PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How does BB and McDaniels attack Seattle's defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most importent is hurry so they have to keep the same ppl on the field.

A good point, in that they like to rotate their bigs to keep them fresh. Of course, with that defense, that's a gamble for sure, because if they stop you three and out (which they are certainly capable of doing), all you're doing is giving them a chance to wear out your own defense.

If you look to the Patriots box score this season there are games with 8 or 9 players making receptions, Gronk, Edelman, Lafell, Vereen, Amendola and then some Develin, Hooman, Wright, Bolden.

I would do that, spread the ball, make them totally lost, dink and dunk all day. Play ball security at a high level, Brady is throwing some picks lately that are not up to his usual level. We can't turn the ball over against Seattle. Period. I'm not against playing some Flacco on 3rd and long though

dink and dunk passing is probably the hole in Seattle's secondary.
They are by far the #1 team in giving up explosive 20+ yard passes but quick slants can be effective.

Seattle usually just stacks the box with Chancellor making it very difficult to run until the opposing team abandons the running game. They can get away with this because Earl Thomas is so good. They are the #3 rushing defense in the NFL after all, even though the DT depth is thin and not as good as last year, Chancellor masks a lot of its weaknesses. Chancellor is also the one who covers the TEs in cover 1.

Hall Of Fame tightends have given this defense problems, I'm talking about T.Gonazles, A.Gates and even J.Witten to an extent., but tight ends that are considered "elite" like J.Graham and Vernon Davis are non-existant against seattle.

Gronk will probably be your x-factor on offense. He's going to need to have a career game.

Do you not think Seattle will elect to clog the middle and force Brady to throw to the sidelines or into the cover 3 shell?

This offense is at its best when its getting 1st downs and big plays on 1st and second down.
I see a lot of opportunity for that in this matchup. There are seams in that defense and we have receivers that are outstanding at exploiting those seams.
I hope we spread them out and throw a ton of passes in the 7-14 yards downfield range. I want to hit those seams, and if they go man, exploit the safeties and nickel back.

I like the idea of attacking the seams. Then, if they try to flood the field, attack the box. If they shade the box, go to play action. There will almost always be something to exploit, as long as we are patient.

I like the idea of attacking the seams. Then, if they try to flood the field, attack the box. If they shade the box, go to play action. There will almost always be something to exploit, as long as we are patient.
There always is something to exploit as long as you block.
That is what our offense specializes in, morphing into the offense you struggle with.
Seattle is good at taking teams out of what they want to do, so this approach counteracts that.
I think a key to this game is to determine what they have gameplanned to take away, and then exploiting what that leaves available.

Could we consider doing something outrageous and go with five O linemen or is that deception?

Could we consider doing something outrageous and go with five O linemen or is that deception?
You bring up an interesting thought.
BB has exploited weaknesses that did not appear to be weaknesses beforehand.
2002 throwing 30 straight times vs the Steelers comes to mind and it exposed a weakness he saw that no one had ever exploited.
The Colts were not considered a weak run D until we ran it down their throats.
Hitting the Rams receivers, and recognizing Faulk as the key to the timing of the offense in SB 36.
The gameplan in Gmen SB vs Bills.

I would not be surprised if the prep for this game includes finding a weakness in Seattle that no one has ever yet exploited.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
You bring up an interesting thought.
BB has exploited weaknesses that did not appear to be weaknesses beforehand.
2002 throwing 30 straight times vs the Steelers comes to mind and it exposed a weakness he saw that no one had ever exploited.
The Colts were not considered a weak run D until we ran it down their throats.
Hitting the Rams receivers, and recognizing Faulk as the key to the timing of the offense in SB 36.
The gameplan in Gmen SB vs Bills.

I would not be surprised if the prep for this game includes finding a weakness in Seattle that no one has ever yet exploited.

Depending on how limiting the injuries to Sherman and Thomas are, the as yet undiscovered weakness could be as simple as attacking them directly. Rodgers rarely (if at all) threw at Sherman despite his arm hanging in tatters for the 4th quarter. I'm guessing the Pats test that early.

Depending on how limiting the injuries to Sherman and Thomas are, the as yet undiscovered weakness could be as simple as attacking them directly. Rodgers rarely (if at all) threw at Sherman despite his arm hanging in tatters for the 4th quarter. I'm guessing the Pats test that early.
I think that is an example of something that is being gameplanned. What routes are the toughest for Sherman to cover. We know going deep on him is hard, which tells me we will run a WR deep on him often as a decoy. But I expect we will attack him on the routes he has the most trouble with. I think we will also exploit Chancellor in man and be wary of him in zone.
My guess is the plan will be to spread the field, throw in the 7-14 yard range in the seams vs zone, attack Chancellor and the nickel in man (plus throw to Vereen) and run a lot inside the Gs. But I am not able to do the film study that BB and his staff will.

We need to establish the run. Simple. This opens up the playbook so much, which is required against this defense. Th Chargers did a good job of opening that defense up. Remember, there's no twelfth man in Arizona.

Additionally, there offense really doesn't scare me. Aside from Wilson's ability to scramble and Lynch, there's nothing about the offense that should worry us. Our secondary is leaps and bounds better than their offense.

Tim Wright? Could it be Bill held him in reserve for this very reason?

In reality, if the injuries are serious to Thomas and Sherman, I no longer fear that secondary. Throw a couple of balls at Gronk being covered by Chancellor and expose him. I have no doubt Chancellor is a great safety, but I think it is going to take more than one excellent safety to cover/cage the Gronk.

Hurry up offense. Play like Chip Kelly. Go, go, go.

Stacks, motion, shifts, several almost every play.

I agree with your entire post, but especially this ^.

Also, Seattle is the most penalized team in the league I believe. I think we should try to draw some offsides on 2nd, 3rd & short, and hope to take a shot downfield on a free play.

Tim wright and Gronk have the potential for being huge this game. Maybe some 2 TE offense revived. Seattle really hasn't seen it, since the murderer and Gronk were never on the field at the same time after the Arizona game that year.

I don't know how they are going to attack the Seahawks, but whatever it is my confidence as a Seahawks fan in this game is not high for the win. Because they are going to attack the Seahawks defense somehow.

Its the Patriots, the matchup everyone wanted to see sans Green Bay. I had hopes that somehow the Colts would scratch out a win somehow, but I knew that game wouldn't be close.

Football fans are going to love this matchup, but I can't honestly say that as a Seahawks fan that I have a good feeling about it. I am just elated that the Hawks finally decided to run ball on GB and quit throwing pick after pick, putting the Packers in scoring position for the first 3 quarters of the game.

NE? Can't say I am glad they are the AFC rep, but it should be a hell of a game anyway. I hope the Hawks can play their game.

One thing Patriots fan might remember about Carroll is that in certain situations, he throws every blitz imaginable at you. He is maybe even more creative with blitzes than the Giants were. I remember a playoff game against Miami in Marino's latter years. Carroll threw the book at Marino.

Lets just hope JMD and the O don't crap the bed like they have the last 2 SB's. JMD especially

Tim Wright? Could it be Bill held him in reserve for this very reason?

In reality, if the injuries are serious to Thomas and Sherman, I no longer fear that secondary. Throw a couple of balls at Gronk being covered by Chancellor and expose him. I have no doubt Chancellor is a great safety, but I think it is going to take more than one excellent safety to cover/cage the Gronk.

I was saying to anyone who would listen on Sunday night that I felt the Superbowl gameplan was likely to be

the Wright/Gronk show. Of course, this is hardly an astute observation / prediction. But, hey, a broken

clock....

Strategy is real simple. Against this kind of attacking/speed defense, run the ball, short passes off play-action, quick hooks/outs/slants. Dink and dunk them to death. Get them to be impatient in trying to make the big play. With Thomas and Sherman dinged up, force them to tackle.

If you go back an watch the 2012 game, Pats had success with this formula. If BB doesn't brain fart at the end of the 1st 1/2 and we have Revis in that game Pats win.

I actually think SEA had a better offense in 2012 than they do now.

They are good against the run overall, though up front they are a bit undersized. Green Bay tried the power-run approach and Lacy got 3.5 yards/carry.

Can we expect to do much better than that? I think our O-line run-blocks better than Green Bay's, but Lacy is likely quicker than Blount and Gray, and probably about as powerful too. Could we do it with Fleming as a 6th O-lineman?

I think we will instead be spreading out on offense and targeting the middle of the field on 5-12 yard throws, running just enough to keep them honest.

Lets just hope JMD and the O don't crap the bed like they have the last 2 SB's. JMD especially

McDaniels was not with the Pats in the last SB.

I'd also say it was the defense that was the problem. The offense started the game after a 10 minute drive by the Giants, and then the Patriots gave the ball right back on that ridiculous safety ruling. Somehow, the offense later rallied to go ahead. Brady broke the NFL record for consecutive SB completions. And everything was going fine until 2 things happened:

1. BO'B decided to go with a jumbo formation after the Patriots just completed 5 straight passes as they were going for the kill. AND, Welker dropped the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots