PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do Vegas oddsmakers handicap preseason games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone?

I've always wondered about this. Seems almost like handicapping the Pro Bowl. There are some weird lines this week; Washington -5.5 @ Indy. Patriots + 2.5 @ Tampa Bay. Baltimore -7 vs. KC. Steelers -3 vs. Phily (seems like a regular season line.)

Aren't these games coin flips?

they set lines to attract money to both sides of the line...their object is to get as close to 50% money bet on both sides of the line...the initial line is worked out using whatever information they see as relevant to the outcome. If ,for example ,they KNOW that one team's starting QB will not play and the other team's starter will play 3 quarters, then you'll see the line skewed toward THAT QB and team to OPEN...but wherever the money flows ,if it's out of whack one side or the other then they will adjust the line, either up or down to attract money to the other side.

Anyone?

I've always wondered about this. Seems almost like handicapping the Pro Bowl. There are some weird lines this week; Washington -5.5 @ Indy. Patriots + 2.5 @ Tampa Bay. Baltimore -7 vs. KC. Steelers -3 vs. Phily (seems like a regular season line.)

Aren't these games coin flips?

Good question... no idea. They probably watch local reports really closely to try to get an idea of how long the starters will be playing, and the lines generally reflect that? That's the only thing that I could even begin to guess on.

they set lines to attract money to both sides of the line...their object is to get as close to 50% money bet on both sides of the line...the initial line is worked out using whatever information they see as relevant to the outcome. If ,for example ,they KNOW that one team's starting QB will not play and the other team's starter will play 3 quarters, then you'll see the line skewed toward THAT QB and team to OPEN...but wherever the money flows ,if it's out of whack one side or the other then they will adjust the line, either up or down to attract money to the other side.

Pretty much this right here. Good answer by Joker.

In the instance of betting pre-season, taking a plethora of underdogs is never a bad idea--possibly even on the straight money line.

But yes, you are quite right in your assessment of it being a "coin toss."

I attribute it to be very similar to setting the lines/betting on exhibition baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes