PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do we feel when Peyton throws 51 TDs?

I would take the Lombardi, hands down . . . now I have a question for you . . . is there something that I missed in Football 101 class that says we have to choose one or the other? . . .

in my book, and you can correct me if I am wrong, the only regular season record that has an impact on a teams ability to win a SB is the 16-0 record, which we all saw the colts back away from . .. and am proud that we gave it a shot . . . with the possible exception of winning the MVP trophy, I can't think of another regular season record or accomplishment that will adversely affect a teams ability to freely win a super bowl, and thus require a choice by a fan base . . . for the life of me I can not in no way figured what all this either or is all about and "he can have it, I'll take the Lombardi" - like you cant win the later if you chose the former or something . . .

Sorry but it will disappointing if he breaks the record . . . I don't care about how many 300 yard games he has, but the records I mentioned I find important and as the same time have zero effect on a SB result . . .

I would argue that people will still be concerned about TDs in a year 10 years from now . . . records are records and they will always be viewed in the time period they were made . . .

my point about the rushing TDs, I can be more specific, it is part of an argument I used against the colts fans about given a back drop to the entire season from an offensive TD standpoint . . . when one really boils it down, via luck (a WR breaking it for a TD) or by play calling (play action pass on first and goal from the one), some of a QBs TDs are TDs not by his skill but by luck or opportunity to throw more passes as opposed to spreading the wealth to a RB . . .

for the most part a good team will average 18 or so rushing TDs in a season . . . when one looks at Marino's 1984 and Brady's 2007 seasons one sees that the team still had the same about of rushing TDs around 18ish (I forget the exacts numbers) and so the additional passing TDs were not taken if you will from the rushing TDs . .. when one looks at 2004 (Manning), 2009 (Brees) & 2010 (Brees/Rogers), you will see that the rushing TDs were lower than normal around 10ish . . . drop off of about 8 or so . . . part of this was luck, some skill (finding a WR in the endzone so do not need a run play) and some of it was play calling . . . so when one is trying to split hairs between 48, 49, 50, didn't play in the last game and so on . . . I look at the overall TDs and say that 48-18 and 50-18 is much better than 49-10 (passing/rushing TDs) . . .

and by extension if the broncos get 51 passing TDs and say 12 rushing TDs I will take 50-18 over 51-12 . . . is my point . . . 51 is the record, but 50-18 is a better season for my standpoint

Two points.

One, to answer your question, "do you have to choose one or the other."
I guess I was absent during "Football 101," but a quick look at the last 50 or so years suggests that setting the TD pass record has correlated to winning it all only once, back in 1959:
Tom Brady broke the record in 2007 with 50: Season outcome = Lost in SB.
Peyton Manning broke it in 2004 with 49: Season outcome = Lost in Divisional Round
Dan Marino broke (shattered) it in 1984 with 48: Season outcome = Lost in SB
George Blanda broke it in 1961 with 36: Season outcome = Lost in NFL Championship Game
Johnny Unitas broke it in 1959 with 32: Season outcome = Won NFL Championship.

So, no, we don't "have to choose one or the other," but the data suggest that they have not correlated for a long time.

Two, on your point about correlating and comparing Team Passing and Rushing TD performance with TD Record performance. The statistics are what they are and I don't dispute what you write, though I haven't checked them (I did miss NFL 101 after all). I just attribute a different level of significance to that correlation than do you. To me, in the final analysis when people assess a QB's performance, this particular correlation plays a very small role in forming their judgment thereof. You disagree. Fine. You are entitled to your opinion.

I attach a lot more significance, for example, to rules changes and the enforcement thereof. Johnny Unitas' 32 TD Passes in a 12 game season when the QB was regularly subject to what would be considered illegal hits today and when receivers could basically be mugged downfield without drawing a flag might well be more impressive than 50 TD passes in a 16 game season when QB's are (rightly) protected and when Defensive Holding and Pass Interference are called at the drop of a hat. In fact, the simple math suggests that 32 TD's in a 12 game season works out to 43 TD's in a 16 game season; so Unitas' accomplishment is, from that perspective, all the more remarkable.

A part of me doesn't want to see him break it but if he does and then doesn't win the Super Bowl, it will really add to his growing label of "best regular season QB ever" (my label actually) which is obviously a jab.

1) I think there's a lot of hypocrisy on this board. People would be squealing with glee if it was Brady on the verge of breaking Manning's record. But when it's the other way around, all of a sudden no one cares.

2) I'm not ready to concede the record to Manning just yet. His ankle is being held together with bubble gum and scotch tape. It wouldn't take much for him to miss a game or have a poor performance or sit down in the 4th quarter of a blowout or have the coach decide he should rest a week or a Denver snowstorm or something like that to seriously weaken his record setting pace.

<yawn>

Any other answer is wrong.

I won't read this thread so I won't think less of any morons who care about regular season records.

1) I think there's a lot of hypocrisy on this board. People would be squealing with glee if it was Brady on the verge of breaking Manning's record. But when it's the other way around, all of a sudden no one cares.

2) I'm not ready to concede the record to Manning just yet. His ankle is being held together with bubble gum and scotch tape. It wouldn't take much for him to miss a game or have a poor performance or sit down in the 4th quarter of a blowout or have the coach decide he should rest a week or a Denver snowstorm or something like that to seriously weaken his record setting pace.

Dear moron:),

After I posted I had to scroll up and I saw your post.

In 2007 everyone learned the worth of those regular season records. Please die for making me think of 2007.:)

I agree with your second point.:)

Maybe in your case but in mine, I said it was an over-inflated record that was an accomplishment but that's all in 07... no hypocrisy at all.
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-50-i-don-t-mean-vrabel-page4.html#post431193

Brady's a great player but I'm indifferent to his place in history.

If he beats it, then it'll cement how great he's been this season. I still don't think he'll get there, but if he does then congrats to him.

After Manning was out for the season, I realized how much better the league is with him in it. I have a lot of respect for Manning, him and Brady have defined the 2000s as the greatest rivalry in sports during that time and hopefully we meet them in January. If he beats the record that we can't do anything else than congratulate him.

10 years ago, I would have been pissed because i hated Manning, now I respect him and enjoy watching him play. If he breaks out then congrats to him on an incredible season.

The ideal season would be Manning breaking the record, then choking in the play-offs, while an under-the-radar Brady just finds a way to win games and claims another ring.

That would be the perfect way to sum up the Manning/Brady rivalry.

Honestly wouldn't care all that much. If he wins the SB and inches closer to Brady in that regard, it will bother me until the 2014 season begins.

Brady 2007 (Through 10 games)
38 TDs
4 INTs

Manning 2013 (Through 10 games)
34 TDs
6 INTs

He has some catching up to do already.

While I obviously would like to see Brady retain the record there is nothing wrong with recognizing that Manning is one of the GOAT. However that does not mean or imply that Brady is not better.

You know I hate to say I told you so (ah, who'm I kidding? I love saying I told you so!) but all of a sudden, after having only 3 TD's the past 2 weeks, Manning is no longer on a record setting pace to break 50 TD's in a single season.

It's definitely still close since he is on a pace for 49 and 45/99 but it's not exactly the best time of the year to be throwing footballs.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back