PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do you feel about the latest draft format?

I hate the 3 day format, with day 1 for the first round only. I liked last year's format much better.

I think it's utterly ridiculous. There's not much difference between the last 8-10 picks of the 1st round and the 32 picks of the second round, especially in terms of talent.

Last year's format of Rounds 1 & 2 on Saturday and Rounds 3-7 on Sunday worked perfectly. From a strategical point of view the first two rounds should contain all of the blue and red chip players. Most teams only have two picks in these two rounds and use these to draft for need. Rounds 3-7 can then be used for value (where your scouts rate a player materially higher than most other teams' scouts, so from your point of view the player is dropping), for depth and for prospects with high upside (e.g. Julian Edelman).

I'm with you guys in hoping that the 3 day event starting Thursday night is a fad that doesn't make it to 2011. NFL seems to be getting just plain greedy. The article states that they drew 23 million viewers over 2009's 2 day event on ESPN and NFLN... they have somehow convinced themselves that there are more draft junkies out there who will skip watching Grey's Anatomy or The Office to see the 1st round. I think all they've done is just make the 1st round a bigger p.i.t.a. for those who would've watched it anyways.

Given Belichick's draft strategy, I am actually glad that the 2nd and 3rd rounds are being given more priority. The 3rd should have much more quality than the later rounds, even if Belichick hasn't taken advantage of that.

I do understand making a media circus of Round One and putting it prime time.

In the end, I think the patriots will have lots of time for trade talk between Round 1 and Round 2.

I think it sucks....another one of goodell's ideas that I really hate...

My friends and I, for years, have had a weekend celebration where we grill out and watch the draft while drinking beers all day....now since they all live a couple hours away and have work, we will be unable to continue our festivities until the later rounds on Saturday:mad:

I hate the 3 day format, with day 1 for the first round only. I liked last year's format much better.

Agreed!! Last years was much better, now after all this time im used to it, hope I dont miss out on anything 'cause of worK

I hate the three day format, but I do think it will create huge opportunities for more trades.

Given Belichick's draft strategy, I am actually glad that the 2nd and 3rd rounds are being given more priority. The 3rd should have much more quality than the later rounds, even if Belichick hasn't taken advantage of that.

What draft strategy is that? I'm not aware that he has one clear cut strategy.

Also, we don't have any 3rd round picks at the moment.

The most interesting thing is that it gives extra value to the top picks at the second round.

:)

We are likely to have a third by Saturday. BTW, please list the teams that have traded down (and even all the way into the next season) more than the patriots since Belichick has been here.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back