PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do you think the offense will come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was my thought, a tight end. The play calling and the short drop passing game needs to be in use..... screens, crossings. Do this successfully from the get go, and it will open up a more balanced attack.

The biggest mistake this team can make is to open conservatively and attempt to establish the running game first. If they attempt that, the first quarter will be a disaster they may never recover from.

Exactly how do you think that would occur?

Last edited:
I WOULD COME OUT WITH
----------------------------------
Brady, Taylor, Moss, Welker, Grankowski, Crumpler

I would expect to try succeed with the short passing game, especially with slants.

I'd love to see this, although maybe swapping Hernandez for Gronk, allowing for all sorts of fun out of the no huddle. first play will be some sort of quick hitter, either welker on an option route or a TE on an in. If the play is succesful (4-5 yds or so), no huddle to Randy n Wes opposite a two TE overload looking for something deep between Randy and Gronk/Hernandez up the seam. If first play is a dud I'm still expecting a quick 3 step timing throw. I'd be surprised if they come out in the gun though. With TE being such a (perceived at this point anyway) strength, it wouldn't make sense not to have some sort of 2 TE set to open the game. With one of them being Hernandez, more of a pass catching TE rather than run-blocking, it would allow for a lot of flexibility runnong the no huddle. Having him out there would still allow draws/screens to be a good option as well as more aggressive passing options. With Grunk/Crump, the calls are more limited to power-run, quick hits to Wes, and play action.

OTOH, BB has no compunction about giving up something that he knows isn't going to work (e.g., when he had Brady just throw over Minnesota's vaunted run D back in 2006).

In the first half of that game, Brady threw 25 passes for 257 yds and only 7 runs. The Vikings had to key on the pass all game long so they got 4 long runs (35 22 11 15) and when it was over it was 31-7…Pats

If Edelman is healthy,they can throw Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate , Crumpler Hernandez or Gronkowski or some combo thereof out there which is more formidible than Chad Jackson, Doug Gabriel and Reche Caldwell who was out there in 2006.

It would be tempting to go 3 TE power set, send Moss to Revis Island, and see what happens, but that involves leaving Welker off the field, not the most appealing of ideas.

I too would love to see the Patriots open up with a 3 TE power set plus Moss and Welker. I know the personnel would telegraph a pass play, but I am doubtful the Jets could defend that many talented receivers. What a difference from say 2006 Pats team!!!

Brady is the best QB in the league in turning the passing game into an ad-hoc running game by quickly finding a WR within 5 yards. He's built his career on it. Honestly I have no problem with Brady being in the gun the entire game. As the blitz comes counter it with a screen or delayed hand off. If no blitz comes find Moss wherever he is.

I would love to see them pound it with Fred Taylor. With Jenkins out last year Maroney had 77 yards but only 3.5 ypc. and the Patriots out rushed the Jets 111 to 104. I feel Taylor has more than 3.5 ypc left in the tank. Can our oline be nasty and come out and punch the Jets front 7 in the mouth? I say yes. In a game like this where everyone is talking pass pass pass it always seems like Belichick comes out and does the opposite.

Start with 2 TE, 3 WR in shotgun formation with a TE in the slot.

Tate 97 yard kickoff return for TD

I don't care what play we run as long as a blocker destroys Bart Scott. Correction, as long Gronk destroys Bart Scott. Play Call: BS Pancake on 1.

I expect play action early to keep the defense honest. I expect our TE's to change the landscape of this game early on and force the Jets defense to adjust to us.

I expect nothing less than a TD from Welker or Moss on the first drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back