PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do you want to proceed? OLB and DL or two OLB's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
If you were drafting, do you grab two OLB's hoping one is gonna be amazing, or do you get that possible Seymour replacement?

Working on a projection for tonight, I can't decide. I have a feeling Bill like Gronkowski, but it'd be a shame to move up for him.

I'd like to see an RB, DE and OLB in the 2nd. Lot's of WR's as we flutter on down, imo. They seem like a crap-shoot for this team anyway.

How would you attack things?

In an ideal world, if you're assuming 3 picks in the round:

DE
OLB
either ILB or OLB

That would give the team the rest of the draft to focus on OG, TE, WR etc...

Also, I have no interest in the team drafting a RB in any round.

I'd like to see an RB, DE and OLB in the 2nd. Lot's of WR's as we flutter on down, imo. They seem like a crap-shoot for this team anyway.
QUOTE]

Stole the words from my mouth.

Well I've seen some people (you know the type) here saying that we don't need to draft a DE because Damione Lewis is capable. Of course they can't explain why or how, so I would like to see Wootton drafted with a 2nd or a 3rd. He needs to add some weight (20-30 lbs.) to his frame but has great height and can be largely disruptive in the passing game. I would not mind seeing a guy like Kindle or even Dunlap (I know a lot here don't like him) picked up in the 2nd. As for ILB, say no to Brandon Spikes.

We are looking to upgrade Green, Thomas and Burgess. And Watson makes four.

Well I've seen some people (you know the type) here saying that we don't need to draft a DE because Damione Lewis is capable. Of course they can't explain why or how, so I would like to see Wootton drafted with a 2nd or a 3rd. He needs to add some weight (20-30 lbs.) to his frame but has great height and can be largely disruptive in the passing game. I would not mind seeing a guy like Kindle or even Dunlap (I know a lot here don't like him) picked up in the 2nd. As for ILB, say no to Brandon Spikes.

I don't know about that.

I think Lewis/Wright/Pryor is capable, but only because I like Lewis (Hurricane-colored glasses) and thought Jarvis Green sucked. So, I'd be shocked if that weren't already an upgrade.

That all being said, I agree that DE will be a pick at some point in the 2nd round.

Kindle isn't getting picked for medical reasons. That guy's career may be over before it even starts.

I don't know about that.

I think Lewis/Wright/Pryor is capable, but only because I like Lewis (Hurricane-colored glasses) and thought Jarvis Green sucked. So, I'd be shocked if that weren't already an upgrade.

That all being said, I agree that DE will be a pick at some point in the 2nd round.

Kindle isn't getting picked for medical reasons. That guy's career may be over before it even starts.

Yeah, I have to take medical concerns into account. Shades of Groves. I do like Dunlap though. He seems like he would be a good fit in the Willie Mac "elephant" role.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think that Wooton's slow 40 time completely prevents him from playing OLB for us - other than his speed, I think either him or Ricky Sapp best fits what BB looks for in an OLB

will if the pats use all 3 picks in the 2th round i would like to see them draft.

two 3-4 DE/DT Arthur Jones, and Corey Wootton, and one big 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB Greg Hardy, Austen Lane, or Daniel Te'o-Nesheim,

I can already hear the howling when you guys hear "And with pick 44, the Patriots select Jon Asamoah, Guard, Illinois"!

I can already hear the howling when you guys hear "And with pick 44, the Patriots select Jon Asamoah, Guard, Illinois"!

I wouldn't mind that at all. I think there's great talent available at OL and unlike most I do see a need there.

I just don't want to see us reach.

Take the right OLB for the strong-side spot.
Take the right OLB for the weak-side spot.
Take the right defensive lineman to man the RDE spot.
Take the right receiver for our offense.
Take the right running back for what we want to do with the ground game.
Take the right tight end who can both block and catch.

A player to fit each of those might be:

Daniel Te’o-Nesheim
Koa Misi
Corey Wootton
Damian Williams
Montario Hardesty
Tony Moeaki

We have 44, 47, 53 and 90. Give me a player in any of those spots and I'll be very happy.

Last edited:
I'm thinking Toby Gerhart would be a great value pick at RB.

I wouldn't care about that. We need good depth at guard, just as long as the DE and OLB positions are taken care of afterward.

Personally I am hoping for a Punter,Safety,Quarterback and Cornerback in the second round.

Take the right OLB for the strong-side spot. AUSTEN LANE
Take the right OLB for the weak-side spot. AJ EDDS
Take the right defensive lineman to man the RDE spot. AL WOODS
Take the right receiver for our offense. DEXTER wait for it...
Take the right running back for what we want to do with the ground game. McCLUSTER ;)
Take the right tight end who can both block and catch. NATE BYHAM

I'm thinking Toby Gerhart would be a great value pick at RB.

The Chargers should've done Terrance Cody at #28 and Gerhart at #40 instead of wasting there draft on Matthews.

Gerhart at #44 or #47.

I want to see ...

Quality OLB/DE - preferably two and there seems to be a few out there
WR - Benn or Williams would be nice.
TE - A Hernandez, Gronkowski, Pitta

Depending on how the chips fall, it is very likley in round 2 to get 3 of those 4 pos/players

The Chargers should've done Terrance Cody at #28 and Gerhart at #40 instead of wasting there draft on Matthews.

Gerhart at #44 or #47.

I don't agree, actually. If you believe that Mathews can be a star for you, then make sure you get him. If he's a star then he automatically justifies the move up.

The real problem for the Chargers is what they do if he busts. It won't be pretty.

QB - Developmental guy tomorrow. Plenty to choose from.

RB - McCluster with #53 if you are drafting Faulk replacement, otherwise James Starks or similar later.

WR - Look for a WR run early today, then crickets for a while. Sit back and let Taylor Price, Emanuel Sanders, Andre Roberts, Marcus Easley, etc. fall to you.

TE - Just aren't that many teams with TE as a top need. Carolina is the next one that comes to mind and I'm not sure they want a TE with their first pick. So pick of the litter in the 2nd round or let them slide for a while. No rush.

OL - I'm torn on this. Could see an upgrade to Koppen but not sure if I'm sold on anyone outside Pouncey to be an immediate upgrade. I guess I'm inclined to get a project tomorrow.

DE - Would be pretty surprised if a DE weren't selected today. Haven't clue one which player Belichick is keying on (I was an Odrick fan). None are great traditional fits but several are interesting.

NT - No. :nono: You don't get extra points for roster weight.

OLB - Same exact comments as for DE.

ILB - Not specifically but can see a flex LB getting ILB snaps. I have convinced myself that Misi will be a Patriot later today.

CB - I like McCourty but am sad that this effectively ends my push for Peterson with next year's Raider #1. Could get another CB late as camp competition (none of Springs, Wheatley and Wilhite should feel safe) and I like Kevin Thomas...but he would have to really slide now before taking him.

S - Only if McGowan and/or Sanders were traded away.

P - Tomorrow. Or UDFA. Or some guy hanging around Patriot Place. Not real hard to find an upgrade here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots