PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do we attack Minnesota's D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunzoburns

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Do you guys have any thoughts on how to attack the Minnesota's D?

Perhaps we run some no huddle to get the guys up front a little winded?
Establish the pass?
Get the running backs involved in a passing attack?

My guess is that the time has come to unleash the short and medium passing attack. The minesota weakness is their lack of players beyond the srtarters in the secondary. So multi-wide quick passing from the shotgun looks to be the best course. The Minesota middle rsuh is a ower rush that takes toime to close the picket and their wide DE are dinged up so the outside rush shoulld be slowed down.

The newcomers have given signs that they are adapting, and It easier to go over the Minesota line and linebackers than through them.

At least at first.

Then you pound them on the ground.

I envision the 2005 offense much more so, than the 2006 edition so far.

bunzoburns said:
Do you guys have any thoughts on how to attack the Minnesota's D?

Perhaps we run some no huddle to get the guys up front a little winded?
Establish the pass?
Get the running backs involved in a passing attack?
Let me get this out of the way early so this thread can continue without being hijacked.
We should pass on first down, use draw plays, run screens...

I'm all for a little spreading the ball wide as I think we're well suited for it but I'd be fine with our regular offense until they show it won't work. Although the Vikings' D may be good, they have been oportunistic in terms of opposing skill players being out when they play the Vikings.

Throwing on first down is cool - until you find yourself in 2nd and 10 all the time. Which is a run down and you end up in 3rd and 6 all day.

Let me chip in something ...their strong point is an offence that scores enough to let the defence go crazy on the opponent.

so we need to stop their offence from scoring before us then we have a chance to ditacte the game .

i am expecting 4 -3 this week to conquer the left side of the offensive line with vince lineup on the left along with seymour/green - we have not see this setup before but what the heck it will be a good match up.

Last edited:
Attack the perimeter, their strength is up the middle. Off tackle and sweeps, Screens and a few long passes to spread the D and open up the medium range passes.

Hopefully Graham wil be back to assist with the run game.

satz said:
Let me chip in something ...their strong point is an offence that scores enough to let the defence go crazy on the opponent.
No, their offense is tied for 18th/19th in scoring. Ours is 10th. And that's with Marcus Robinson who has turned into their #1 WR and is out this week.

They also have just one first quarter TD, week 1 and have scored only 21 of thie 120 points in the first quarter - 17.5%.

Honestly they kind of suck. Of those 120 points, 21, again 17.5%, have come in the fourth quarter on defensive TDs. And they have another defensive TD too. Almost 25% of their points have been scored by the defense.

The Viking offense is iffy at best. But our offense needs to be careful with the ball.

I hate to borrow from the horrible, yucky KFFL but here's a quote from a Viking fan :

"My two cents: The Vikings still have a fair amount to prove. The Patriots this week will be the best offense the Vikings have faced, by far. Minnesota has caught most teams at a good time: Portis was not 100% and Washington was (still is) getting used to Saunders' offense. Smith didn't play for Carolina. Roy Williams got hurt very early in the Detroit game. Seattle was missing Alexander, and Hasselbeck for the 2d half (although he didn't play very well outside of one nice read/pass for the 72 yard TD). Chicago and Buffalo were healthy, but, well, they're Chicago and Buffalo."

1st play
Four wide on the left side (Brown, Caldwell, Gabriel, Watson) with Jackson in the backfield. Brady in the shot gun, pump fakes left, then hits Jackson on a swing pass on the right side. If a LB stays with Jackson...money.
2nd play
Three TE set, Jackson out on left side, Faulk in the backfield.
WR....... TE LT LG C RG RT TE TE
Brady bootlegs to the right and hits the left TE crossing late...or Brady holds on to it and takes it to the house!!! Wahooooooo.
If no TD
Third play
Three TE set, Maroney in the backfield. Two TEs on the strong right side pull left and seal the lanes as Maroney shoots around the left side for huge gains.
Fourth play
Punt

Yea like others have said I think they really establish the pass than run alot of draws with Maroney. I picture them using alot of 4-wide sets and when they do line up to run, they will, probaly try to push it outside. But usually when you have an idea of what the pats will do they do something toatally different. I just dont see another, because running up the middle has a slim to none chance of working.

The Vikings have a stout running defense but we have a strong running game. We should not abandon the running but utilize it to control the time of possession and keep their d on their toes. By sticking to our running game-this should open up holes. With their "tampa-2" defense and agressive blitz schemes that their dcord. has brought-expect to see some play action-Faulk-lotsa Watson and Graham-Thomas-Mills etc. They are a good D but we need to win the battle (as usual) up front-so we need our O-line to protect and carve holes for us. We have Tom Brady-who is decisive and one of the best QB's in the league-so decision making will be key and I trust Tom. This will be a good opportunity for Josh D. and Tom to use some good short-mid passing attack-so expect to some TE's and passes out of the backfield-we need to disorient their D with tempo changes and take advantage of how their d reacts-should be a good game-the Vikings are tough.

NEM must be on the plane LOL.:D

All right, I'll do the honors. We come out with play action. Inside slants and crossing patterns are what will work.:woohoo:

Easy.
We try to score more points than them.

That's the gameplan folks.

we might wanna consider firing the offensive coordinator.

I think that would be the first move to make.

THEN

we try to outscore them.

TE! TE! TE!

The Vikings have a strong run defense up the middle with Williams and Williams at DT along with Sharper at S. Their weakness is clearly the linebacker position. Minnesota's LBs are probably the weakest we've faced all year. We need to expose that part of the field.

We need to establish a sideline to sideline run game with Maroney and Faulk. The screen pass will be very helpful in keeping the defense honest. Keep the secondary honest by running Jackson on the deep route frequently. The Vikings defensive backs are strong, but aside from Sharper, not very opportunistic. As long as Sharper is not covering deep, we can afford to try a bomb or two. Send Troy, Watson and Thomas to the middle of the field. If Sharper is covering deep, hit them with the short pass, if he's stacking the box, go deep to Gabriel or Jackson.

I dont' think we can run right at them as we have been doing. I say go with TE and RB screens and mid-range throws to start. Corey Dillon, Kevin Faulk and even Ben Watson can do a great screen. If you have to run, make it outside with Maroney. or better yet, get set up really good with good returns from Maroney then go with the short passing game, taking shots if you can downfield. Would you try the Chad Jackson reverse again?

NEM said:
Sorry, but you dont play footsy with these guys, especially in their crib. You attack their weakest points, the secondary. Then, then when you've loosened them up, then yu run at them, use screens, play action, and the inside routes....But if you want to play into their hands, then you run straight at them, kill some time, lose the game.

1. You have to be "daft" to visit this board!:)
2.I did not imply playing footsy w/ these guys. We need to win this physically like every game we play and that means pounding the ball and NOT abandoning the run. I agree with you NEM-they do have a weaker secondary than some of our previous opponents, and I'm hoping for a good pass game but the running game will only help the passing game. Don't worry about time and the passing attack-we're not the Colts-the goal is to win-not throw INT's. You mentioned pass then run. We need to soften their front line and attract the LB's and get them in a rythym-then pass OR Pass (hurry up-test them) and then run-We'll see Monday how it goes down. We can mix it up-I'm cool with your idea-makes sense. Their DCord loves to blitz and this may allow more passing-let's hope!

NEM said:
Sorry, but you dont play footsy with these guys, especially in their crib. You attack their weakest points, the secondary. Then, then when you've loosened them up, then yu run at them, use screens, play action, and the inside routes....But if you want to play into their hands, then you run straight at them, kill some time, lose the game.

WOW - I agree 100%. Attack first, get up on them, attack a little more - get up by 3 scores and then grind 'em silly.

This should be a great game to produce a balanced attack. The D is tight in the middle up front. The linebackers are aggressive. The corners are solid. Expect a lot of stunts and blitzes. Runs should feature Maroney on stretch plays, looking to cut it back and catch the LB's over-pursuit. Draws and screens to Falk. But as has been said before, the real yardage should be the mismatch of our 3rd or 4th WR or TE's against LB's in the short to intermediate passing game. Especially in the space vacated by the safety cheating up to stop the run. Which is why the run cannot be abandoned. Play action could work if we sell the run, but if they're coming anyway, it would prove disasterous. Gabriel and Jackson should have a long day of lots of deep routes. Corners, posts, stop and go's, and go routes are the prescription there. Either they draw real coverage or they draw blood.

Good thoughts, folks. I think most of us are now on board with the idea that running a talent like Maroney, a 25-yard gain waiting to happen, mostly up the middle, where the Vikings are strongest, would be an exercise in futility. Both Kool-Aid and the Klock-Killer need to run behind a FB, esp. if Grahambo is hors de combat. Use pitchouts, draws, and - did someone else say this word? - stretches to run away from the strength of the Minnesota D. The stretch is also very effective when used in conjunction with play-action, esp. when throwing to the weak side. If Payaton can do it, then why can't the Patriots? Let's also try more slants, intermediate posts and other patterns in which athletic ability, instead of strictly playbook knowledge, can be better utilized. After all, there are 3(!) UF WRs on the roster. "Playbook Knowledge", at the University of Florida, simply wasn't required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back