PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do you think Cassel feels right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I can't imagine all the thoughts that must be rushing through his head right now. He finally got what he wanted--a starting job in the NFL--but not soon enough for his dad to see that every major sports site actually cared about where he was going.

Even more importantly, it makes me wonder what he thinks about the fact that, for all practical purposes, the New England Patriots are still the only team that truly believes in him; the only people who were interested in Cassel himself were New England, Kansas City, and maybe Denver. On the other hand, I have this feeling he's going to want teach certain teams (see: Buccaneers) a lesson when he faces them next. :)

Exciting and pumped, about to be very rich. Good for him.

I'd be disappointed I wasn't in Denver running McDaniels' system, which would have made the transitioning process much easier for me.

10176562_1d9bf9608d.jpg

He is in a great position.. 14+million this year.. pretty much guaranteed a long term contract.. not bad for a back up in USC...

I can't imagine all the thoughts that must be rushing through his head right now. He finally got what he wanted--a starting job in the NFL--but not soon enough for his dad to see that every major sports site actually cared about where he was going.

Even more importantly, it makes me wonder what he thinks about the fact that, for all practical purposes, the New England Patriots are still the only team that truly believes in him; the only people who were interested in Cassel himself were New England, Kansas City, and maybe Denver. On the other hand, I have this feeling he's going to want teach certain teams (see: Buccaneers) a lesson when he faces them next. :)

He's got to be one of the happiest guys in the NFL!!!

Lost in all this talk about there being no market for Cassel is this HUGE fact. Any trade would be dependant on Cassel's willingness to sign a new long term deal. This guy went from a nobody, just happy to be camp fodder to having a say in who he plays for and for how much.

He has to be very happy !!!!! I mean...what a YEAR for him...in fact so much has happened in 6 months...pretty incredible!!

I would much prefer to have the few close associates believe in my abilities vs having them not believe in my abilities.

This is doubly true if those close associates were the absolute best in the business.

Besides, football is emotional. No problem with a lil chip on the shoulder after being disrespected.

The BB in me wants to answer:

"I don't know about Matt Cassel. I only know about the players that here. I have a football team to coach.":D

All kidding aside, I think Mattie C woke up with a 10 model rolled up in his sheets thinking "where the hell am I am right now?"

Who is this Cassel person everyone is speaking of?

The father did get to see his son emerge though - the Jets and Phins games were Cassel's breakout, which had to have made him proud.

Last edited:
I'd be disappointed I wasn't in Denver running McDaniels' system, which would have made the transitioning process much easier for me.

Read this AM that his new HC Todd Haley is stoked about the signing because KC is running the same system with the same terminology and Matt won't have to transition to something different. Given that, I'd rather be playing for a team Pioli just took over than for a rookie HC whose getting hung out to dry over a decision that likely wasn't his to make and a no-name rookie GM who would have fielded that call and owner Pat Bowlen would have been the guy ultimately making that level of decision.

In Denver most of the fanbase was predisposed to kick and scream over the loss of Shannahan and the object of their anger is not the guy who fired a legend and hired a rookie but the hire himself. Ditto most of them perceive cry baby Cutler as some elite pro bowl talent to be coddled and not a middle of the pack franchise starter with ongoing health and maturity issues.

The guy who eventually replaces Cutler there will have a tough road to hoe as a result. KC fans on the other hand were mildly intrigued with Thigpen but only for lack of anything else to focus positive energy on. Their angst over trading #3 for Cassel quickly turned to awe as they realized they got him and a veteran presence on a D transitioning to 3-4 for #34.

This almost could not have turned out better for Matt. Dealt prior to the offseason programs commencing, to a team with cap and cash and a solid fanbase conditioned after a couple of Herm seasons for reasonable expectations, one with midwest sensibilities and loyalties as opposed to east coast passion, a HC coming off a superbowl season, possibly a RAC coached D to back him up...

The one caveat being this GM isn't gonna pay top teir money for one good season as a pro. He's gonna point to what Brady did in NE (on the heels of a SB MVP at that) and ask Matt why he'd expect an organization committed to installing a winning system in KC should deviate from the blueprint that allowed that system to flourish in NE. He'll have to settle for an incremental deal that allows Pioli to build a team around him or he'll remain in audition mode (and while absorbing all the risk) at least a year longer. If he's as level headed as I think he is he will meet Pioli in the middle and focus his energy and attention on making KC his team and a winner. Just as Brady did in NE.

Not predicting a ring in his first season let alone 3 in his career, but he could be a player on a stable contender for the forseeable future. Pioli will provide him with at least a 3-4
year window of opportunity (support) to firmly establish himself as a quality starter. Not sure Josh is gonna be around for 3 seasons (through no fault of his own) unless he now finds a way to unload crybaby for substantial value while somehow managing to make the playoffs out of the gate... Considering what's transpired in Denver the last couple of seasons their fan base has unrealistic expectations. Crybaby started asking for a trade the day his HC and his former HC got their pink slips. He's gonna undercut his HC at every turn and with his favorite target likely suspended for the first 4 games he's gonna have issues.

Nope, KC was THE best case scenario for Cassel.

Nope, KC was THE best case scenario for Cassel.

Not sure I agree w that statement as is - but there is something to be said for coming in for a 2-14 team that has more talent than a 2-14 team. While Cassel has proven he isn't one to be thwarted by high expectations (ie, coming in for Brady), coming into a team where a 5 win season would be an improvement should take some pressure off.

KC will improve a bunch w him, no doubt, but they need a lot more weapons on offense if they want to compete. Until proven otherwise, I do not think Cassel is near the level where he can carry a team like a Brady or Manning.

on one hand, he's gonna be rich and he was acquired by a guy who is familiar with his abilities, so that's got to feel good....

on the other hand, he's gone from living in the LA area to the Boston area to living at the gateway to the rectangular states......

How Matt feels? Let's see...

He has 8 figures of guaranteed income
He has a starting QB job in the NFL
He has a GM who knows him and believes in him and will give him time to establish himself
He has a rabid, supportive fan base (vs say Denver which is and would be in turmoil)
He did NOT get traded to the debacle of Detroit despite a marginally better offer for him alone
He has financial security in troubled times
He has his health

I'd say that makes for a pretty good feeling

Read this AM that his new HC Todd Haley is stoked about the signing because KC is running the same system with the same terminology and Matt won't have to transition to something different.

Yes, I just read that this morning too:

Peter King said:
The Chiefs now should have their quarterback of the future, assuming new coach Todd Haley's as good a quarterback tutor as he appeared in Arizona the past couple of years. Haley, who worked with Belichick and Charlie Weis with the Jets a decade ago, told me over the weekend what has him thrilled is that the New England offense and the Kansas City offense have the same verbiage and playcalls. "So we won't have to take the time a new quarterback would normally have to take to get up to speed in a new system,'' Haley said. "He knows this system. And I've watched so much of him from last year. I see a player who's learned under a Hall of Fame quarterback in Tom Brady, and who's so mature for someone with only a year's experience.''

Caveat being terminology doesn't make 100% of the offensive learning curve, but it certainly is the lion's share.

I believe Cassel wishes he was in the Mile High city where he can throw the ball 10% farther...and finally complete his first long pass... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes