PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do you feel about this team going into the start of the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offense should be in the top 3.

Defense. While i share the concern of most and agree it is hard to be
optimistic about this D, I feel they may surprise us sooner that
what might be expected. If they can stay healthy. That's a big IF.
Here are some things that give me some reason to be optimistic.

Ninkovich - If he stays healthy, gut say he will improve greatly with more experience.

Butler - this is a second year player - who is about to improve like Samuel did. IMO. Remember Samuel? I feel Butler will start to show up like Asante did in his second year under BB. After 6 games Butler will be a worthy
starter. Want a bet?

Chung - keeps improving and will get a lot better with more experience.

Team chemistry - It will get better under fire.

BB - behind it all is the master who has a lot talent to work with. It may take a number of games but he'll teach from the mistakes they will make.
It may be a good thing PATs have a week 4 Bye. Bill will be able to use the extra week to correct any serious problems early in the season.

I feel PATs will lose 3 games in the first 8 then only 1 the rest of the season. 12-4

Really, really excited. No matter how our team looks, anything can happen. I feel like a kid counting down the days to Christmas.

People compare this team with 2001, the weakest talent to ever win a Super Bowl. I disagree strongly. If Mankins were re-signed and Kaczur comes back sometime this year, I would think we would have as good an offense as 2007, with perhaps weaker stats.

I am optimistic. We had a top 5 offense last year. It is improved this year, even with the loss of Mankins and Kaczur's injury. It is better equipped to seal the deal and carry the defense more than last year.

The defense may not be as good as the team that allowed the 5th fewest points in the league last year. It could be below average, but likely won't be because the offense will keep them off the field or have them playing with a lead.

We should get better as the season progresses. We have a very young defense. I wouldn't be at all suprised to see us 2-2 or even 1-3 at the break and still easily win the division.

My BOTTOM LINE is that I expect 9 or 10 wins and division win. We have a tough schedule, but so does the rest of the division.

a little bit nervous hoping, of course, for the best

finally next sunday it will start, Go Pats !

I think this season will be much like 2008 was for the NFL. I don't think there is a dominant team, every "elite" team has major question marks.

This offense will be among the lead leaders and with the retooled TE position we shouldn't get bogged down inside the redzone this season. That IMO, was the biggest problem for the team last season.

The defense has question marks but that is only do to inexperience. As long as the offense does what it should do (score around 30ppg) the defenses life will be much easier, and I think it might just help out that pesky pass rush. If our offense is putting pressure on the other team to score on every drive then the other team is more likely to take chances giving our defense opportunities for turnovers (see the Saints from last season). Or if we get out to leads early, it will allow our defense to pin its ears back and go after the QB.

I think this is a 12 win team +/- a game. I don't think the schedule will be as hard as most think it will be. Our division won't be as good as many people think. The fans are already grumbling for Pennington down in Miami, the Jets offense just might be the worst in the NFL and the Bills...well.

Last edited:
Holley et al, have been claiming all week that any team with Manning, Brady or Brees is off the bat good for about 8 wins... this year we have increased our offensive arsenal quite a bit... Brady is a year removed from knee surgery.. and our TE situation is nice.

The D is a question and young, but have to wait and see here... they have more depth at MLB(Mayo is healthy) and Safety.. the D-line is less impressive and has some unknowns, and the OLB sitz is about the same.. the corners are untested... at least all seem to want to play here.. we will see.

It seems as though our ST's have improved.. and with another year of Scott O'Brien coaching, they could be much improved.

I see between 11 and 13 wins for this team.. keep on believing.

Injuries and defense worry me a lot, particularly the definsive line and the question mark in the secondary... Oh yeah and the pass rush.

I am anxious with all the unknowns especially young players, but I much rather feel like this then expecting to win every game. It makes every win that much sweeter.

I see a potent offense and a defense with some big question marks in it. If some of those question marks are erased throughout the season, we could end up like the 2009 Saints: potent offense to carry us through the season, defense just good enough to make plays when it counts. If those question marks remain, we could end up like the 2004 Colts: potent offense to carry us through the season, defense that can't get it done and helps keep our potent offense off the field.

It depends...

This. Kontra, you have a gift for saying what I usually think, only more quickly and with better organization. Nice!

Also, I'm excited to see the D rookies and younguns develop, as well as seeing Brady with more actual weapons.

I think especially early in the season this defense is going to get exposed,plummeted and destroyed as young players fresh out of college try and stop veteran QBs,WRs,RBs and OLs - it could be ugly and a lot of Pats fans may jump ship for awhile

The team will win its share of the first 8 games by outscoring opponents...our wins in the first half of the season will probably have to be over 30 points because I see this young defense stopping no one early.

Now later in the season maybe the youngsters on defense get a hang of it and adjust,Maybe not,we shall see

As far as the offense goes I see a team with a lot of potential but must NOT and I mean MUST NOT screw up in the red zone,most red zone trips MUST be TDs and Maroney must show something to somehow change our minds a bit of him being the biggest waste of a 1st round pick in the BB era.

Consider the first half of the season at 5-3 or 4-4 as a good record and an expected one

Last edited:
I'm intrigued by this team.

There has been a lot of criticism aimed at BB for the 2006-2008 drafts, and a lot of young players that have an opportunity to silence those critics, or reinforce their argument. I'm hoping, and expecting, the former.

I'm also a little anxious and fearful of any potential injuries that might come up.

Excited, nervous, and jittery, but that's how I am everytime the Pats take the field to play their opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes