PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do we beat the bears?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patfandango

On the Roster
Reaction score
As has been said many times, the Pats morph to take advantage of each opponent. That said, how do we do this to give us our best chance this sunday? The bears don't have a lot of weaknesses. They are both fast and strong on defense and are well balanced on offense. Here's my shot but i don;t know the Bears well. On defense, focus on shutting down Thomas and double team Mohammad. Use Jarvis and Tully to pressure Grossman on obvious passing downs and surprise them occasionally with Hawkins on the safety blitz. On Offense, be patient and try to win field position battle. Contain Urlacher with double team (if we can) and use misdirection to neutralize the linebacker speed. Take advantage of their fast reaction and overpursuit with screens and reverses. I'm not sure how successful we will be running up the middle. It might be a good day for Maroney on screen passes. Is there secondary vulnerable in the middle or sideline? Gostkoski and Miller need to have good days. I think it will be a tough game.

A quick, slashing running game can do them in. Ronnie Brown proved that. The easiest way to win is to capitalize off the mistakes that Grossman makes, and he will make them.

The run game. Dominate that then let the ability, or lack thereof, open up the pass.

The Bears average 3.5 YPC, we average 4.1.
The Bears allow 4.1 YPC, we allow 3.3.

That should mean we'll get about 4.1 YPC with them coming in around 3.4 and, over the course of the game, will give us more favorable 2nd and 3rd downs to be less predictable than them.

BTW, Green Bay is averaging 3.9 YPC. Against us they averaged 2.5. Our run defense is VERY good and should get the Bears in a lot of 2nd and 3rd and longs.

1) No turnovers, force Bears to sustain 70-80 yard drives.
2) Eliminate big plays, Berrian is a vertical threat. Take him away and force the underneath stuff. Sooner of later Grossman will make a mistake.
3) Stop the run, place game in Grossman's hands. Put them in 3rd and long and then pressure.
4) Work their corners, Arizona was very effective with quick hits to the WRs on early downs. WR screens, quick hits. Even if they only get 3-5 yards a pop it spreads the defense and puts pressure on the CBs and could open up a deep play later in the game.
5) Mix run and pass, yada, yada, yada... very good defense, we have to keep them on their toes.
6) ST coverage, their returners are game breakers (Hester, Vasher). They must be contained.

Patfandango said:
As has been said many times, the Pats morph to take advantage of each opponent. That said, how do we do this to give us our best chance this sunday? The bears don't have a lot of weaknesses. They are both fast and strong on defense and are well balanced on offense. Here's my shot but i don;t know the Bears well. On defense, focus on shutting down Thomas and double team Mohammad. Use Jarvis and Tully to pressure Grossman on obvious passing downs and surprise them occasionally with Hawkins on the safety blitz. On Offense, be patient and try to win field position battle. Contain Urlacher with double team (if we can) and use misdirection to neutralize the linebacker speed. Take advantage of their fast reaction and overpursuit with screens and reverses. I'm not sure how successful we will be running up the middle. It might be a good day for Maroney on screen passes. Is there secondary vulnerable in the middle or sideline? Gostkoski and Miller need to have good days. I think it will be a tough game.

By scoring more points of course! (;

But, I am all for a conservative game plan much like the Dallas game in 2003. We have to commit to the run and don't commit turnovers. A 12-0 win would be very nice.

The worst thing you can do is run stupid gimmick type plays.

Simple Answer: No turnovers.

Everything else will take care of itself if we don't give them the stinking ball. We have a run game and an offense and a defense. So let's not just hand them the ball on every other series.

Watching the Jets game, where they were blanked by the Bears at home, I would guess the Offensive game plan needs to focus on avoiding MLB Brian Urlacher. He leads the Defense in tackles and seems to have been the NFC's first selection to this year's Pro Bowl, although he was injured. He is particularly outstanding against the run and has the speed to move laterally very quickly.

Therefore if McDaniels comes up with his typical "re-tread" game plan which depends on establishing the run up the middle, the Pat's could lose badly.

lobster said:
Watching the Jets game, where they were blanked by the Bears at home, I would guess the Offensive game plan needs to focus on avoiding MLB Brian Urlacher. He leads the Defense in tackles and seems to have been the NFC's first selection to this year's Pro Bowl, although he was injured. He is particularly outstanding against the run and has the speed to move laterally very quickly.

Therefore if McDaniels comes up with his typical "re-tread" game plan which depends on establishing the run up the middle, the Pat's could lose badly.

Running up the middle has seemed to be the bears weakness this year. I think that as long as the score is even or we are up a little, we should keep pounding the ball to set up the pass.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Simple Answer: No turnovers.

Everything else will take care of itself if we don't give them the stinking ball. We have a run game and an offense and a defense. So let's not just hand them the ball on every other series.

Easier said than done. The Bears lead the league in takeaways, causing almost 3 turnovers a game.

The entire offense (especially Brady) needs to be careful with the ball this game. The Bears offense lives off of the turnovers their defense creates.

The Bears are an NFC fraud!

They have beat no one of any substance. Consider their schedule:

They have big victories over GB, Detroit, Seattle, Buffalo, San Francisco, and a wounded and beat up NYG. They narrowly beat Minnesota, Arizona and the Jets.

And they lost big to Miami, 31-13.

That is more phoney a schedule, than even the mighty Colts usually play. The only team of any substance, is the mighty Seattle Seahawks, who are lucky that they are not at .500 having escaped from a couple of gamesand a re palying like SB losers usually do the year after.

They have the lowest scoring Defense giving up 12 points a game but they are yieilding 4.1 yards a rush, are just average in first down yeilded, and don't dominate any offesnive statistics except scoring.

They do have 5 returns for TDs with two KO TDs by Devin Hester.

The Pats can lose any game.... but I smell a lopsided rout of the Bears in the offing.:p :p

Lot of decent replies here. Besides my agreement in winning the turnover battle
(Must protect brady with TE help and must pressure Grossman constantly, with multiple defensive alignments) ,I would just re-emphasize BB fan's statement that it's all about the run.

I seriously believe that this game will be won or lost ( i think won) by the O-line. The Oline must win the battle of the trenches against one of the best and probably THE most physical D line in the game. They've done it before with Andruzzi and Ashworth/Gorin. If Mankins and Kaczur/OC are an upgrade, this is where they prove it. I'm not worried about Koppen/Neal. Light should get welcome help from Graham.

Win the physical battle in the trenches and win the game. If Dillon is getting carries in the fourth quarter, the O line has done its job, and we are happy fans.

I would not be surprised if guys like Graham and Neal were held out an extra week or two just be 100% for this game, after having shaken off the rust against Green Bay ( and the Jets, which should have been a warm up just like Green Bay was).

I also agree that we will see a lot of quick passes to control possession.

I could not be more pumped for any regular season game as I am for this one. I expect this to be a preview of the SB , and have since about week four.

We've also have had a pretty cushy schedule, at least compared to years past. That might or might not be the reason for some of our stellar defensive (and offensive) stats. I think if we stop their run, and Brady plays well, we should win a close game.

AzPatsFan said:

They have big victories over GB, Detroit, Seattle, Buffalo, San Francisco, and a wounded and beat up NYG. They narrowly beat Minnesota, Arizona and the Jets.

That is more phoney a schedule, than even the mighty Colts usually play. The only team of any substance, is the mighty Seattle Seahawks, who are lucky that they are not at .500 having escaped from a couple of gamesand a re palying like SB losers usually do the year after.

They have the lowest scoring Defense giving up 12 points a game but they are yieilding 4.1 yards a rush, are just average in first down yeilded, and don't dominate any offesnive statistics except scoring.

The Pats can lose any game.... but I smell a lopsided rout of the Bears in the offing.:p :p

Dude !!! you just ruined the building anticipation! this game is suppossed to be a measuring stick!

just kidding, if we are running it between the tackles and throwing long in blowout I will be as happy as anyone.

Still, every SB season as a 'turning point' game ( Indy in '01, TN in '03, Pitt in '04) , I see this game as a turning point of this season. We win this game, we ain't losing another in 2006.

Stop the run, hit Grossman early (the book on him is that he gets flustered after taking a few pops) and don't get beat deep. On offense, try to run like Miami did and if that fails, play field position football, forcing the Bears to win with long, precise drives.

Ask any Bears fan and almost all of them will say that Mike Brown is the heart-and-soul of that D, not Urlacher. Without him, the D just doesn't have the same swagger. If the Pats can get that D back on its heels, it might have a tough time recovering without Brown's onfield leadership.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks all for the thoughtful replies. What worries me a little is that they match up well with us in that it's hard to just take one element out of their game and they fall apart. They are balanced with a strong defense especially their front seven (sound familiar?). As for their easy schedule, the same might be said of our wins this season. I would love a blow out but would settle for a close win based on a patient field position battle. I don't see Tom having enough time to set up the long passing game but maybe exploit their DBs with quick passes. Urlacher and Briggs scare me, as do Hester, Berrian and Mohammad on offense. Then again, we have a few that should make them lose some sleep. I expect a good game and hope for a win.

AzPatsFan said:

Dude, we beat the Jets in their house, and the Jets beat you in your house.
Plus, you haven't beat a team with a winning record.

Good luck sunday, let's hope for a smashmouth, injury free game for both teams. This will be a statement game for both teams. I say Bears by 6.

Last edited:
This will be tough...don't forget the Arizona game though.

keep the ball out of K.Faulks hands! :)

seriously ... when he gets the ball he needs to get down before the mob
attack hits him. Bears do what Miami did to Kevin awhile back. They hold
up the guy with the ball while other defenders strip the ball.:mad:

Umm show up! Just kidding.

#1 as it has been mentioned, no turnovers. This team for whatever reason has been averaging 2 take-aways per game. Corey has got to hang on to the ball.

#2 Special teams. Can't give up the big play. Our ST's have been atrocious lately. Last game showed some improvement. Hopefully that trend will continure.

Do these two things and the Pats win the game.

Stop the run and let Grossman try and beat us. Our ST will need to step up. I believe the new field is going to give us a huge advantage for at least the first game. Our offense is going to find it to thier liking very much. I see our offense scoring 20 plus points while Da Bears will not. Ok, Patriots 28-16.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back