PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do you guys not like this trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Even though Sullivan was a bust in New Orleans, not too many players did well except their DE's. With that said, I'm a little bummed that Johnson isn't with us, however he hardly ever played so this trade will work out in the end for the Pats. Keep in mind, the Pats have better coaches and get more out of their players than crappy teams. Take Gerard Warren for example. With this trade, I believe they are switching to a 4-3 front which makes a lot of sense. There are questions on who will be their inside or outside LB in the 3-4 but by trading for Sullivan, switching to a 4-3 will make the D-Line in my opinion a lot stronger and hide any flaws at LB.

Check it out:

possible D-Line

DE: Seymour
DT: Sullivan
DT: Wilfork
DE: Warren

or

DE: Green
DT: Wilfork
DT: Seymour
DE: Warren

with the LB's
OLB: Vrabel
MLB: Bruschi
OLB: Colvin

Last edited by a moderator:
both warren and seymour would more likely be 4-3 DTs..were fine @ 3-4..a bust thus far makes us a 4-3? Why would we go 4-3 after so much success with a 3-4 .. we lose an OLB and we need to change defense competley? 3-4 D is what got us to where we are because blitzes come from all over

I know the local fast food joints in Foxboro will love this trade...

I like the trade. I think Sullivan (who was picked before Warren), will be fine as a back-up NT. He'll keep Wilfork fresh by giving him a breather. Sullivan doesn't have to make a lot of tackles. All he has to do is control the gap and be an immoveable blob.

I share your enthusiasm re: this deal, but the Patriots are not switching to a 4-3. You people are worse than the Klecko-will-be-cut cult of the last two off-seasons.

BTW, Klecko WILL be cut but there was no way he was going to be cut last year or the year before.

I don't hate the trade, I'm just more puzzled with it. Our D line is our strength and WR is one of our weaknesses right now. Why throw one of our WRs who at worst could return kicks and be a deep threat in certain situations for a D tackle who probably isn't the 4th. best player in the group and might not see the field at all? I won't lose any sleep over it though.

I agree complete with Patriots-80. Sullivan will make a useful backup on the line. Bethel Johnson wasn't much use at all and wasn't likely to be.

If I were Bam Childress, I'd be delighted with this trade.

And, as for any change in the 3-4 defense, not a chance. The whole team is built around it. And it works.

huskeralk said:
I don't hate the trade, I'm just more puzzled with it. Our D line is our strength and WR is one of our weaknesses right now. Why throw one of our WRs who at worst could return kicks and be a deep threat in certain situations for a D tackle who probably isn't the 4th. best player in the group and might not see the field at all? I won't lose any sleep over it though.

Because, sadly, Bethel was just never going to make it here. FOUR catches last year in a year when we needed him to step up.

If for depth reasons at NT alone, this is a good deal - now, should RS be able to teach him a little,this deal could be a huge steal.

huskeralk said:
Though we have plenty of defensive line depth, we don't have a lot of defensive TACKLE depth. We'll beef Sullivan up and put him at tackle.

As for Johnson, the organization and he were not getting along well. Or, perhaps, Chad Jackson or someone else can readily play in the same "deep threat" role that Johnson did.

I can't see any downside to this trade for us... even if Bethel does the unimaginable and reinvents himself in NO, I'll deem it a situation where he needed a fresh start and would not have performed that well here.

As far Sullivan, one has to feel that a 6th overall pick as putty in the hands of BB is a very good thing.

Ultimately, this could be one of those classic win win trades for both teams - which is good for everyone, including the players involved.

But if I had to guess I'd say we got the better end of the bargain.

JoeSixPat said:
I can't see any downside to this trade for us... even if Bethel does the unimaginable and reinvents himself in NO, I'll deem it a situation where he needed a fresh start and would not have performed that well here.

As far Sullivan, one has to feel that a 6th overall pick as putty in the hands of BB is a very good thing.

Ultimately, this could be one of those classic win win trades for both teams - which is good for everyone, including the players involved.

But if I had to guess I'd say we got the better end of the bargain.

Could not agree more, an underachiever in this organization with so much talent may be a steal.

Remix 6 said:
both warren and seymour would more likely be 4-3 DTs..were fine @ 3-4..a bust thus far makes us a 4-3? Why would we go 4-3 after so much success with a 3-4 .. we lose an OLB and we need to change defense competley? 3-4 D is what got us to where we are because blitzes come from all over

Most likely they will miz it up to add another element of surprise...

Welker83 said:
Most likely they will miz it up to add another element of surprise...

the coaches must think this guy is more likely to make the team and help win, or they wouldn't have made the trade.

I was figuring that Johnson getting cut was likely, so I am not alarmed he was traded.

Is there a possiblity that the Patriots trade O'Sullivan again for another player?

Half of the reason that Bethel didn't see much playing time was because he was spending most of his time in BB's proverbial doghouse, often for maturity issues.

Regardless of Sullivan's innate talent, and the fact that we did have the need for a backup defensive tackle, how much playing time can an extremely immature DT who was coached in all the wrong ways about discipline in New Orleans (remember Albert Connell?) expect to see in New England?

That's the part I'm wrestling with. As for the "his-former-college-teammate-will-bring-this-former-first-rounder-into-form" theory, I'd like to cite the David Terrell experiment as at least an example of how that does not necessarily apply.

I didn't like this trade when it was announced, but I'm quickly turning around on it. Bethel may emerge as a good player, but Sullivan has all the talent in the world but lacks motivation. Fortunately for us we have the best coach in the NFL at motivation. Let's home some of that Foxboro magic dust turns Sully into a best next year to give us ridiculous depth on the DL.

I like the trade, but I kind of wish we had retained Tim Dwight.
I actually thought a healthy Bethel was in the mix to be our punt returner.

How can anyone not like this trade? There was a very good chance that Bethel was not going to make the team this year. BB has had to spend way too much time babysitting this guy and his production the past two years has been nominal.

Sullivan was a #6 pick three years ago. The Pats had lusted after him and had to "settle" for Ty Warren. Put him in the correct situation (no Hasletts within 100 miles) and he could be very scary. I hope the Pats go to a 4-3 (we're rich at DL and have a ton of Safeties for ST's - we can now go a little spare at LB).

The question is "What do we miss without Bethel?" Nothing but Potential. I'll hold my nose and quote the Tuna - - "The definition of 'Potential' is 'Haven't done a damm thing yet'".

GoWhalers said:
That's the part I'm wrestling with. As for the "his-former-college-teammate-will-bring-this-former-first-rounder-into-form" theory, I'd like to cite the David Terrell experiment as at least an example of how that does not necessarily apply.

I think it's different because Seymour and Sullivan will be playing (basically) the same position and utilizing the exact same skill-set.

As I posted elsewhere

One thing this gets us is the ability to coin a new 5-2 defensive scheme, against run-happy teams with crappy QBs. I'm thinking Baltimore, San Diego, Cleveland...

Warren - Sullivan - Wilfork - Seymour - Green
Bruschi - Vrabel

That's four 1st rounders on the defensive line.

Fill the box with 2-gapper 300# giants, to take on the five OL man-to man across the line, and see if any RB can run through that. Line up on first down in this formation, and force Philip Rivers or Kyle Boller to put some air under that ball. Our DBs will pick them apart.

Then, on the very next down, we can completely switch back into our base 3-4:

Warren - Wilfork - Seymour
Vrabel - Bruschi - Beisel - Colvin

Good god. How psyched am I about this trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes