PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do we replace Dillon's TD Production?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

Virtual Internet Person
Reaction score
I'm not going to use the word "worried", but is anybody besides me wondering where we are going to replace CD's TD productivity?

A few stats -
  • Corey has had at least 12 rushing TD each of his three years with the Pats. Last year he had 13.
  • Laurence Maroney had 6 last year.
  • Sammy Morris has had only 14 in his 7 year NFL career.
Obviously we expect Maroney to have more carries this year and so his TD productivity would be expected to increase - let's say he goes from 6 to 9. Add in 2 from Morris (his career average) and that's still only 11 - vs. 19 from Dillon and Maroney in 2006.

Where do you think we are going to make that up?

I'm not going to use the word "worried", but is anybody besides me wondering where we are going to replace CD's TD productivity?

A few stats -
  • Corey has had at least 12 rushing TD each of his three years with the Pats. Last year he had 13.
  • Sammy Morris has had only 14 in his 7 year NFL career.
Obviously we expect Maroney to have more carries this year and so his TD productivity would be expected to increase - let's say he goes from 6 to 9. Add in 2 from Morris (his career average) and that's still only 11 - vs. 19 from Dillon and Maroney in 2006.

Hate to say this but it looks to me like we are going to be more of a one dimentional team in 2007,Say about 65% passing/35% Rushing - Maybe more like the Colts are,We did not sign all these big priced WRs to run/pass 50-50

Maybe most of our TDs will be by air? - If it is I don't care if Maroney,Morris ect have 5 Tds,as long as we are in the end zone,Hell even if Brady has to do a skididdle to the end zone like he did against Urlacher last year,Thats cool with me too,Whatever it takes.

We don't need to have a 10+ TD rushing guy to have a good scoring team,It can be done other ways.

Last edited:
Hate to say this but it looks to me like we are going to be more of a one dimentional team in 2007,Say about 65% passing/35% Rushing - Maybe more like the Colts are,We did not sign all these big priced WRs to run/pass 50-50

Maybe most of our TDs will be by air? - If it is I don't care if Maroney,Morris ect have 5 Tds,as long as we are in the end zone,Hell even if Brady has to do a skididdle to the end zone like he did against Urlacher last year,Thats cool with me too,Whatever it takes.

We don't need to have a 10+ TD rushing guy to have a good scoring team,It can be done other ways.

We didnt sign any "big price" wr's... Both the Stallworth deal and the Washington deal are low cost one year deals.

Last edited:
I say Maroney and the new passing offense will score more than enough to counter the loss of Dillon. If the chips fall right this could be the best offense of the dynasty.

Maybe Dillon is the answer ..... after he re-signs with the Pats upon finding few takers out there for his services ...........

We'll be more one-dimensional in the red zone. Yes, I am a little concerned about it. I was hoping we would keep Corey to serve a similar role that the "Bus" did in Pittsburgh--to be put in for instant touchdowns in the red zone. Instead, we lost him. Maybe Heath will be the "thunder" to Maroney's "lightning" in the red zone. Heath is a beast.

I dont think there is a problem replacing Corey's TD's. How many of his TD's were less than 5 yard runs over that time? Its not like Corey's TD's were break away scores most of them came from within in the 5 yard line where I'm sure Maroney, Morris, Evans and sneaks with Brady will score plenty of rushing TD's.

Should we draft another RB?
I seen one mock that had us taking Michael Bush at 28.
Not saying to draft him but just throwing this out here.

I think we replace his TDs by giving the ball to others at the goal line. I don't think it'll be a problem - I hope I'm not wrong :eek:

Maybe Dillon is the answer ..... after he re-signs with the Pats upon finding few takers out there for his services ...........
Not sure if you were kidding but I don't think that's a road the Patriots will be travelling down again.

no way we go 65% pass 35% run. what are we the eagles? it will be a balanced attack like every year, based on who the opponent is. maroney is fine on the goal line. in our offense i can see him having 10-14 touchdowns this year. your assessment of big priced WR is a huge exaggeration too. welker, washington, and stallworth are all cheap this year. we'll worry about their contracts next year. let maroney play before your throw him under the bus on the goal line.

A few stats -

• I have an idea. Let's take those goal line carries we used to give to Dillon, and give them to Maroney.

Its too bad,I dont think he'll resign at the reduced rate,I was a big fan of the tough yards he could give us,and the stiff arms he delivered....going to miss the big guy.Tough in blitz pick up,too.

I have an idea. Let's take those goal line carries we used to give to Dillon, and give them to Maroney.

Wait a minute, that's just way too logical!

This discussion is almost as silly and alarmist as the Reche Caldwell one.

We've had a downgrade of talent at short-yardage RB. Definitely.

That said, Dillon's TDs weren't actually of the Bettis/SamBam variety, for the most part. They were just good hard runs of the sort that Maroney might be able to make as well instead.

Our true short-yardage ballcarrier is Tom Brady anyway. :)

If we can use another player to score the exact same number of TDs as Dillon, i think that would do it.

I think the majority of this board is vastly underrating Sammy Morris. He doesn't have Cory's natural running skills, but at this stage is much more powerful and explosive. I think he'll be very effective as our short yardage back, and obviously LM will improve in power situations as well. Also, CD got caught on a lot of his breakaway runs this season. Morris will probably not get as many of those, but he'll have a better chance of taking it the distance when he does.

In the salary cap era, you have to be willing to part with vets and expect your cheaper FA's and younger players to step up. I see no reason not to have faith in Maroney not improving from his rookie year, and Morris not maintaining his solid play as he moves to a considerably better team.

Non-issue IMO

Actually, the stronger our passing game is ,the more productive our running game will be due to the simple fact that other teams will be forced to try to cover everyone downfield. I think the new talent (coupled with the existing talent) is going to turn this team into an offensive monster, with a lot more balance than before. :rocker: (Just my opinion)

I have an idea. Let's take those goal line carries we used to give to Dillon, and give them to Maroney.

That is classical,dude...Iam still laughing:D

I think the majority of this board is vastly underrating Sammy Morris. He doesn't have Cory's natural running skills, but at this stage is much more powerful and explosive. I think he'll be very effective as our short yardage back, and obviously LM will improve in power situations as well. Also, CD got caught on a lot of his breakaway runs this season. Morris will probably not get as many of those, but he'll have a better chance of taking it the distance when he does.

In the salary cap era, you have to be willing to part with vets and expect your cheaper FA's and younger players to step up. I see no reason not to have faith in Maroney not improving from his rookie year, and Morris not maintaining his solid play as he moves to a considerably better team.

Non-issue IMO

This validates my impression of Morris. IIRC, he is quick to the hole. With K. Brady and Evans blocking in the nascent zone-blocking scheme, last yr's power blocking, and the occassional, dare I say it, play-action, I don't think we'll have too much trouble keeping them guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes