PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do you guys do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Throughout Belichick's tenure in New England, almost every year, you guys would go through injuries, even a few significant ones here and there.

How does this team continue to rally around and play gangbusters at almost a consistent basis? Even Cassell was making plays.

While I was watching the game last night, most of us on the CMB(including myself) were saying, "A wounded animal Pats team are making plays...why can't we??".

Throughout Belichick's tenure in New England, almost every year, you guys would go through injuries, even a few significant ones here and there.

How does this team continue to rally around and play gangbusters at almost a consistent basis? Even Cassell was making plays.

While I was watching the game last night, most of us on the CMB(including myself) were saying, "A wounded animal Pats team are making plays...why can't we??".

Coaching. I honestly think that's the bottom line.

Personal accountability. Everybody does their job, if the guy ahead of you goes down, you must step up and produce. I know its easy to say, but they actually do it...for the most part.

Steroids. Lots and lots of steroids.

Coaching and smart players who know their roles and are willing to do them even if it means sacrificing personal glory.

Watch any one of our America's Game broadcasts and you'll see why. :D

Because each and every player and coach knows they will get slayed by some of the geniuses that populate this messageboard.

Fear PatsFans ;)

its happened so many times that the players are used to it (the vets)

and seeing how the vets react to it so calmly, the rooks follow suit...

and w/ BB the mentality is always there taht no one player is greater then the team as a whole....and he gets the players to believe it somehow....

I think a lot goes into this.

some mentioned already...Smart coaches and players.....do your job attitude which means your role and responsibilty and not trying to cover up for another injured players role (let the back up do it).

But also I think we get so many injuries because BB perfers healthy players and may IR someone quicker than other teams. SO while we may get more injuries we also are playing with healthier players because those hurt dont play as hurt as other teams may allow.

And lastly and this goes to our success too but we draft and aquire talent with an eye towards the whole roster and not just the stars which gives us more talent top to bottom which comes in key when injuries hit.

I give a lot of credit to our players actually, the Bruschis, Harrisons, etc. They have a lot of pride.

But knowing you're a Cowboys fan, I would say: coaching.

Jerry has NEVER hired a coach that's worth his salt. Jimmy Johnson was great, but a hard worker and strategist he wasn't. Barry Switzer, enough said. Campo. Gailey. Ugh. Parcells was long in the tooth and the team didn't take to his bluster, and he's up and down anyway. Wade Phillips is kind of a joke, if you ask me.

My God, what is Jerry Jones doing?

Once you guys get a real coach, the team will have a lot more direction. Wade goes from jumping up and down like the Simpson's Ralphie over an opponent's missed field goal to having a conniption if one of his player's drop a pass. How does that translate mentally for his players?

Last edited:
This team really buys into the coach and the team philosophy. I really was not sure they could turn it around after getting embarassed by the Chargers but they really got it done on Monday Night. Just listen to the interviews of Seymour and Randy Moss after the game and you could see that they were all on the same page and they BELIEVED. Believing in themselves and their coach when nobody else does, I'd say thats one of the greatest strengths of the Pats team.

My God, what is Jerry Jones doing?

He knows exactly what he is doing. Hiring a coach like BB would mean giving up control, and he doesn't want that.

Versatility, preparation, and BB's favorite-situational football :)

Versatility, preparation, and BB's favorite-situational football :)

Heh.

I'll also add accountability to that mix. Belichick expects them to do their jobs--no more, no less. [Obviously, if they exceed expectations, great--but not if they make careless gambles.] On the flip side, he holds himself just as accountable, and is willing to say that (see Holley's Patriot Reign, and his discussion of how he felt the Pats could have won their regular-season game against the Rams, and took responsibility on himself and the game planning for the loss).

Coaching. I honestly think that's the bottom line.

agreed...AND somehow a culture needs to be formed with a common commitment. A core group of players needs to enforce this culture. You need to walk the walk.

Egos. Jerry loves his talent. Tuna butted heads with it and him. Bill has a less confrontational approach than his mentor. But at the end of the day it's about no one player trumping team. He treats them all alike. Moss noticed that early on. Brady gets torn a new one for the few mistakes he makes, Bill never blows smoke up their asses to assuage bruised egos, but he also never throws them under the media bus. And coaching wise they have learned to accept that while you need a certain level of talent, even talent needs to be put in a position to win. Preparation, scheme, respect, accountability, discipline. When things go wrong in Dallas, Jerry cans a coach. Or signs a talented turd. Or publicly critiques the overall approach. But as with the PacMan signing, he never says my bad. Bill always spreads the blame across the board including to the coaches and decisionmakers in the FO (which is essentially saying my bad). The broadcast crew touched on it a little last night. All Bill cares about is winning. The rest is just BS. His teams adopt that same approach. Sucks for the media and some fans, but it works for his team and that's all he cares about.

Last edited:
Although the Pats are right now about 8M below the cap (I believe), they historically spend right up to the cap. Now, they've been charged with being "cheap" (whatever the hell that means) by refusing to pay top dollar to some of their players who have left via free agency. I have heard Pat Kirwin on Sirius Radio say more than once that the Pats pay their back-ups considerably more than most other teams. According to Kirwin, they spread their money around more than others. Thus, his theory is that their back-ups tend to be higher quality when compared with other teams. One example he uses is the Colts, who evidently have a majority of their money going to a minority of star players and pay most of their back-ups the minimum. Kirwin claims that when their starters get hurt, the quality of replacements is reflective of that payroll philosophy. Anyway, an interesting perspective.

I think the answer here is easily our coach. If the sky is falling, he never ever lets on that's he's ruffled, or that he expects anything less of his team. And they trust in him and believe him.

And so do we.

Video Tape. Haven't you heard? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back