PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do you think the rest of the AFC EAST did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
It'll be awhile til we can fully assess how our own team did, let alone others, but here are my initial reactions to the other AFC East team's drafts

MIAMI -generally Miami seemed constrained by having only 3 picks out of the top 114 - it's somewhat surprising to me given the way the draft shook out that they couldn't wouldn't find a trading partner to move out of 16. Picking up a 2nd rounder would have been a good thing for Saban.

Jason Allen's a bit of a head scratcher. If he's fully healthy its a good pick - and if not its a waste. Why Saban would go all or nothing at 16 rather than trade back and gain an extra pick is surprising to me.

Hagan might wind up being a decent posession back - looks like a tough, but not fast WR

BUFFALO - A+... Marv Levy really knows what he's doing!!! (NOT!) They over-reached with both their top 2 picks... I think everyone agrees that Buffalo botched this one - 2 of the top 3 QBs there for them - but they put the franchise in Los(t)man's hands instead - then over-reach for a S when they could have traded back and still got him. Same with McCargo.

I think with good coaching their 3rd round pick Ashton "Sheik" Youboty will be a decent reciever for them. S Ko Simpson will either be good or a bust - I think they will find out soon.

NY JETS - Magnini and Co played the draft well in my opinion. They resisted the urge to go QB in round one, but still got a top tier QB in Clemmons - who I think can give noodlearm a real run for his money.

They come out of the draft with two likely OL starters, a possible QB of the future, an MLB who could be a 3rd round steal, and a backup QB/WR prospect in Smith, and an RB who could be good if he can stay healthy for a full season for a change.

Hey, they even drafted a guy named "Titus" which is worth it for the giggle factor alone - a decent draft for a rebuilding team.

Overall, the Stongest got stronger as the Pats played the draft to perfection. Miami, deemed by many the 2nd best team in the division did little to improve. Buffalo continues its run of poor drafts, and the Jets helped themselves significantly, but it won't be enough this season to make a big difference.

Any other thoughts about the rest of the AFC East out there?

Good Eval JSP.

You could really see BB's tree growing wider with Mangini's draft. Titus Adams was an all-conference academic scholar, too.

JoeSixPat said:
It'll be awhile til we can fully assess how our own team did, let alone others, but here are my initial reactions to the other AFC East team's drafts

MIAMI -generally Miami seemed constrained by having only 3 picks out of the top 114 - it's somewhat surprising to me given the way the draft shook out that they couldn't wouldn't find a trading partner to move out of 16. Picking up a 2nd rounder would have been a good thing for Saban.

Jason Allen's a bit of a head scratcher. If he's fully healthy its a good pick - and if not its a waste. Why Saban would go all or nothing at 16 rather than trade back and gain an extra pick is surprising to me.

Hagan might wind up being a decent posession back - looks like a tough, but not fast WR

BUFFALO - A+... Marv Levy really knows what he's doing!!! (NOT!) They over-reached with both their top 2 picks... I think everyone agrees that Buffalo botched this one - 2 of the top 3 QBs there for them - but they put the franchise in Los(t)man's hands instead - then over-reach for a S when they could have traded back and still got him. Same with McCargo.

I think with good coaching their 3rd round pick Ashton "Sheik" Youboty will be a decent reciever for them. S Ko Simpson will either be good or a bust - I think they will find out soon.

NY JETS - Magnini and Co played the draft well in my opinion. They resisted the urge to go QB in round one, but still got a top tier QB in Clemmons - who I think can give noodlearm a real run for his money.

They come out of the draft with two likely OL starters, a possible QB of the future, an MLB who could be a 3rd round steal, and a backup QB/WR prospect in Smith, and an RB who could be good if he can stay healthy for a full season for a change.

Hey, they even drafted a guy named "Titus" which is worth it for the giggle factor alone - a decent draft for a rebuilding team.

Overall, the Stongest got stronger as the Pats played the draft to perfection. Miami, deemed by many the 2nd best team in the division did little to improve. Buffalo continues its run of poor drafts, and the Jets helped themselves significantly, but it won't be enough this season to make a big difference.

JSP, you pretty much nailed it. Love the sarcasm (A+) on Buffalo. I do think day two was better for the Bills than day one, but like you said time will tell. The Jets did very well. I expected alot more out of Miami. Not much to get excited about with them.

More or less as you say.

It is hard to compare Jets draft and Phins draft because of the disparity of # of picks. Sure the Jets came away with better players. They shuld have. Did mangini draft better than saban? I don't know. I guess they were about equal.

I thought the Bills were a little weird with their first pick until they moved up for waht's-that-guy's-name? It's good not to be a Bill's fan :D

I think the Jersey Jests made some pretty solid foundation-building picks. New regime had a pretty good first draft.

good post Joe

JoeSixPat said:

Good overall assessment Joe......This is why BB is BB and Saban is Saban......I was shocked that Miami didn't trade down and get more picks and that they burned a 1st rounder on a guy that has serious durability issues and although he is a decent CB......does not seem to have that big play/INTERCEPTION factor as he is prone to bat the ball away rather than make a play on it....even when he IS IN PERFECT position to make the pick.......anyways.....agree also on Jets and Bills......Mangini had a decent draft (although I am sure there ***es are still burning over not being able to move up to get Bush).....and Buffalo's draft was sorry.........GO PATS!!

Buffalo
1 8 Whitner, Donte SS 5-10 203 Ohio State
1 26 McCargo, John DT 6-2 301 North Carolina State
3 70 Youboty, Ashton CB 6-0 188 Ohio State
4 105 Simpson, Ko FS 6-1 208 South Carolina
5 134 Williams, Kyle DT 6-1 298 Louisiana State
5 143 Butler, Brad OT 6-7 309 Virginia
6 178 Ellison, Keith OLB 6-1 229 Oregon State
7 216 Pennington, Terrance OT 6-7 325 New Mexico
7 248 Merz, Aaron G 6-3 346 California

There is madness to their method: They are going for a fast ball hawking secondary and quick penetrating DL; Jauron is remaking the defensive line to his taste, while going with a lot of speed at S. CB and LB was not a concern for Beefalo though they took good depth with Youboty and an excellent coverage LB in Ellison. Over reaching or not, they are going for a heavier version of the Indy defense and will be a more challenging then I had hoped. They grabbed three heavyweight run blocking OL, I don't know much about their FA signings on OL, but McGahee looks to be the feature weapon whomever is sentenced to QB.

Miami
1 16 Allen, Jason CB 6-1 208 Tennessee
3 82 Hagan, Derek WR 6-2 209 Arizona State
4 114 Toledo, Joe OT 6-5 337 Washington
7 212 Evans, Fred DT 6-5 307 Texas State
7 226 Wright, Rodrique DT 6-5 306 Texas
7 233 Aromashodu, Devin WR 6-2 202 Auburn

Which conference does Tennessee play in? Which conference did Saban coach in? Now tell me he had no clue what he was getting when he took Jason Allen in round one. Hagan was a favorite of many here and Aromashodu is another SEC WR Nick knows well. Toledo has a fighting shot at winning the RT slot, a former TE with little experience at OT going to work for an outstanding O-line coach. Two DT just the right size for 3-4 DEs, don't look now but Tricky Nicky did nothing to hurt his team with this draft.

New York
1 4 Ferguson, D'Brickashaw OT 6-6 313 Virginia
1 29 Mangold, Nick C 6-4 299 Ohio State
2 49 Clemens, Kellen QB 6-2 223 Oregon
3 76 Schlegel, Anthony ILB 6-0 251 Ohio State
3 97 Smith, Eric SS 6-1 209 Michigan State
4 103 Smith, Brad WR 6-2 212 Missouri
4 117 Washington, Leon RB 5-8 202 Florida State
5 150 Pociask, Jason TE 6-3 267 Wisconsin
6 189 Coleman, Drew CB 5-8 173 Texas Christian
7 220 Adams, Titus DT 6-3 305 Nebraska

Tangini started with a natural advantage thanks to Herm the magnificent, whom I greatly miss. No. one need, O-line - looks like they did okay. No. two need, QB - another decent choice with good value. No. three need, secondary - I don't know either player, but who was that secondary coach NE used for plug and play with their young CBs? Schlegel is a smart run stuffer to play alongside lil Vilma inside. Leon Washington is quick, fast, and has decent hands out of the backfield. The Pats looked closely at Pociask, not a bad player to back up Jolly. Adams is an okay run stuffer and Brad Smith was known for his running ability if I recall. They also got the Skins 2nd rounder in 2007 and does anyone know if they got another 2007 pick with their second day trades?

There is nothing in the AFCE draft to urge any complacency for New England. The Pats are going to be playing a much tougher schedule then people hoped because these three clubs are getting back into the business of playing football. :(

I won't repeat those two detailed workups, and I won't try to top them. If I may, I'll boil them down, but first, caveat: WE DO NOT KNOW yet. Nobody in this draft has played a snap in the NFL. Still here's how it looks to me:

NE: A. Big surprise there, huh? But I'm not just being a homer. The days when we lose 4 games because Corey can't go the distance are over. It's been pointed out that we've got some extra red zone presence with Jackson, not to mention yet another crop of tight ends/h-backs/full backs. And then the beef... hey, one or more of those guys can make it, who knows.

JEST: A-/B+. I think they gain ground on everybody but NE, maybe hold the gap with the Pats unchanged.

Miami: C+/B-. They only had so much to work with, and only Saban knows how it's all supposed to fit together. Nothing they did struck me as incredibly brilliant or incredibly intelligent.

Buffalo: D, on the face of it. Again, I consider myself a rank amateur compared with these guys, but I think they've shot themselves in the foot with this draft. I'll be surprised to see them gain ground on the Pats based on what they did this year.

Full impact will be observed between 2007 and 2009 on most picks - we can talk then. I fully expect two out of three of our divisional opponents to have drafted well, based on their Belichick pedigrees ;). But then you can't spit anymore without hitting an offshoot of the Belichick coaching tree. Hell, his old sock puppet is head coach in Dallas!

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
But then you can't spit anymore without hitting an offshoot of the Belichick coaching tree. Hell, his old sock puppet is head coach in Dallas!

PFnV
Yup. Now if you count Tuna and BB's combined tree at least six come immediately to mind:

BB
Romeo
Tuna
Mangini
Saban
Coughlin

That's a pretty impressive number. Did I forget any?

I like the Bills draft a bit more than most, because I think Whitner might be the real deal at Safety, and I wouldn't be shocked to hear that BB/SP would've moved up to get him if he'd slid at all.

Remember Levi Jones. Another "reach". The fact is that if Whitner turns out to be a very good safety, then he'll have been worth the pick even if he seems a reach now. A great safety can make up for alot of problems in other areas. The Bills moved to grab him once Huff was off the board, and I don't think that's a dumb move by any stretch.

I'm also a believer in building a team from the inside-out. Other than Youbouty, who slid from what I was undertood, that's what they did. All interior defensive and offensive players. Taht's exactly how I would do it.

I also like the Jets draft, sadly.

Miami seemed to go high-risk/high-reward, which seems odd to me.

But I like the Pats draft very much as well, so I'm not going to hurl myself out the window or anything.

Unless he's a Ronnie Lott, NO safety is worth a high first round pick...valuewise it just doesn't make sense

I go back and forth on this -- on one hand, maybe Buffalo could have bought a pick to drop down in round 1, but on the other, if you get the guys you really like, who cares if people think you reached a bit. I do not think I saw a draft board with Mankins higher that lower second round, but it's obviously who BB wanted.

I think the Jets did really well.

I know the Bills are taking a beating, and didn't necessarily gauge where guys would be available well, but I really like the players they got. Whitner, Youboty and McCargo is a very solid day one. I'll knock them for not being savvy about trading picks, but I can't knock the guys they took.

Don't forget that the Jets traded John Abraham to get a #1 pick so although they did reasonably well, it cost them a darn good player. I like the two OL they got, of course, but who knows about Clemens and I thought they really reached for Schlegal - who I liked but for the 5th round or so.

Amnorix said:
I like the Bills draft a bit more than most, because I think Whitner might be the real deal at Safety, and I wouldn't be shocked to hear that BB/SP would've moved up to get him if he'd slid at all.

Remember Levi Jones. Another "reach". The fact is that if Whitner turns out to be a very good safety, then he'll have been worth the pick even if he seems a reach now. A great safety can make up for alot of problems in other areas. The Bills moved to grab him once Huff was off the board, and I don't think that's a dumb move by any stretch.

I'm also a believer in building a team from the inside-out. Other than Youbouty, who slid from what I was undertood, that's what they did. All interior defensive and offensive players. Taht's exactly how I would do it.

I also like the Jets draft, sadly.

Miami seemed to go high-risk/high-reward, which seems odd to me.

But I like the Pats draft very much as well, so I'm not going to hurl myself out the window or anything.

I'm with you concerning the Bills. It's easy to say their first two picks were reaches. Maybe they were, maybe they weren't, time will tell. However, in a couple years, if McCargo puts pressure on Brady, forcing him to throw a bad pass that's intercepted by Whitner and we lose the game because of it, I doubt anyone here will be saying, "Well, at least they were reaches."

Not saying that will happen or anything, just that no one cares about draft value anymore if you start producing on the field. I will admit it will be tougher for Whitner because he'll be signing a large contract being taken that high. Expectations will be higher on him.

I say Buffalo had the most questionable Round One of any team in recent history.

Bills fan here.....I really like what the Pats did with their draft (unfortunatly) I believe the Pick up of Chad Jackson was very very stong, imo this guy will be a future stud for Brady.

Heres how I have it rated in the AFC East

Pats-B+
Jetsies- B
Bills- B-
Dolphins-C

It seems like some of you have knowledge with where the Bills were going with their draft....They are switching to the cover 2 this yr. and need quick guys on defense hence the Whitner draft. Whitner ran a 4.38 40 which is very fast he will make an instant impact in our secondary this year. McCargo who i do feel was a reach was rated by many GM's as the 3rd best DT in the draft, if the Bills truley felt the Gmen were gonna snag him before their 2nd rd. pick they in all reality it was the right move. As for Youboty and Simpson, I believe both of these guys were "steals" and will solidify the Bills secondary for yrs. to come. This also leads me to believe Nate Clemments is all but gone after this season. Remember the "so called experts on ESPN" are not always right, look at where they project the likes of Justice, White etc. GM's didnt pass these guys for no reason, I think and NFL GM knows more then the "Chumps" on ESPN any day!

The Bills also picked up Martin Nance who I feel is a big pick up!!!

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:
Buffalo
1 8 Whitner, Donte SS 5-10 203 Ohio State
1 26 McCargo, John DT 6-2 301 North Carolina State
3 70 Youboty, Ashton CB 6-0 188 Ohio State
4 105 Simpson, Ko FS 6-1 208 South Carolina
5 134 Williams, Kyle DT 6-1 298 Louisiana State
5 143 Butler, Brad OT 6-7 309 Virginia
6 178 Ellison, Keith OLB 6-1 229 Oregon State
7 216 Pennington, Terrance OT 6-7 325 New Mexico
7 248 Merz, Aaron G 6-3 346 California

There is madness to their method: They are going for a fast ball hawking secondary and quick penetrating DL; Jauron is remaking the defensive line to his taste, while going with a lot of speed at S. CB and LB was not a concern for Beefalo though they took good depth with Youboty and an excellent coverage LB in Ellison. Over reaching or not, they are going for a heavier version of the Indy defense and will be a more challenging then I had hoped. They grabbed three heavyweight run blocking OL, I don't know much about their FA signings on OL, but McGahee looks to be the feature weapon whomever is sentenced to QB.

Miami
1 16 Allen, Jason CB 6-1 208 Tennessee
3 82 Hagan, Derek WR 6-2 209 Arizona State
4 114 Toledo, Joe OT 6-5 337 Washington
7 212 Evans, Fred DT 6-5 307 Texas State
7 226 Wright, Rodrique DT 6-5 306 Texas
7 233 Aromashodu, Devin WR 6-2 202 Auburn

Which conference does Tennessee play in? Which conference did Saban coach in? Now tell me he had no clue what he was getting when he took Jason Allen in round one. Hagan was a favorite of many here and Aromashodu is another SEC WR Nick knows well. Toledo has a fighting shot at winning the RT slot, a former TE with little experience at OT going to work for an outstanding O-line coach. Two DT just the right size for 3-4 DEs, don't look now but Tricky Nicky did nothing to hurt his team with this draft.

New York
1 4 Ferguson, D'Brickashaw OT 6-6 313 Virginia
1 29 Mangold, Nick C 6-4 299 Ohio State
2 49 Clemens, Kellen QB 6-2 223 Oregon
3 76 Schlegel, Anthony ILB 6-0 251 Ohio State
3 97 Smith, Eric SS 6-1 209 Michigan State
4 103 Smith, Brad WR 6-2 212 Missouri
4 117 Washington, Leon RB 5-8 202 Florida State
5 150 Pociask, Jason TE 6-3 267 Wisconsin
6 189 Coleman, Drew CB 5-8 173 Texas Christian
7 220 Adams, Titus DT 6-3 305 Nebraska

Tangini started with a natural advantage thanks to Herm the magnificent, whom I greatly miss. No. one need, O-line - looks like they did okay. No. two need, QB - another decent choice with good value. No. three need, secondary - I don't know either player, but who was that secondary coach NE used for plug and play with their young CBs? Schlegel is a smart run stuffer to play alongside lil Vilma inside. Leon Washington is quick, fast, and has decent hands out of the backfield. The Pats looked closely at Pociask, not a bad player to back up Jolly. Adams is an okay run stuffer and Brad Smith was known for his running ability if I recall. They also got the Skins 2nd rounder in 2007 and does anyone know if they got another 2007 pick with their second day trades?

There is nothing in the AFCE draft to urge any complacency for New England. The Pats are going to be playing a much tougher schedule then people hoped because these three clubs are getting back into the business of playing football. :(

Nice job, Box. I thought none hurt themselves, either. Was especially impressed with the Jests. EM has a bigger say than I thought he would.

Despite Borges wetting his trousers over the Jet's draft (anything to rile the Pats), I see it as a fair to middling draft with mediocre value and a number of question marks:

A good point was raised about the second Jets pick - they effectively traded Abraham for Mangold, and that in itself is not a very good trade at all despite Mangold's apparent talent.

I like Ferguson but we'll see if he's as mean as he is good, plus he's going to cost the Jets a bundle going at number four.

The Clemens pick was definitely EM reaching for his own Tom Brady since Clemens rates high on the intagibles but only fair on the physical skills/size. Most sources had Clemens going in the 4-5th rounds.

Schlegel is short and slow and he surely benefitted from playing between Carpenter and Hawk. He doesn't have the skills to be anything more than a 2 down LB.

Eric Smith has had numerous injury issues and looks like a special teamer which makes him a low vaule pick in round 3.

Brad Smith is one heck of an athlete but is making the transition to from QB to WR, a position he has never played.

Washington has been beset by injuries and looks to be a change of pace back at best since he doesn't have the size to go every down and has always had durability issues.

Pociask is a smart, tough player though he is undersized and not very fast at all (nothing like Mills) but certainly was a good value here and could be a 2nd/3rd TE for years.

As with most teams, the rest of guys won't likely matter. So considering all aspects of the draft I give them a C, and could be much worse if Clemens never starts and Ferguson never makes the Pro Bowl.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back