Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How Will Dillon React to Maroney ?

• He'll work his ass off and have a great year.

Votes: 64 83.1%
  • He'll be the same as last year but a year older.

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • He'll sulk and be detrimental to the team.

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
He didn't react well when the Bengals brought in competition.

Last edited:
I kind of agree with Felger that last year we heard what great shape Dillon was in and even before getting hurt he looked bad. My guess is somewhere between a year older and sulking. I am not confident this ends well and I predict Maroney gets more carries than Dillon in 2006.

He's been working hard already so that is a good start. He was pissed off because they weren't winning in cinci more than anything else. I think he'll be professional about this because he knows that this year may be his last chance to prove that he is the #1 back. At any rate, CD would be better off having less carries anyway. He's better when playing fresh i think, especially now that age will catch up with him as it has with all of us over 30!

smg93 said:
He's been working hard already so that is a good start.
The problem is he was "working hard" and in great shape last offseason and looked like crap from Game One. So I don't believe it, although I hope it's true.

He looked plenty beaten up in the SB in 2004. He was a workhorse that year and may have been slightly overused. Don't forget, this isn't a Curtis Martin-Barry Sanders-type runner. This guy is a diesel who takes and initiates contact.

The very first game last year against the Raiders, he looked tired and ineffective in the first series he actually played (IIRC the Pats only passed the first 1 or 2 series). His first 4-5 carries averaged only 2 yards or less. The only baseball analogy I can come up with is "dead arm pitcher". It was at that very early point in the season that ABC's camera's caught that famous clip of Brady on the sidelines "strongly encouraging him" while Dillon had a disgusted and resigned look on his face.

This is a proud man. He is p.o'd because of last year's performance, the media harping on his age and (probably) the 1st rounder to eventually succeed him.

I can't quantify my excitement at seeing such a p.o'd Dillon this year. This will be goooooooooooood!!!!!!!

I suppose it could go either of those ways, but this isn't the Bengals either. Corey is now three years older, has a ring and has a little chip on his shoulder because of last year. This team won't allow him to sulk or be disruptive. How much of last year was actually a high ankle sprain and how much was natural progression we don't know just yet. But BB and TB were both pretty adamant last season that effort was not the problem - it was execution. And I think after 2004 many teams were also determined to stop the run when they faced us. I also recall he threw some hellacious blocks along the way. That led me to conclude that he was missing his burst and cut ability and holes weren't prevalent enough or were closing too quickly to make up for it. That's why at times I think Faulk appeared more effective. Remember BB drafted a big beast for that line too.

BelichickFan said:
He didn't react well when the Bengals brought in competition.
The pats aren't the bengals. the situation may not be the same.

He'll have a good year

BB called him a little before drafting Maroney, and I thinks that a gesture that Dillon must have appreciated. I think he'll work really hard knowing that this might be his last year to shine.

He'll have a great year...

He'll push even harder to make sure he is the starter. If he does have a great year what do we do with him after this year? Do we trade him away?

If he has a bad year we know he's not being traded for nothing.

Was he really upset when they brought in competition in Cincy? I remember him lashing out at the media that year because they were dogging him and saying he wanted to be traded, but I didn't think it was ever about Rudi Johnson.

I felt before the draft that Corey would come back and have a good year. Now, with Maroney to give him some plays off, they both will have good years.

This will also help Tom a great deal. With an effective 1-2 punch running the ball, he can sell the play action better. It will keep the pass rushers guessing.

All in all our offense is going to be even more effective than last year. It should be awesome.

I thought the issue with Dillon at Cincy was RESPECT.

Marvin Lewis showed him NO respect and Dillon felt INSULTED by the treatment after all the years he had contributed to the team.

But the situation is different here.

Belichick showed him respect by calling him up before drafting Malroney.

And it was Belichick who gave him to OPPORTUNITY to rejuvenate his career, to accomplish his career-best performance, to earn a SB ring, and to recoup his tarnished image.

Dillon is older and more mature.

So no, he will not be disruptive.

In fact, he will work even harder and help us bring home our 4th Lombardi.

Dillon will be fine with the situation. BB, his coach, had the respect for his starter to give Corey a call and let him know they were taking a Running Back. Maroney's value to the team was too good to pass up at that point in the draft, it is, after all, a business.

BB knows that Dillon was disappointed with his performance last year and is busting his butt to get into exceptional shape for this year. Corey, for the first time in his career, has hired his own personal trainer to work with him for improving speed, strength and durability (he's running up sand dunes ala Walter Payton to get his power back and legs of steel). The man is pissed off at himself and now realizes that combating age requires increased effort.

He is also a professional on a very Team oriented football team. He will do whatever it takes to assist the newcomer because it is fully expected by his coaches, his teamates and himself. This guy will be the one who will give him some rest in a game so it's in his own best interests to help the guy that essentially can extend Corey's career by taking some snaps and keeping him healthy. Maroney is also going to realize that Dillon has a wealth of knowledge that he needs to learn to give him a fast learning curve for the NFL. They should work well together, the seasoned, grizzled veteran teaching the tricks and techniques of the trade to the new and respectful rookie so that they end up pushing each other to great heights.

Dillon's also smart enough to know that BB has always felt that competition is a necessary tool to get the best effort out of all his players. I also think all he really wants is to perform well and help his team to keep their winning ways. I doubt that he is satisfied with one ring so he should still be hungry. I don't think there's a problem at all. I think the ones with the problem are Pass and/or Faulk! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I don't think Dillon needs to sulk. Maroney's a threat to Kevin Faulk and Patrick Pass not Dillon.

Hoodie said:
I don't think Dillon needs to sulk. Maroney's a threat to Kevin Faulk and Patrick Pass not Dillon.

Not a threat to Pass- - - Maroney (by his own admission) has been a poor blocker and doesn't play ST's.

Now Garrett Mills - - that's whom Pass should be looking out for.

Last edited:
i think he will 'suffer' Maroney and Maroney could become earlier then expected our starter

You see, even if it was about Johnson being brought in for competition, that was still win Corey Dillon was in some of his very good years. He has to at least understand even if he doesnt want to be too happy about this, that he had a tough season last year there are doubts surrounding him, but he's still being given a chance next season to show what he has left in his tank.

B , sort of

We didn't spend a 1st round pick on Maroney just for the competition. Corey *will* work his ass off like the rest of the team but I think the next two years will be transition years for him. Think Steven Jackson / Marshall Faulk.

He will have a good year *IF* he remains healthy, and by good I mean 800-900 yds at 3.5 ypc, including several crucial first down pickups late in the game and 12-16 touchdowns.

But there is no question in my mind that he will be splitting carries from the get go. BB will want to save him for end of season where the running game counts big.

I think its none of the above - Dillon isn't getting any younger and he knows that the team needed to acquire their RB of the future. That's not an insult to him - just common sense.

BB told him what he thinks of and expects from Dillon when he gave him his big new contract, and also guaranteed additional $$ this year, making it more of a "real" 5 year contract. So he's got his money, and now the number of reps he gets is up to him.

Frankly I think Dillon could benefit by having a break every now and then, giving Maroney time to develop.

I'm not sure how good a receiver Maroney is but wouldn't it be interesting to see BB use a 2 back set every now and then - with either one as a potential receiver?

Not enough choices.

He has always worked his ***** off. With Maroney, this will be the ultimate test of the "reformed Dillon", but I think he'll be fine. But does he have a great year? Hard to know if Dillon is "aging" as a beat up RB or if he just had two many nagging injuries last season to ever get any momentum going. If he has another season like last, then I'd be more worried about how he reacts to that, particularly if Maroney is an instant smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back