PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do we beat the Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patfandango

On the Roster
Reaction score
I know, with a sharp stick. I did a similar thread last week for the Bears and i thought that it generated some good discussion. By the way, the consensus was run right up the middle and not misdirection which double reverse play pretty much demonstrated.

As I look through the Lions stats, I don't see alot that they're currently good at (Punting seems good but they get more game experience than most). If Kevin Jones is out or not 100%, they effectively don't have a running game. They're one-dimensional (with Kitna really only half-dimensional) and vunerable to pressure. This is a chance to tully to get starting time and his pass rushing should be able to get to Kitna early and often. This team is an enigma: it's focused on offense and done a crappy job at that. How anyone is keeping their jobs is a mystery to me. That said any given sunday... We need to avoid the trap game mentality and we should be fine. I think we use this as a game to focus on fundamentals and work on getting WR roles defined and ball control running game. I'd especially like to see Jackson get a few more tossed his way and Gabriel worked out of the doghouse. More of Maroney in the power game to improve his situational running. Get the ST coverage perfected and Walter back in the swing.

We just need to take them seriously "any given Sunday" and we should be fine.

Just make sure Roy Williams doesn't beat us singlehandedly and watch the turnovers. I'd say that's about it.

Football Outsiders ranks their offense 23rd and their defense 32nd. That says it all team me, they aren't very good. I love R. Williams though.

How do we beat them?
May I suggest that our O score more points than our D allows?
I'll even allow that our STs and D may contribute to our scoring.

Here we go again. We've just come off a huge win so we can't take Detroit lightly. We need to put them away in the first half and get the second string in there. The Patriots are bound to come out flat after last week and can't afford to let the Lions make a game of it.

Here we go again. We've just come off a huge win so we can't take Detroit lightly. We need to put them away in the first half and get the second string in there. The Patriots are bound to come out flat after last week and can't afford to let the Lions make a game of it.

I disagree. I don't think the Pats will come out flat at all. BB won't let them. If anything they'll come out with greater confidence and put Detroit away in the first half.

I agree with FSUPatsfan. I view this as an instructional game on keeping focused and not allowing a letdown. It's good training for the playoffs. Thanks for the keen insight, PWP. That should work every week.:D

I know, with a sharp stick. I did a similar thread last week for the Bears and i thought that it generated some good discussion. By the way, the consensus was run right up the middle and not misdirection which double reverse play pretty much demonstrated.

As I look through the Lions stats, I don't see alot that they're currently good at (Punting seems good but they get more game experience than most). If Kevin Jones is out or not 100%, they effectively don't have a running game. They're one-dimensional (with Kitna really only half-dimensional) and vunerable to pressure. This is a chance to tully to get starting time and his pass rushing should be able to get to Kitna early and often. This team is an enigma: it's focused on offense and done a crappy job at that. How anyone is keeping their jobs is a mystery to me. That said any given sunday... We need to avoid the trap game mentality and we should be fine. I think we use this as a game to focus on fundamentals and work on getting WR roles defined and ball control running game. I'd especially like to see Jackson get a few more tossed his way and Gabriel worked out of the doghouse. More of Maroney in the power game to improve his situational running. Get the ST coverage perfected and Walter back in the swing.

My choice is do the moderately unexpected. We almost always go to the "stop the run and make the quarterback have to beat us passing" routine but this is Mike Martz we're talking about here. So we should go opposite, tons of coverage to eliminate the pass game almost totally, release the sack hounds to go after Kitna and morph between the 3-4 and 4-3 a lot. Force them to beat us with the running game because 1.) it ain't really great and 2.) we need time to get our new linebacker corps a lot of run stopping practice now that we've lost Junior.

As far as on offense, the usual, establish the run to eat up time and use play action and screens to keep the drives going, the defense honest and the most open receiver active.

Like my kids did to their toy drum.... incessantly and continuously...

How do I beat thee? Let me count the way...

We pound them with the Dillon/Maroney combo.

We allow Tom full use of the range available on the passing game.

The line chokes the life out of the (practically non-existent) running game early and forces the Lions to throw.

And then we hound Kitna with a strong pass rush all afternoon.

And if, and only if, that produces a half time score that has 17 points or more ahead, we start to take the most vulnerable and then the most valuable out of the game to keep them from harm's way while the Jaguars and the Dolphins pound the crap out of one another all afternoon.

Job done.

Beat the Lions? They are the worst NFL team, by far.

Oakland is dimensions better, and we all know they totally suck.

Detroit has one player, R.Williams, and he is not even all that great. 2TD's his first game, 2 after that... that was his entire career before this year.

There are just two things you have to do.

1) Don't beat yourself and
2) Don't let Roy Williams go nuts

In our game with the Lions we simply could not stop Williams in the first quarter. As a result the Lions were out in front 10-0. Also, Miami was beating themselves with penalties and failed 3rd downs. As long as you stay smart and contain Williams, you will roll the Lions.

There are just two things you have to do.

1) Don't beat yourself and
2) Don't let Roy Williams go nuts

In our game with the Lions we simply could not stop Williams in the first quarter. As a result the Lions were out in front 10-0. Also, Miami was beating themselves with penalties and failed 3rd downs. As long as you stay smart and contain Williams, you will roll the Lions.

Good Heads Up, Thanks A4E.

Good Heads Up, Thanks A4E.

No problem. You guys will have no problems beating this team. Watching that game last Thursday leads me to believe this Lions team might be the worst in football.

We need to get ready for playoff run and should play as well as we can. If we do the Lions should not be much of a threat.
I'm sure they all know this. A first round bye is still there for us.

I forgot their new coach's name. Marcenni? Ehh, I know it's Italian. Well anyways the reason he got the job is because he's one of those "rah-rah" Coughlin type coaches. Expect to see a little more enthusiasm from the Lions than years past.

If Martz has complete autonomy over the offense then we could use another solid performance from Samuel. Roy Williams is their Torry Holt, while this new guy, Furrey is like their Kevin Curtis. Both of those two could have 100 yard games and we could still win this game by 20 points IMO. If we shut them down completely, barring a collapse from our offense, then frankly they have no shot.

The LB they drafted in the 1st round, Sims from Florida St. knocked out Ronnie Brown for at least a month so that's a player to keep an eye out for.

We need to focus in on the run. This should be Lawrence's first #1 back game. Don't get me wrong, I love Corey. But Maroney is primed and ready to dominate. This is the pefect chance for us to showcase him, and allow him to gain that confodence that all rookie sensations end up needing to take it to the next level. TB will be dominant on the pass, no doubt. I would love to see him scramble a few times again. He looked awesome (Sorry Mr. Urlacher). In any event this is by no means an automatic win. The run I thinkis the key. But who the heck am I. BB will "GIT R DUN"! GO PATS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back