PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do we replace Dillon's TD Production?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my own mind I believe we are fine with (possibly) Mills/Evans/Morris/Faulk/Maroney/Thomas/Watson/Brady(TE)...I believe any of those just listed could catch a little screen/ or smash it in for 6 (depending on position)...

With that said...Morris is probabbly a one year 'Larry Centers' type of signing..to fill a void with reliable hungry veteranship, and Kevin Faulk isnt getting younger... which leads me to believe A) They draft a big powerful back higher than anyone expects this draft ( who would be surprised? Drafting Watson after Graham?, same thing here..IMO) b) There is a player heading into FA next season that the pats will persue to bolster their backfield with a physical change of pace back.:rocker: with that I say Leonard or Hunt?

Leonard or Michael Bush? Is Alstott still playing football?
If we don't draft or sign a short yardage back then I'm thinking we'll just throw the ball into the endzone more. Kelley Washington seems like a good RZ target with his height and jumping ability.

I'm not going to use the word "worried", but is anybody besides me wondering where we are going to replace CD's TD productivity?

A few stats -
  • Corey has had at least 12 rushing TD each of his three years with the Pats. Last year he had 13.
  • Laurence Maroney had 6 last year.
  • Sammy Morris has had only 14 in his 7 year NFL career.
Obviously we expect Maroney to have more carries this year and so his TD productivity would be expected to increase - let's say he goes from 6 to 9. Add in 2 from Morris (his career average) and that's still only 11 - vs. 19 from Dillon and Maroney in 2006.

Where do you think we are going to make that up?

A lot of Dillions TD runs where short yardage. BB is thinking to use Evans in short yardage plays and goal line plays where dillion was most effective. You saw last season that BB went with Evans alot within the 5 yard line, and short yardage plays, and hopes to use Evans that way and for Maroney to hold his own.

If we can use another player to score the exact same number of TDs as Dillon, i think that would do it.

Whoa, now that's some insightful posting!

Actually, I think David Thomas may be the leader in RZ TDs this season.

Last edited:
Hmmm... a lot of different opinions posted here since I started this thread. I think some of you sell Dillon's contributions short. True, he is starting to slow down, but he still averaged 4.1 ypc last year, just 0.2 ypc less than his career average. Yes, a lot of his TD's came on 2 or 3 yard carries, but there were also a few longer ones.

Someone said Sammy Morris has more breakaway speed. Interesting then, that he has had exactly ONE touchdown each of the past two seasons - on 92 carries last year. If he is as good as some say why didn't Saban find a way to get him more carries after Ganga Ricky went north of the border?

Personally, and I hope I'm wrong, but I think Morris replaces Patrick Pass more than he replaces Dillon. I also think those who think we will throw more are forgetting two things - you need to be able to run out the clock to win in this league, and last year our offense was not good enough to get it done in crunch time. Improving the passing game while regressing in the running game is not improvement, it's stasis.

Finally, we certainly saw flashes of brilliance from Maroney, but he tailed off at the end of the year. Yes, I know he was hurt. That's just the point - he hasn't proven he is durable enough to take the pounding of a long NFL season, even when splitting carries with Corey. Why do we think he will be able to get through a whole season with a 2x heavier workload than he had last year? And if he does get hurt, who do we turn to? I don't think Sammy Morris (or Kevin Faulk) is the answer for more than a game or two.

Perhaps we do draft a running back with one of our first round picks, but I too entertained fantasies of re-signing Dillon after he learns the reality of his market to fill a Bettis-like role, although I realize it is a farfetched notion.

I think the majority of this board is vastly underrating Sammy Morris. He doesn't have Cory's natural running skills, but at this stage is much more powerful and explosive. I think he'll be very effective as our short yardage back, and obviously LM will improve in power situations as well. Also, CD got caught on a lot of his breakaway runs this season. Morris will probably not get as many of those, but he'll have a better chance of taking it the distance when he does.

In the salary cap era, you have to be willing to part with vets and expect your cheaper FA's and younger players to step up. I see no reason not to have faith in Maroney not improving from his rookie year, and Morris not maintaining his solid play as he moves to a considerably better team.

Non-issue IMO

wow, im impressed
a rookie i agree with

i def think ppl are underrating morris
ppl are too quickly forgetting how slow corey looked the last two yrs
and how he seemed to turn his back when the contact was coming the last two yrs (two yrs ago more-due to his injury)

Leonard or Michael Bush? Is Alstott still playing football?
If we don't draft or sign a short yardage back then I'm thinking we'll just throw the ball into the endzone more. Kelley Washington seems like a good RZ target with his height and jumping ability.

its kinda funny that we said the same thing about donald hayes
i think this will be completely different
and i honestly think he could be one of the biggest surprises on our team next yr

The Pats will sign a Bettis type RB who gets cut. Go Pats:rocker:

How do we replace Dillon's TD production?

Here's my theory: give the ball to other people.

I really don't see the Patriots drafting a running back in the first 5 rounds. There isn't enough room to keep 5 running backs on the roster and who would get cut? I don't see Faulk getting cut and Evans was just resigned. I think our pounder down at the goal line will be Evans if it turns out that Maroney can't get it done at the goaline. Also, Reiss said he feels that Sammy Morris is an UPGRADE over Corey Dillon, so we'll see.

Last edited:
Not sure why people are so enamoured with Morris. I saw him play extensively while in Buffalo and I think it's very possible he doesn't even make this team. If Mills progresses as expected and Evans comes ready to play I think Morris gets cut.

I think you are looking at it wrong, if I understand the point you are trying to make.
It seems you are equating rushing TDs to scoring, and implying Dillon scored points all by himself.
How many of Dillons TD runs, esp in 06 were 1 or 2 yards. (Or inside the 5 almost untouched?)
If Dillon were not on the field, Maroney would have been, and he would have scored those TDs. (I don't remember any TDs by Dillon that were incredible and no one else could have scored)
By the same token, we can also pass for TDs.

TD stats often go to whoever puches it in from short yardage. Without that guy, you were still down there, and most of the time whoever else you put in there would have scored.
Its getting there that is the key, and a 23 yr old Maroney makes us a better team than a 32 yr old Dillon.

Not sure why people are so enamoured with Morris. I saw him play extensively while in Buffalo and I think it's very possible he doesn't even make this team. If Mills progresses as expected and Evans comes ready to play I think Morris gets cut.

Mills is a TE/FB. Morris is a RB.
Morris is an excellent special teams player, which is important becuase his role will be very light on offense unless Maroney is out.

There is no way Morris isnt making the team.

Mills is a TE/FB. Morris is a RB.
Morris is an excellent special teams player, which is important becuase his role will be very light on offense unless Maroney is out.

There is no way Morris isnt making the team.
From the extensive play I have seen of Morris while at Buffalo ST's will likely be the only way he makes this team as a contributor ..... which is possible I suppose. But I don't think I'd go as far as you and say he's a lock to make this team as a ST's ace. Heck Izzo is about the only for sure ST's player on this team and I'd say he's not close to being a 100% keeper this year.

As for Mills I don't think anyone knows what role he is destined for yet. It could be as FB, or TE, or RB or ST's but if he progresses he's gonna be a very versatile player who'll very likely make a ST's only contributor like Morris obselete.

Not sure if you were kidding but I don't think that's a road the Patriots will be travelling down again.

Why not? He's still a VERY good power back who punishes LB's and softens the D. I agree with this post as I think we all underestimate the importance of a back like Corey Dillon.

Hmmm... a lot of different opinions posted here since I started this thread. I think some of you sell Dillon's contributions short. True, he is starting to slow down, but he still averaged 4.1 ypc last year, just 0.2 ypc less than his career average. Yes, a lot of his TD's came on 2 or 3 yard carries, but there were also a few longer ones.

Someone said Sammy Morris has more breakaway speed. Interesting then, that he has had exactly ONE touchdown each of the past two seasons - on 92 carries last year. If he is as good as some say why didn't Saban find a way to get him more carries after Ganga Ricky went north of the border?

Personally, and I hope I'm wrong, but I think Morris replaces Patrick Pass more than he replaces Dillon. I also think those who think we will throw more are forgetting two things - you need to be able to run out the clock to win in this league, and last year our offense was not good enough to get it done in crunch time. Improving the passing game while regressing in the running game is not improvement, it's stasis.

Finally, we certainly saw flashes of brilliance from Maroney, but he tailed off at the end of the year. Yes, I know he was hurt. That's just the point - he hasn't proven he is durable enough to take the pounding of a long NFL season, even when splitting carries with Corey. Why do we think he will be able to get through a whole season with a 2x heavier workload than he had last year? And if he does get hurt, who do we turn to? I don't think Sammy Morris (or Kevin Faulk) is the answer for more than a game or two.

Perhaps we do draft a running back with one of our first round picks, but I too entertained fantasies of re-signing Dillon after he learns the reality of his market to fill a Bettis-like role, although I realize it is a farfetched notion.

Interesting

Why not? He's still a VERY good power back who punishes LB's and softens the D. I agree with this post as I think we all underestimate the importance of a back like Corey Dillon.

Agreed 100%

As an offense, when you are in the red zone or less than 10 yards away from paydirt, you need to demonstrate the threat to run the football effectively and get the tough 2-3 yards. IMO, even though he had a very good rookie year, I'm not sold on Maroney's ability to do that. I'm sure that will be an area of improvement in 2007.

However, considering that 90% of the red-zone defenses are 8 in a box, wheather it's the power going forward through the tiniest of holes, the patience in letting gaps develop, or having the little hop-step to see the crease in the line, Dillion was once of the best at short yardage.

My .02$

So long as no bridges were burned I think it's quite possible that Dillon is brought back into the fold if he can't hook on elsewhere as he wishes. I'd much rather he be the guy running it in at the goalline than Maroney, Evans, Faulk or Morris.

Very good question. I worry about this myself. Corey was almost

sure to score a touchdown every time the Pats got down close. I'm

sure Dante Scarnecchia will figure out how to open up the holes for

another guy.

From the extensive play I have seen of Morris while at Buffalo ST's will likely be the only way he makes this team as a contributor ..... which is possible I suppose. But I don't think I'd go as far as you and say he's a lock to make this team as a ST's ace. Heck Izzo is about the only for sure ST's player on this team and I'd say he's not close to being a 100% keeper this year.

As for Mills I don't think anyone knows what role he is destined for yet. It could be as FB, or TE, or RB or ST's but if he progresses he's gonna be a very versatile player who'll very likely make a ST's only contributor like Morris obselete.[/QUOTE

I do not think BB shares your opinion of him as a RB> Otherwise he wouldnt sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes