PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do YOU watch the Pats games....

Status
Not open for further replies.

stcjones

Pro Bowl Player
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
especially in the playoffs and if you are not at the game?

For example, Me...I am always pacing back and forth like a lunatic, often click away on 3rd downs, and come back to it on high pressure downs that are a must make......pace back to our den where I have the laptop going on Patsfans.com or the Chat (when it worked for me) and see if we converted or not. I don't know what it is....but I just CAN'T STAND to see this team lose.......It makes me sick to my stomach when they can't pull one out.......I have other friends of mine that are fans of other teams and they must not be as diehard as me or something because they can calmly sit there, or at least never leave the couch, never get into the fetal position, never pace, never click away from the game to decrease the pressure etc etc.......What about you guys? How do you watch the Pats????? (and don't say Blind drunk.....because I think most of us do that) :)

I watch in utter and complete agony. The entire occasion involves a constant assessment of what is working and what isn't. Sometimes I try standing, or sitting, or changing rooms. If something bad happens in the game, I try to assess the room to see what's amiss and make a change. For example, if we were doing good when I was working on a beer, and then something bad happens and I notice my beer is empty, I will generally have to open a new beer and make sure there's always some in there while the game's on. Last game, after the interception/fumble, I wouldn't let anyone in the house move from their positions.

I hate it. It's the worst. Most games, when they are over, I can't remember. It's like this weird intense time warp and I'm just happy it's over.

It constantly amazes me to read this board and hear from many of you who actually seem to enjoy all this. I don't enjoy any of it. I despise it. It's sheer agony. If anything, I feel a little more relaxed when we're losing, but just a little. I hate it all.

I watch in utter and complete agony. The entire occasion involves a constant assessment of what is working and what isn't. Sometimes I try standing, or sitting, or changing rooms. If something bad happens in the game, I try to assess the room to see what's amiss and make a change. For example, if we were doing good when I was working on a beer, and then something bad happens and I notice my beer is empty, I will generally have to open a new beer and make sure there's always some in there while the game's on. Last game, after the interception/fumble, I wouldn't let anyone in the house move from their positions.

I hate it. It's the worst. Most games, when they are over, I can't remember. It's like this weird intense time warp and I'm just happy it's over.

It constantly amazes me to read this board and hear from many of you who actually seem to enjoy all this. I don't enjoy any of it. I despise it. It's sheer agony. If anything, I feel a little more relaxed when we're losing, but just a little. I hate it all.

Thank Gawd I am not alone....You sound alot like me.....I'll go with the 2001 SB cap....and if we aren't winning early, I go to the Rally cap....then if still no good....may go to my Pats SB XXXVIII hat, or if need be...switch to the blue Pats shirt from the white........seriously it is AGONY quite often.....but my feeling is the more die hard you are.....THE MORE Painful it is!!! GO PATS!!!!

especially in the playoffs and if you are not at the game?

For example, Me...I am always pacing back and forth like a lunatic, often click away on 3rd downs, and come back to it on high pressure downs that are a must make......pace back to our den where I have the laptop going on Patsfans.com or the Chat (when it worked for me) and see if we converted or not. I don't know what it is....but I just CAN'T STAND to see this team lose.......It makes me sick to my stomach when they can't pull one out.......I have other friends of mine that are fans of other teams and they must not be as diehard as me or something because they can calmly sit there, or at least never leave the couch, never get into the fetal position, never pace, never click away from the game to decrease the pressure etc etc.......What about you guys? How do you watch the Pats????? (and don't say Blind drunk.....because I think most of us do that) :)

I'm kinda like you, very nervous the whole day. I hate that we have been the last playoff game 2 weeks in a row. In fact, during the 2004 run, I left my apartment several times to get some fresh air, tough to take the pressure. Oddly enough, I've watched every play of both playoff game this year. Also I'm very superstitious, I have not worn the Pats hat that I bought up in Boston this year during the playoff games, because the last two weeks I didn't wear it (during the game I mean). In fact it's in the same place, and I won't dare move it. Also, I have NOT washed my jersey and undershirt that I wore under it since before the Jets playoff game. I've worn both with the same pair of jeans during the playoff wins.

Also, my mom has sent me a cannister of popcorn every time she learned the Pats were in the SB, she did this in 2001, 2003 & 2004. This must continue if they win Sunday. Last year, every Sunday when I had the same meal, the Pats seemed to win.

I am very torn this weekend, I've watched both playoff games at my dad's place, and the Pats have won, Yet I won't go over there Sunday, because I distinctly (or because of my gameday outfit, Di-stinktly ?) remember watching all 5 AFCCG wins in my home (1985 & 1996 in Queens NY, and 2001, 2003 & 2004 in San Francisco), so i feel I have to watch it at home Sunday.

I know it sounds crazy, but it has to be that way. What do you guys think ? Stick with going to my dad's ? Or the "at home" 5 game win streak ? God, I'm certifiably nuts when it comes to sports, the stories I could tell.

If at home, I'm standing behind my couch in the TV room and clenching a nerf football, which I'm subject to throw/spike at any moment in the game. Usually I have a beverage within arm's reach.

During breaks there's lots of pacing around the house, bouncing the ball off walls and such.

When the Pats are on offense, I'm usually more relaxed than when they're on D. Especially last Sunday- lots of fingernail chewing when SD was on offense.

Its easier to watch games that go quickly time-wise, I just see that playing into the hands of the Pats.

I never ever ever ever enjoy the game until its all over and Pats 5th Quarter is on after a win. Not so much the regular season, usually I can enjoy all the games but when its postseason I dont eat or drink ANYTHING throughout the entire game. While family members are watching the big screen TV upstairs, I am in the basement, worried sick watching the game. And you can imagine when something terrible happens (for example LT breaking a 60 yard catch and run) I just flop on the couch, mute the TV knowing the opponent will score and then watch once the kickoff is about to come to the Pats. And I ALWAYS have the TV on low volume unless something really good happens to the Pats, like an INT, TD, FG, big plays, stuff like that. I just cant stand with the volume turned up way high. Like listening to Chargers fans screaming with the offense out on the field, I cant stand it.

I know that it is all very stupid but I have to make sure I am wearing the "lucky" Patriots sweat pants, or holding my chain with a cross on it. I know its so stupid and all, but it feels sort of better and everytime the Pats win when I do it I feel more confident with the weird stuff I am doing.

Its stupid, I know but I just get so nervous before and during games, especially playoffs. Last weeks game was the worst. I felt sick at many times, almost had 4 or 5 heart attacks during the game and enjoy hurling stuff at the walls to release anger after bad plays. When it becomes a big situation near the end of the game every play I say, "NO INT, NO FUMBLE, PLEASE!". When Caldwell caught the TD pass and Faulk got the 2 pointer I was able to breathe easier, turn the volume up and enjoy the game, because I knew we werent gonna lose after that.

Last edited:
It varies a lot for me. I always wear the Maroney jersey and my 2003 sideline cap which has never been washed (the mesh part is brown :D). I start out lying on the big part of our sectional couch, but within the first few minutes I'm up in the chair in front of me leaning forward. There is always an NFL football and NCAA football in the room somewhere. When we aren't playing well I usually chuck the hat somewhere.
The Chargers game I was in rare form. I had something to say about every little thing that happened. The way I describe this game is I remember everything, then I remember Brady throwing a pick and Brown forcing the fumble, then I don't remember anything until I found myself lying on the floor on my stomach as Kaeding missed the FG.

I lose my temper at least 10 times a game, and everyone thinks I'm miserable, but afterwards I always say something like "It's a damn shame that game had to end."

I'm very intense watching the game. To the point that people hate to watch the game with me.

To the point that my Fiance hates when we can't watch on TV and have to go to the bar, where people can see/hear my intensity.

I usually watch in one of my four Jerseys (Troy Brown, Corey Dillon, Tom Brady, Tedy Bruschi) and my Patriots cap. Drink Keystone Light when we're at home, Miller Light when we're out.

I get up in my 'football stance' (crouched, legs slightly bent, linebacker pre-snap type stance) on third downs for both offense and defense.

I routinely curse on BS plays very loudly, and cheer even more loudly on positive plays. Often I'll talk to the players when they mess up or make a good play (get off your effing block Bruschi!! or GREAT block, Graham, eff yeah!)

Of course those effs are full fledged when spoken.

Very intense day, game day is.

After the game, I'm spent.

I thought I was tense. Wow. Maybe there's a support group somewhere that would help. Oh, Patsfans.com. :D

I've had a "second team", the 49ers, because I've lived in the SF Bay Area since just before the Walsh/Montana era. I don't know how you could not get behind that team if you lived in the area, and they continued to be great right through the Steve Young years. Anyway, I don't remember being as tense for their games as I am for this Patriots dynasty, and they didn't win all the big ones either. Guess you really do have only one #1 team.

I'm kinda like you, very nervous the whole day. I hate that we have been the last playoff game 2 weeks in a row. In fact, during the 2004 run, I left my apartment several times to get some fresh air, tough to take the pressure. Oddly enough, I've watched every play of both playoff game this year. Also I'm very superstitious, I have not worn the Pats hat that I bought up in Boston this year during the playoff games, because the last two weeks I didn't wear it (during the game I mean). In fact it's in the same place, and I won't dare move it. Also, I have NOT washed my jersey and undershirt that I wore under it since before the Jets playoff game. I've worn both with the same pair of jeans during the playoff wins.

Also, my mom has sent me a cannister of popcorn every time she learned the Pats were in the SB, she did this in 2001, 2003 & 2004. This must continue if they win Sunday. Last year, every Sunday when I had the same meal, the Pats seemed to win.

I am very torn this weekend, I've watched both playoff games at my dad's place, and the Pats have won, Yet I won't go over there Sunday, because I distinctly (or because of my gameday outfit, Di-stinktly ?) remember watching all 5 AFCCG wins in my home (1985 & 1996 in Queens NY, and 2001, 2003 & 2004 in San Francisco), so i feel I have to watch it at home Sunday.

I know it sounds crazy, but it has to be that way. What do you guys think ? Stick with going to my dad's ? Or the "at home" 5 game win streak ? God, I'm certifiably nuts when it comes to sports, the stories I could tell.

Alright...here's what you need to do.......start watching the game at your house......but keep your car running and prepare to evacuate for your father's if the Pats get behind at any point in the game....also fill your washing machine and have it ready to go should the same scenario above occur....you may need to wash those jeans and shirt while putting on a different Pats jersey, undershirt and jeans....and that hat you haven't worn in a few weeks???...that may have to be rally capped in an emergency....got all that?? :))

I'm very intense watching the game. To the point that people hate to watch the game with me.

To the point that my Fiance hates when we can't watch on TV and have to go to the bar, where people can see/hear my intensity.

I usually watch in one of my four Jerseys (Troy Brown, Corey Dillon, Tom Brady, Tedy Bruschi) and my Patriots cap. Drink Keystone Light when we're at home, Miller Light when we're out.

I get up in my 'football stance' (crouched, legs slightly bent, linebacker pre-snap type stance) on third downs for both offense and defense.

I routinely curse on BS plays very loudly, and cheer even more loudly on positive plays. Often I'll talk to the players when they mess up or make a good play (get off your effing block Bruschi!! or GREAT block, Graham, eff yeah!)

Of course those effs are full fledged when spoken.

Very intense day, game day is.

After the game, I'm spent.

This is a very valid point. MY wife and kids are either horrified or cracking up as I am pacing around....talking to the tv or the opponents players or coaches as they flash on the screen etc......

Usually with my eyes.

i'm in jersey, so i'm subject to watch terrible jet games on CBS and terrible giants games on FOX....

i try to savor every moment i see the pats on the tube, winning or not

When I first started reading that, I thought you were going to say you get into a three point stance. Now, that would be different. Actually, what you do is pretty strange too. Is your fiancee sure about the whole thing? ;):confused: :)

Alright...here's what you need to do.......start watching the game at your house......but keep your car running and prepare to evacuate for your father's if the Pats get behind at any point in the game....also fill your washing machine and have it ready to go should the same scenario above occur....you may need to wash those jeans and shirt while putting on a different Pats jersey, undershirt and jeans....and that hat you haven't worn in a few weeks???...that may have to be rally capped in an emergency....got all that?? :))

Great advice ! I'm loving this thread, now I know I'm not the only nut on this message board, lol.

Now I remember why I like this place. Makes me feel normal. Like a support group for Patriots-induced OCD.

Insanity isn't so bad when you're not alone with it.

usually with a few buddies and a ton of good beer and top-notch foodstuffs

going to be the old standby sierra nevada pale ale for this weekend, but i'm looking at getting a keg of smuttynose IPA for the big game

:rocker:

usually with a few buddies and a ton of good beer and top-notch foodstuffs

going to be the old standby sierra nevada pale ale for this weekend, but i'm looking at getting a keg of smuttynose IPA for the big game

:rocker:

Me and NEM watch it at the Vine here in Phoenix with about 200 other pats fans. Great times!!!! Oh yeah...and every 5 minutes NEM is cussing out Josh McDaniels! LOL

Well, I'm at home for most- this year I'll have gotten to go to 2 (v. Bears, and AFCCG). So, I watch on my Sunday Ticket. I'm usually pretty calm and composed, except in the playoffs. Last Sunday I was Mel Gibson-crazy. I threw my hat about 40 times, and at the end of the game, I was on the floor, on my knees, literally shaking.

I have no idea how I will survive at the RCA Dome on Sunday. Hopefully it goes similar to Pittsburgh in 05, because I managed in Heinz Field. :D

I like to watch the game alone. That way I don't have to listen to anybody else and I don't piss anybody off. At half time and after the game I talk to my oldest and best friend and we go off to unload, usually agreeing, to get it all out. He likes to watch it alone too for the same reasons.

Oh and.............65 inch big screen Mitsubishi with the Marantz amp and Cambridge Soundworks speakers doesn't suck. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes