PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do you define a 'successful' season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is a successful Pats season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Given all the griping, I figure it's time people actually came out and said where they stand.

[Note: this is a public poll, so people will be able to see what you say.]

In my book, making the playoffs is a successful season. Anything beyond that is gravy. [I'm not saying I'm not disappointed when the Pats don't win the SB, just that I don't think it's our God-given right as Pats fans to expect them to pull it off every year.]

a season where you show up and defend your home turf... If you cant win at home against a mediorce opponet. Then you might as well be mediorce yourself..

This is getting thick.

Next weekend can't come soon enough.

:eat1: :eat2: :eat3:

Its getting to the point where you exspect the patriots to turn the ball over or make a bone head penalty.Am i the only one?

pats1 said:
This is getting thick.

Next weekend can't come soon enough.

:eat1: :eat2: :eat3:
I agree. Jesus people a loss is a loss. We're a good team but we're not The New England Supermen.

Didnt see the game but i have it recorded and cant wait to go back and see what exactly happened.

Kind of a stupid poll IMO - Of course the ONLY successful season in ANY sport is one that ends with your team WINNING its last game. .In this instance it is of course the Super Bowl..Our team is the Patriots,The Patriots players always say anything but winning the super bowl is a lost season and that is the way a fan should think...Unless you are a fan or player of the Arizona Cardinals where an 8-8 record would be considered successful:D
Anything but the top prize is like taking a date to the prom...then taking her out to a nice expensive dinner,dropping her off at her doorstep and getting a handshake...Thats what not winning a Super Bowl is like:)

I voted for making the playoffs. That's what I see out of this group right now, they're a playoff team.

At this point this squad does NOT have the look of a SB team so from a strictly pragmatic point of view, IMO it's foolish to vote for that option right now.

I'm not into blind faith, which is what drives people to say this team will win a SB at this stage of the season. There's no real evidence as of Nov. 13, 2006 to suggest that. I'm into where we are now and where we go from here, AKA reality.

Last edited:
Wow you guys are taking this one tough. I don't think you need to worry, you guys will be there in the end.

Oh yeah, by the way, I have had problems accessing pats fans lately. Is that just me or are a lot of you guys having troubles with that as well.

As for the topic, I think a division title and a playoff win is a successful season. If you fail to win your division, get to the conference Championship game.

Last edited:
Well, unfortunatley, the height of the bar has been set by 3 Super Bowls and anything less is not considered a successful season here. In New York, even though the Yankees have won the division what, 6 straight years, Yankee fans consider it a lost season if they don't get to the World Series. And I subscribe to that theory concerning the Pats. So what if they win the AFC East and a playoff game? That's success? Not in my book. And I doubt it is in Brady or Belichick's book either. If they don't win the SB this year (and based on what we've seen in the first 9 games, they won't) I think they're going to have to make some hard decisions, bite the bullet on some players (Rodney, Tedi and some others), and start to re-tool. For starters they've GOT to start finding some young fast linebackers and DB's. It looks like anybody can throw on this team with their atrocious, patchwork secondary and the linebackers aren't plugging the gaps and making the stops when the RB's get past the front 3. It says a lot when your most effective LB is a 37 year old former retiree.
I'll admit I had high hopes for this team because I thought they would be enough of an offensive machine that it would overcome the defensive deficiencies that we could all see. But now we find out that Tom Brady is human and having an off year for whatever reason, Maroney may have hit the rookie wall, Dillon is still a hammer but a much slower one and the "plug and play" O-line is not so much anymore given the amount of time Brady has spent on his back this year or forced into rushed throws. Based on their last 2performances, I'm not even confident that they'll win the division now. A game against Chicago, a trip to Miami where TB never plays real well and a trip to Jacksonville are all coming up. Can you see a 10-6 season? I can and the Jets are now only a game behind and playing better every week. Who knows.
Now before all the villagers grab their pitchforks and torches and starting heading toward my house screaming "heretic" and "burn the non-believer" just stop, take a deep breath and relax. Chances are that we'll still win the division and maybe even a playoff game. It's just my opinion that based on what we've seen so far this year, the odds are approaching even money that we won't. And to me, that's not a successful season.

Not sure you can gauge success like that by how far a team goes... MANY see anything less than a Lombardi as NOT successful..but I think there are other dynamics involved..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back