Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How Will Dillon React to Maroney ?

• He'll work his ass off and have a great year.

Votes: 64 83.1%
  • He'll be the same as last year but a year older.

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • He'll sulk and be detrimental to the team.

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
shmessy said:
He looked plenty beaten up in the SB in 2004. He was a workhorse that year and may have been slightly overused. Don't forget, this isn't a Curtis Martin-Barry Sanders-type runner. This guy is a diesel who takes and initiates contact.

This is a proud man. He is p.o'd because of last year's performance, the media harping on his age and (probably) the 1st rounder to eventually succeed him.

I can't quantify my excitement at seeing such a p.o'd Dillon this year. This will be goooooooooooood!!!!!!!
I do think Dillon was used a lot in 04..and the first 2 games in 05?? Oakland Carolina...these are teams that are HEAVY on run stopping..walls. I do think he was injured early in the year..and in multiple ways..and he was frustrated by it and did his best!! I think a lot of that was self-directed..he wanted to do more..but couldn't.
With another back, Dillon will get rest and be more effective..having two backs will REALLY help a lot. Dillon gives his all sometimes when he should pace himself..

Dillon's problem last year:

10% age
50% injury
40% revolving door of an offensive line

Dillon will be back this year big time. Will he share some carries? Sure. But he may even welcome that. It will extend his longevity career wise and keep him fresh for when he does get the touches.

Last edited:
mikey said:
I thought the issue with Dillon at Cincy was RESPECT.

Marvin Lewis showed him NO respect and Dillon felt INSULTED by the treatment after all the years he had contributed to the team.

But the situation is different here.

Belichick showed him respect by calling him up before drafting Malroney.

And it was Belichick who gave him to OPPORTUNITY to rejuvenate his career, to accomplish his career-best performance, to earn a SB ring, and to recoup his tarnished image.

Dillon is older and more mature.

So no, he will not be disruptive.

In fact, he will work even harder and help us bring home our 4th Lombardi.

Well said, Mikey, well said indeed........ This was gonna be my line of thought but you discussed much more succinctly than I ever could!

Last edited:
BB will put the RB on the feild who gives us the greatest chance to win. All CD has to do is be the best. He is capable.

I just really feel bad that so many people have just gave up on him, saying he was washed up, he doesnt have anything left anymore. That isnt true, the part rookie offensive line was just thrown in there when injuries came along at any point. Positions were changed, confusion is expected. He comes off a 1600 yard year in 2004 as a major part in our championship team, and the next year he is trashed because he didnt get 1000 yards with injuries. Its almost like the DB's are useless because they got burned so many times. They were injured and playing, and with some of the young guys like Samuel and Wilson they were completely lossed with out Harrison back there. If Wilson ends up having a few more years alongside Harrison, he could turn into a very good safety. I guess it was a learning experience for some of them this year. When basically their mentor goes down, they had to do it alone and struggled. Finally they started to get it together near the end of the season though.

Last edited:
Dillon will be effective ...but his age is his age. He will benefit from not having to carry the ball 30 times a game. His legs will be much fresher come playoff time. The addition of Mulroney could add a year or 2 to his career.

I think the 'plan' will be presented to him and I think he will buy into it. It will be better for the team and Dillon.

I will go with...

Be fine with it, work his ass off, have a better year then last with less carries but still be a year older. Not a great year, but a better one.

Corey will beable to bash it in more effectively in short yardage, likely have a few good games and a few bad ones. But he will sorta have his career wind down similar to Bettis, retiring in 2-4 years. Let the young guy take some of the load off, but still be a vital element to the offense while letting Marroney learn those critcle skills like blocking the guy trying to kill your quarterback.

At this point.....

Dillon is still the man in NE until proven otherwise. I wouldn't expect alot from Maroney this year, until he has had a chance to learn our system. I think he studies under Corey and comes in every once in awhile to mix it up....But Dillon IS our #1 RB at this point. Alot of last year's running woes were as a result of our O line's run blocking being absolutely pitiful.....yeah they had injuries.....but overall they weren't opening the holes all that well......that and Dillon was banged up.......I see Dillon coming back BIG this year if he can stay healthy...........what do y'all think?

BelichickFan said:
I kind of agree with Felger that last year we heard what great shape Dillon was in and even before getting hurt he looked bad. My guess is somewhere between a year older and sulking. I am not confident this ends well and I predict Maroney gets more carries than Dillon in 2006.

Yeah he's been pretty inconsistent over his career.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hmmmmmm,.......

I haven't seen it here but I think Corey was hurt in preseason last year?

Can't remember where I saw this posted, could be wrong, anyone?

Anyway, I hope Corey and LoMo work well together. CD needs a rest and
LM needs the experience.

If the O-line can keep any level of consistency in terms of personnel the RB should definitely improve.

BelichickFan said:
He didn't react well when the Bengals brought in competition.
At that time he had had a string of something like 8 1000 yard seasons. He was the MAN. Now he's 3 or 4 years older and has failed to get 1000 yards 2 of the past 3 years. Plus, remember he was HAPPY to come to the Pats and NOT BE THE MAN. He just wants to be a team contributor and get another ring, I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back