PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do you feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll tell you how I feel...

I am extremely disappointed in this coaching staff, specifically Josh McDaniels. I know hindsight is 20/20, but...

The Patriots came out throwing the ball all over the field. If I'm not mistaken, the first 8 plays were passes. This irked me even as it was happening, before the injury. Keep in mind...

1) You have an already gimpy QB who has missed the entire preseason...

2) Your #1 slot receiver is getting over a rib injury (suffered while fielding a punt in August) and has also missed most of the preseason...

3) The offensive line has been spotty and also hit with injuries...

4) You have, at your disposal, THREE running backs who have been starters in this league (Jordan, Maroney, Morris).

Seriously, could the offense have maybe eased into their Greatest Show on Turf impression? Anybody ever consider running the ball on first down? Maybe give the OL some confidence by having them drive block once or twice? Some play action?

This may be irrational, but I'm actually furious with McDaniels. Stop trying to pad your resume by showing the league how high-powered your offense is. I really hope someone raised the issue of playcalling during postgame. I don't care how much it pisses BB off. He, or someone, should have to address the play-calling at the beginning off the game. He won't, of course, but he should.

Anyone feel the same way? Or is this simply rage displacement?

Last edited:
I agree man, I was ticked off at McDaniels. The way the Pats came out throwing, they were playing as if they were down 20 points. I thought this game they were going to ease Brady into the flow and have him throw just 15 passes all game and let Maroney, Morris and Jordan eat away at the anemic Chiefs. I think Brady had 10 passes all in the 1st quarter, that's ridiculous. I was very nervous every time Brady was dropping back because of how bad or OL looked. And now, our SB hopes are toast in the blink of an eye.

disbelief, horror, denial. In that order about 20 times since the hit. Im back in Denial stage now, but closing in on slight depression.

Or is this simply rage displacement?

Yep, it is. I know fans love to blame the OC for everything, but blaming him for Brady's injury is going way, way too far.

Here's the drive on which Brady was injured:

- Maroney run RG
- Maroney run RT
- Brady pass short right to Moss
- Maroney run RG
- Brady pass short right INC
- Evans run up the middle
- Brady pass deep right to Moss

The injury wasn't caused by tipping the play, or coverage breakdowns, or taking unnecessary chances. It was a defender who'd been taken down to the turf crawling out to take a swipe at the QB's knee. It happens; don't take it out on the coaches.

I've mentioned this before in a previous thread, but I feel a lot better than I would have had this happened last year. The loss in the Superbowl really forced me to sit down and do a lot of soul searching and I realized I was getting way too in to this game. I still love football, but I understand now it's not the be all and end all. I'm sad to see Tom go down, after the Superbowl loss I really wanted to see the team redeem themselves, and get Randy and Wes a ring. But I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by Cassel, and if not, oh well. There's always next year.

Now if I could only control my emotions when it comes to Politics. ;)

I've mentioned this before in a previous thread, but I feel a lot better than I would have had this happened last year. The loss in the Superbowl really forced me to sit down and do a lot of soul searching and I realized I was getting way too in to this game. I still love football, but I understand now it's not the be all and end all. I'm sad to see Tom go down, after the Superbowl loss I really wanted to see the team redeem themselves, and get Randy and Wes a ring. But I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by Cassel, and if not, oh well. There's always next year.

Now if I could only control my emotions when it comes to Politics. ;)

I think you are right, I am too involved as well, I cried my self to sleep this am, and when I see the replay, I burst into tears again.... (I am not a crier, usually)
My family has threatened an intervention already this season because of my addiction.....
I retired this spring, young (45) and was able to go to training camp and preseason games and really feed my Patriot obsection into a full blown addition!
I feel like I did they day they shot President Reagan.
A national Hero is down.... oh God

Yep, it is. I know fans love to blame the OC for everything, but blaming him for Brady's injury is going way, way too far.

Here's the drive on which Brady was injured:

- Maroney run RG
- Maroney run RT
- Brady pass short right to Moss
- Maroney run RG
- Brady pass short right INC
- Evans run up the middle
- Brady pass deep right to Moss

The injury wasn't caused by tipping the play, or coverage breakdowns, or taking unnecessary chances. It was a defender who'd been taken down to the turf crawling out to take a swipe at the QB's knee. It happens; don't take it out on the coaches.

This brilliance needs to be quoted again and again.

I was wondering when the coaches were going to be blamed for this. Having seen the hit, I did not think it was possible, but then, I know what the game day threads are like. People just feel angry and helpless and start doling out the blame to whoever they can, despite the fact that they know nothing about the inner workings of the team and what Brady's injuries were like before the hit.

I'm tired of rooting for a team who blows people away 75-0 and feeling like it's a loss if they don't.

I'm sorry but this line of reasoning really makes no sense to me. I can't understand why someone wouldn't be happy to see players on their favorite franchise performing with such refinement that their opponent is literally outclassed entirely. Who was it that you knew that wasn't happy watching the Patriots win games last year, whether it was by a lot (Redskins) or by the narrowest of margins (Ravens, NYG)?

As for the OP question... I was listening to it in the car and when Gil announced that Brady was down and holding his knee, it took a lot to make sure I stayed in my lane, so I didn't really feel anything... instant denial, perhaps.

If this were a Madden 08 season, how many of us would've just pressed reset after that happened? That 1st quarter followed the script as to what I would've written under the title: "The worst possible thing that could happen in the 1st quarter of the game against the Chiefs."

I'm still sick to my stomach to be honest. this kills me more than any game the pats have ever lost. i still cant believe it. i guess i know how i will feel when BB retires or leaves. i envy those that are trying to be optimistic. I'm just not ready to go there.

I'm bummed that Brady's hurt. I'm a little bummed that the Pats lost their best player but then I remember that it's just football. I'm also excited to see how the team and the staff respond to the challenge.

That 1st quarter followed the script as to what I would've written under the title: "The worst possible thing that could happen in the 1st quarter of the game against the Chiefs."

My husband took the kids out to lunch so I could watch the start of the game in peace. When they returned in the 2nd quarter, he asked how the game was going. I said, "Well, what's the single worst thing that could happen in the 1st quarter of the 1st game of the year?" and he instantly said "Oh no, Brady's hurt?"

I'll tell you how I feel...

I am extremely disappointed in this coaching staff, specifically Josh McDaniels. I know hindsight is 20/20, but...

The Patriots came out throwing the ball all over the field. If I'm not mistaken, the first 8 plays were passes. This irked me even as it was happening, before the injury. Keep in mind...

1) You have an already gimpy QB who has missed the entire preseason...

2) Your #1 slot receiver is getting over a rib injury (suffered while fielding a punt in August) and has also missed most of the preseason...

3) The offensive line has been spotty and also hit with injuries...

4) You have, at your disposal, THREE running backs who have been starters in this league (Jordan, Maroney, Morris).

Seriously, could the offense have maybe eased into their Greatest Show on Turf impression? Anybody ever consider running the ball on first down? Maybe give the OL some confidence by having them drive block once or twice? Some play action?

This may be irrational, but I'm actually furious with McDaniels. Stop trying to pad your resume by showing the league how high-powered your offense is. I really hope someone raised the issue of playcalling during postgame. I don't care how much it pisses BB off. He, or someone, should have to address the play-calling at the beginning off the game. He won't, of course, but he should.

Anyone feel the same way? Or is this simply rage displacement?

Don't blame the coaches. They came out ready to show everyone they are the same formidable force they were last year, and they should have. Psychology goes a long way in this league. We want to win, remember? They were looking great (except for some uncharacteristic fumbles - but we expected a little rust, did we not? Don't we need to get rid of that?) until that awful moment when an opposing player who was already down somehow rolled just the wrong way. Was it intentional? Was it dirty? Does it matter? It's not anyone's fault, particularly McDaniels. He was calling a good game and continued to do so after his best player went down.

I feel really sad for Brady and what he's up against and hopeful that the rest of the team will pull together and make this a good season.

I felt sick to my stomache. I'm stuck in this podunk town unconnected from the rest of the world until the end of the month. It was the first pats game I have missed in 4 years and it's (of course) the one Brady gets hurt. If the worst is true I will feel robbed of seeing the best QB of all time play live. The patriots hardly ever come out west and I have tickets to both SF and SEA. Here is hoping for the best! Cheers and beers Tom Brady!

Come on guys this team is loaded a hell of a lot better than "01" we got this. Nut up all the bellyaching isn't changing anything

Well it's more of a retroactive reaction here. By the time I tuned into the game, Cassell was in, and I was like, why isn't Brady under center? So I didn't get to see the 'super slo mo' of the dirty hit on Brady until ESPN after the game. I still find it hard to believe that the team's best player went down. Brady has been so DURABLE over the years, that its hard to imagine this team without him.

I'm going to hold out hope that Brady might be back for the playoffs or the second half of the season... well until the official pronouncement and MRI results. Funny I was watching House last night, and maybe Brady needs that whacky doctor to solve what ails him.

When I saw him on the ground in pain my mouth just dropped for about 30 seconds. Then it went into disbelief, trying to convince myself he'll be back out and then by about the 30th replay that they showed of it, I was convinced he wasn't coming back.

I will never take for granted another snap that he's out there on the field.

I feel bad that the team went from a potential favorite to just another team scraping by and hoping for a playoff spot.

But ultimately, I'm ok. Three championships have built up a cushion. Sports is a tough gig. That's the bottom line. Injuries, bad calls, bad weather, the other team makes a big play -- whatever. I root for the laundry, and it will be interesting to see how the laundry does this year. It could turn out to be a fun year. It's certainly interesting to go from last year's off-the-charts expectations to relatively low expectations in such a short period of time. The mosiac that makes up one's sports rooting interests over time has many oddly shaped pieces.

Tom Brady is without question the best player my favorite team has ever had. But I loved them before he got here and will continue to after he goes. Looks like less production from the QB spot this year than we'd hoped for. Coach 'em up BB and let's see how it goes.

Felt like I took a shot to the gut. I couldn't watch the rest of the 1st half, I put the game on the radio in the garage and did some cleaning. Everytime I'd hear the crowd roar I expected them to say TB was jogging through the tunnel.

I did go back in to watch the second half. I should have more faith in Cassel, he didn't do bad. It's just a lot of question marks. The running game should be able to pick up some slack (welcome back Sammy!) and who knows, maybe with some more time with Randy and Wes they can develop some chemistry.

I'm just too pessimistic to anticipate the injury being a 4-6 weeker. After that first series the game was a blur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes