PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do you guys not like this trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJAJ15 said:
Could not agree more, an underachiever in this organization with so much talent may be a steal.

And what's the worst case scenario? We cut Sullivan? With no adverse cap consequence? What's not to like?

Heck - by the NFL rules can't we trade him ourselves? Maybe we whip him into shape, have BB issue a few "he's got potential" comments and then see what type of a draft pick we can get for him?

There's nothing preventing us from doing that in the CBA is there? i.e. there's not a minimum amount of time he has to be on the roster before we trade him, is there?

I'm not saying that's the plan, but it could be an option that no one's yet considered if Sullivan increases his value with the Pats.

shmessy said:
How can anyone not like this trade? There was a very good chance that Bethel was not going to make the team this year. BB has had to spend way too much time babysitting this guy and his production the past two years has been nominal.

Sullivan was a #6 pick three years ago. The Pats had lusted after him and had to "settle" for Ty Warren. Put him in the correct situation (no Hasletts within 100 miles) and he could be very scary. I hope the Pats go to a 4-3 (we're rich at DL and have a ton of Safeties for ST's - we can now go a little spare at LB).

The question is "What do we miss without Bethel?" Nothing but Potential. I'll hold my nose and quote the Tuna - - "The definition of 'Potential' is 'Haven't done a damm thing yet'".

I find the quotes around settle to be amusing since Ty Warren really hasn't done anything either.

Ty Warren "really hasn't done anything"?

I must be watching a different D line than you.Ty Warren has been a solid player on the D line for the N.E. Patriots...at least the N.E. Patriots I watch.

TomBradyWoot said:
I find the quotes around settle to be amusing since Ty Warren really hasn't done anything either.

Wow. honestly, that's one of the most ignorant, laughable, baseless, clueless things I've ever read on any messageobard anywhere in the universe. Seriously - are you for real or just a trolling stirrer?

Last edited by a moderator:
GoWhalers said:
That's the part I'm wrestling with. As for the "his-former-college-teammate-will-bring-this-former-first-rounder-into-form" theory, I'd like to cite the David Terrell experiment as at least an example of how that does not necessarily apply.

Difference is Terrell worked hard and didn't have the talent, this kids has the talent, he just needs to make the effort.

patsox23 said:
Wow. honestly, that's one of the most ignorant, laughable, baseless, clueless things I've ever read on any messageobard anywhere in the universe. Seriously - are you for real or just a trolling stirrer?

Just because I don't think every Patriot player is the greatest and overrate them doesn't make me a troll. I can't think of anytime where Ty Warren has made the difference in a game. Please tell me what difference having Ty Warren has made since drafting him in 2003.

Watch and learn this season.

I love the upside of the trade personally. This gives us alot of latitude to switch it up between the 3-4 and 4-3. I think everything depends on Sullivan and his attitude coming in here. If he yields to the coaching staff's instructions and gives his A+ effort I'm hoping he could be the player Pioli and BB saw a few years ago.

If not, he's in for a rude awakening. If he is cut by Bill and the other coaches he may run himself out of the NFL as far as any real interest from other teams. I'm pretty sure Belichick's opinion of a player goes a long way with other coaches around the NFL and Sullivan really doesn't want to be labeled as such from him. It sure did help Sullivan get drafted at #6.

You must be one of these fantasy idiots that has migrated here from that putrid KFFL board.The Patriots defensive line is considered one of the best in the league...precisely because players like Warren carry out their assignments game after game. PatSox23 NEVER said anything about "greatest" or "best player!!!!!"...he just asked what I'm sure most of us are wondering...what Patriots team have YOU been watching.

AND....if it's stats from Warren you so desperately crave, you will continue to be disappointed. Try reading up on the TONS of defensive analyses out there on the Patriots defense and check out the CONSISTENTLY HIGH GRADES given to the D line GAME AFTER GAME the last couple of years

TomBradyWoot said:
Just because I don't think every Patriot player is the greatest and overrate them doesn't make me a troll. I can't think of anytime where Ty Warren has made the difference in a game. Please tell me what difference having Ty Warren has made since drafting him in 2003.

Warren is a beast against the run and your should know by now that D lineman's impact in a 3-4 is often not measured in stats and shown in them making big plays. He holds the line of scrimmage and creates gaps for the LB's which is exactly what you want of your DL in this defense. Notice how Seymour doesn't get big sack totals despite being considered by many to be the best DE in the game. Warren is probably the most underappreciated player on this team.

TomBradyWoot said:
When Ted Washington broke his leg in 2003, Ty Warren started at Nose Tackle for eight games and out run defense IMPROVED.

zippo59 said:
Warren is a beast against the run and your should know by now that D lineman's impact in a 3-4 is often not measured in stats and shown in them making big plays. He holds the line of scrimmage and creates gaps for the LB's which is exactly what you want of your DL in this defense. Notice how Seymour doesn't get big sack totals despite being considered by many to be the best DE in the game. Warren is probably the most underappreciated player on this team.

Total truth.

oh yeah, by the way, the Patriots LOST against Denver in the playoffs, but NOT because of the defense, which held the high scoring Broncos well below their season averages across the board...AND GUESS WHO MADE 8 UNASSISTED TACKLES IN THAT GAME?

Nah...couldn't be ....could it?

Joker said:
You must be one of these fantasy idiots that has migrated here from that putrid KFFL board.The Patriots defensive line is considered one of the best in the league...precisely because players like Warren carry out their assignments game after game. PatSox23 NEVER said anything about "greatest" or "best player!!!!!"...he just asked what I'm sure most of us are wondering...what Patriots team have YOU been watching.

AND....if it's stats from Warren you so desperately crave, you will continue to be disappointed. Try reading up on the TONS of defensive analyses out there on the Patriots defense and check out the CONSISTENTLY HIGH GRADES given to the D line GAME AFTER GAME the last couple of years

I'd like for you to point out where I said he called Warren the BEST PLAYER!!! or GREATEST. Don't put words in my mouth. It's my opinion that Warren isn't all that. Live with it.

PS..Try making your point next time without name calling. What are you 10?

I'm not crazy about the trade. These fat, lazy, I'm not goin' to meetings types seem to always remain busts.

At least Bethel made a handful of plays in this league. He made as many plays as fat man missed meetings.

In T-shirts absense, I have to ask the question. How is this going to effect the "tightness" of the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back