PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do you feel about the Cassel/Vrabel trade right now?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How do you feel about the Cassel/Vrabel trade right now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to go with op #5 because over the years every time i think we've been optioned 1 in the BB era i'm wrong. In BB I trust, something more will happen.

'Zactly. Anyone who thinks BB is done with move-making just doesn't get it:cool: JMHO but I can't wait to see how this all plays out; I've got a feeling we'll see something big:D

Flip back the history pages and you'll find that BB's headscratchers have resulted in some of our best moves. I'm psyched:rocker:

First rounders seem to have decreased in desirability the last year or 2; they're outrageously pricey and come with some risk as well.

BB will know how to use this pick, I can't think of a reason to believe otherwise.

EDIT: It's still sad Vrabes is gone :( Great memories, great Patriot.

Last edited:
Re: How do you feel about the Cassel/Vrable trade right now?

The Pats first mistake was doing business with Pioli. He's not a moron. I'm happy that the Pats relieved themselves of the 14+ million in cap but I'm more disappointed that teams like Tampa Bay didn't step up and offer their first round pick for Cassel. Statistically, Cassel was top ten in every category. For those teams that didn't step up, I hope Cassel makes them pay for it. I will be watching Cassel and the Chiefs very closely this season and root for Cassel to prove those dumb GM's wrong. How can WR Roy Williams be worth a 1st, 3rd, 6th and a future 7th round pick but Cassel is only traded for a 2nd? If only the Cowboys didn't have a starting QB.

And I voted for option 3.

Just remember, those picks were for the following draft season, not the present. So they were discounted and closer to the equivalent of a (presumed to be if the Cowboys weren't so dysfunctional) late round 2nd, 4th, 7th and an UDFA.

#34 in the upcoming draft will impact the Patriots immediately (as will having $19M in cap space) and with the additional ammo we have based on 3 2nds and several day 2 picks we can easily maneuver that pick into another first or acquire a first in 2010 when we may be hamsstrung by our own success due to uncapped FA restrictions.

Apparently two teams were only offering a mid range 1st for Cutler, and he came already signed to a bargain basement $6-7M even with incentives reached deal that still has 3 years remaining on it. Apples and oranges. Personally I think Cassel has greater upside since crybaby Jay wants a new deal too and his agent probably engineered the 11th hour offers because contract talks with Denver were stalled and type 1 diabetes takes a toll let alone when your employed by an NFL team playing at altitude outdoors in the rockies facing AFC competitors. But that mediots and Madden fans didn't get that comes as no surprise.

i went for option number 5

I was out and Felger was on WEEI. This is what he said.

1. The Patriots were going to cut Vrabel anyway. He had a choice of becoming a FA or taking the KC trade. He opted for the KC trade.

2. The Patriots talked to Tampa about Cassel at mid week and they were not offering a 1st rounder (#19). It was only after they heard about the the KC deal that they made that offer but it was too late then.

I was out and Felger was on WEEI. This is what he said.

1. The Patriots were going to cut Vrabel anyway. He had a choice of becoming a FA or taking the KC trade. He opted for the KC trade.

2. The Patriots talked to Tampa about Cassel at mid week and they were not offering a 1st rounder (#19). It was only after they heard about the the KC deal that they made that offer but it was too late then.

Interesting and pretty much confirms what many people here thought. What I would have done differently (and I am no BB) would have been to leak the info about the trade then wait a day or two to see if any other offers came along. Could backfire of course, KC could pull their offer but it sounds like teams were willing to step up their offers (maybe) after they found out the KC deal was imminent.

So far the votes are with BB. Who said this was a homer board?:confused2:

Also lets look at in context because until the season starts and we can see what we were able to do in FA and extending our guys like Wilfork , Mankins, Ghost , possibly Hobbs etc.. and having these draft pics w/ the ammunition to land Peppers..

Award Recipient.

4 first day picks.

Mucho Cap room.

Being honest.... It feels like we just took it in the cornhole.

Hopefully this feeling is wrong.

I'm not really sure what Option #5 means, but I assumed it was something like "in BB we trust" and voted for it anyway.

Last edited:
The best way to look at this in total.

Our organization drafted a dude in the 7th round who never played in college. Within the space of one year turned those four years into a high second round draft pick.

Genius

Happy we got a second round pick,which is what I expected for Cassel, not this blockbuster deal.. But Vrabel still baffels me, he should have at least brought a fifth.But happy with what we got, we need to upgrade the d, and find another WR ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back