. Maybe some 2 TE offense revived. Seattle really hasn't seen it, since the murderer and Gronk were never on the field at the same time after the Arizona game that year.
I've read that Seattle is weak against the TE position

Test Sherman early and if he looks good...

Stick Amendola across from him and force him to move off his usual side if he wants to cover guys who are essential to our offense.

Am I the only one who thinks this may be a blowout like 42-18?
I'm currently going with a 27-21 win, but if they aren't healthy and we are, I could see that margin doubling or tripling.

Key number 1. Start Fast. I can remember in both SB losses, the offense was stopped in the first drive and could not find any rhythm. That ******ed double fake hand-offs PA gave the Giants a easy sack and showed how ****y JM was back in 07. We do not need to score on the first drive, just get a couple of first downs.

Key number 2. Stop forcing to Gronk. We all know he is great but it seemed to me that a lot of TB's interceptions came when he was forcing into a double coverage to Gronk.

Key number 3. I watched the Packer vs Seahawks game and surprised to see how quickly the pocket collapsed. A lot of it probably was due to Seahawks' ability to time the snap in their loud stadium. I expect some JE or TW runs to the outside.

Key number 2. Stop forcing to Gronk. We all know he is great but it seemed to me that a lot of TB's interceptions came when he was forcing into a double coverage to Gronk.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...ason-target-for-fourth-straight-playoff-game/

WR Julian Edelman: 17 catches on 25 targets (68 percent)
TE Rob Gronkowski: 10 catches on 21 targets (48 percent)
WR Brandon LaFell: 9 catches on 13 targets (69 percent)
RB Shane Vereen: 7 catches on 9 targets (78 percent)
WR Danny Amendola: 6 catches on 9 targets (67 percent)
TE Michael Hoomanawanui: 5 catches on 5 targets (100 percent)
RB Brandon Bolden: 1 catch on 1 target (100 percent)
LT/TE Nate Solder: 1 catch on 1 target (100 percent)
FB James Develin: 1 catch on 1 target (100 percent)

I've read that Seattle is weak against the TE position
Not TEs in general, but guys like Gronk? I would agree. They dominate wimpy TEs like Vernon Davis, Jimmy Graham, Julius Thomas and that wussy from GB. But Gronk, Gates, Olson and guys like Witten that can take a hit can get big gains on Seattle.

Gronk will get his yards. I admit that without question. He will likely get at least one TD too.

Sherman could cover Gronk if he lines up outside. I actually like that matchup, but NE won't do that. He would just play the ball more than anything. Gronk can catch down the seam though and he won't drop the ball after being hit.

Gronk scares the crap out of me. If AHerd was there this game wouldn't be close for long. I am truly grateful that he isn't part of this.

I am the kind of guy that drafts Gronk in the first round of FF because TEs get premium points in our league and people try to trade for him every year.

Any thing on interception per target? The entire season?

The playoff would be 2/21, 9.5% percent? sample is too small.

My theory is that there was a focus on "taking Gronk away", and for at least large stretches of each playoff game, it worked.

Given that the traditional way to take Gronk away is with a soft triple-team or so, I'm happy with letting him be a decoy if the defense so chooses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes