Welcome to PatsFans.com

How do we stop the wealthy from getting wealthier?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Jul 13, 2011.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -9

I see some here claiming "let's stop the bs...raise taxes on the wealthiest Americans"...and I'm actually all for that.

But....

How does raising taxes on the wealthiest Americans stop them from getting wealthier?

Then I read that we have to raise these taxes on the wealthiest in order to preserve our middle class.

Can anyone tell me how does raising taxes on the wealthy preserve (provide good paying jobs) our middle class?

I'd absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to read any and all idea on how Americans can stop our wealthy from getting wealthier.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I don't think anyone cares if the wealthy get wealthier. I think we simply face a practical problem: Out debt has gotten out of hand and we need to address. The people who have the assets to address it are the wealthy, so we must turn to them. We can justify turning to them in a number of ways, including the fact that they are the largest beneficiaries of our tax dollars through their investments. Imagine, for instance, if the foodstamp program went away, how much individual millionaires and billionaires who invest in agriculture would lose. In my opinion, if we raise taxes on the wealthy, and in turn strengthen our economy, the wealthy will see market gains that cover their tax increase or better. The middle class obviously benefit if the government (or the wealthy) invest in the economy.
  3. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 5 / -8

You're the only one who is articulating the goal as stopping the wealthy from getting wealthier.

Those calling for returning the tax rates of the wealthy to pre-W levels -- say, to the levels under Ronald Reagan -- are not doing so because they are simply up in arms about how rich the rich are.

They are saying that if rich guy's pace of enrichment is marginally affected, in order to increase revenues in a time of their country's need, that's fine.

I don't know who fed you the commie flakes this morning, PR, but nobody is chanting "first against the wall come the revolution." Rather, those intending to get rid of aberrantly low tax rates on the very rich are trying to solve actual policy problems - policy problems introduced in large part by bad tax policy in the first place.

PFnV
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

You're trained in logic and critical thinking, right?
    Then why do you pose such a transparently loaded question?

No one wants to prevent the wealthy from getting wealthier unless they are doing so by ripping people off. By people I also mean those who get wealthy by feeding at the People's trough.

I don't want the government to get one cent more until they stop the corporate "War against Terrorism" and all foreign military bases are closed. The troops on those bases can be put to work defending the ports and borders, disaster relief, and helping old ladies cross the street. It wil;l be cheaper to house them here at home until we're under threat of invasion.

Foreign military aid must also end. We have to, as Reagan once dreamed, turn our economy from an arms-manufacturing, carbon spewing consumer-driven mess into a more sustainable one that doesn't thrive off of the deaths of tens of thousands of innocent people areound the world.

Then we can raise the taxes, but we won't need to.

And the our Chinese friends won't have to tell us, "Could you please put the gun down" anymore.
  5. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 5 / -8

I heard a great encapsulation of a conversation b/w a western journalist and a millionaire in China... he said "I don't want to kill you, I want to sell you things."
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -9

Did you know that if our wealthiest citizens (top 3%) were taxed at 100% of their income, it still wouldn't balance our budget?

So we have to cut spending as well.
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -9

Which one said that?
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -9

I have always been more philosophical than logical....and I plan to remain that way wistah.

I also support cutting military dramatically. I'd also support cutting foreign aid for military purposes...except with regards to Israel. We can't leave that country alone surrounded by barbaric nations that want them "wiped off the face of the earth".

I started this thread because I can't even count the number of times I've read posts that read,

"Meanwhile, the wealthy keep getting wealthier...blah, blah..."

So I thought maybe some here wanted to stop CEO's and the like from getting richer....maybe I was wrong.

I've always wondered if we have "Lyndon Larouche" supporters here on this board. But I doubt many would admit to that.
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -9

I can respect and even agree with your opinion PFiVA, but you don't speak for anyone else, so you don't know what they want or mean.

I've had several discussions in my personal life with people who actually want to cap earnings, so it's not uncommon thinking.

You don't know anymore than I do whether or not any of our members have a similar opinion.
  10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

We probably need to increase corporate taxes (by closing loopholes) and restore the death tax, as well as cut some programs. The basic problem I think we're dealing with is that capitalism, while it is the best system around, doesn't really work very well if your measure of efficacy is near-full employment and a decent standard of living. I have so many clients who are having a hell of a time finding jobs.
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -9

You can't stop it, this is America, this country gives them the FREEDOM to become wealthy.

Only In America:
    Elvis Presley has been dead for over thirty years and he's still making millions.
    The Obama Gang should Tax The Living Sh!t out of all the wealthy they should be paying many of the Bills for the country that allowed them to make their fortunes.

Anybody and everybody who makes $100,000 or under a year shouldn't have to pay one cent in taxes for anything, The Oil Co's, The Banks, The Big CEO's, The Entertainment Whacko's and all the double dipping pig politicians should be paying the bills for this country.
  12. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -9

Harry...you radical leftie librul!

I didn't know you had it in you! If that happened, I'd ask for a slight pay cut to get me in that "pay no taxes bracket" you propose.
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -9

I've read several articles describing employers frustration with potential young employees. Some of the issues refer to lack of writing skills and social skills....the age of the internet and texting is taking it's toll on our young.

Many can't even write in cursive anymore or write a well organized cover letter....think our educational system needs to get back to basics and screw the focus on micor-educating our young based upon individual needs.

We need to educate on a macro-level and if you can't keep up, so be it. We can't let those who can't/won't learn at a fast pace slow down the system.

I feel fortunate I was educated back when this country actually educated.
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -9

I believe I can say that my job is based upon fact-based thinking, but politics is far more philosophical than factual, thus most political discussions are "opinion-based" and not fact-based.

NO GOTCHA FOR YOU!
  16. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Written communication with many of my generation is bad, younger than me, even worse... however Cursive is the most useless skill every learned... Who ever needs to write in cursive other than your signature?

We shouldn't even spend time teaching it anymore, it's worthless... nothing worth writing on paper these days is worth writing it in cursive to give other reading it a head ache trying to read someone's butchers cursive handwriting.
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +313 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

Yeah, I always vote for the guy who can sigh really big and wax philosophical rather than the one who has a grip on reality.
  18. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

so you voted for Obama?
  19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Take a drive to any local community by the water where there are boats, and then tell me how this recession or whatever it is called is effecting the rich folks.. this economic downturn primarily effects lower and middle class people.

There are billions of dollars in any of these harbors.. some privately owned and some corporately owned.
  20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +313 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

I was being sarcastic.

This board really needs to come up with a sarcasm emoticon.