PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do the Pats stop the wildcat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love watching Miami. What a fun offense. They're going to be a handful for us now that Brown is back from his injury and clearly at full speed.

its more about stoping brown then the wild cat

he is just as good of a receiver as marshall faulk was in his prime

with the size and speed of Adrian Peterson

and ricky williams he's back up is a 1200 yerd back on any team

the pats need to run a lot of 4-3

Terdell Sands and wilfork at DT

Ty Warren and green at DE

mayo at MLB guyton and AD at OLB

and bring Brandon Meriweather down in the box

and if that dont work let's hope that tom brady can pull a payton manning and just put up TD's every time they get the ball

Last edited:

Are you serious?

A majority of the wildcat results in runs between the tackles. The other options (sweeps, counters, passes) are higher risk and more likely to result in negative plays. Control the gaps between the tackles (even giving up an occasional big play elsewhere) and the offense quickly finds themselves in non-wildcat down/distance a lot of the time.

A 3-4 2-gap defense puts two players in each of those 4 gaps using just 5 players. The other 6 defenders can be used in a variety of ways, but the key is that they really don't have to defend all parts of the field. For example, have a safety moving forward to crash a gap or hit a cut-back, have the OLBs play contain on off-tackle runs and sweeps, and have the remaining DBs play a cover-3.

The best part is that this isn't dramatically different from how the Pats play their base 3-4 defense...so a lot of shifting isn't needed. It all comes down to execution. The Pats executed horribly in game 1 last year (and got discouraged by not having Brady back there to prevent the game from slipping away) and executed beautifully in game 2. Nothing inside, good containment outside. The wildcat had no chance to get rhythm and consistency and it was left to Pennington to win the game...and he had a whale of a game even though the Fins got blown out.

he dose have the size and speed of Adrian Peterson

maybe not the receiver that marshall faulk was

but he is a top 3 RB in the NFL

I absolutley agree with you, Ronnie Brown is a great back.

It's funny, yesterday "Miami sucks." Today, there are threads on how to stop the WC;)

Miami doesn't 'suck.' They lost a tough, low scoring game at ATL to start the season, and it took them a couple games to get going. They now hold a 2-0 divisional record, are only a game back, and certainly have the capacity to beat the Pats. Plus, TB has often struggled v. them too. Chad Henne looks like a halfway decent QB, and they have the #1 rushing attack in all of football.

The early December game on SNF in MIA will be a tough one, and I expect a hard game at home in 3 1/2 wks too. Even if they did 'suck,' they'd still play us tough as anything.

I do question his durability as he has yet to become a 300 carry RB, but I sure as heck would love to see him carry the mail for the Pats 20 times a game!!

Last edited:
I think the key to stopping the wildcat is discipline and gap responsibility.

I think that as the year goes on, the good teams will exploit the Jets lack of discipline on defense.

I do question his durability as he has yet to become a 300 carry RB, but I sure as heck would love to see him carry the mail for the Pats 20 times a game!!

Good point about the durability, and yeah I'd love to see someone like him in the backfield again--besides Dillon, it's been a while.

I absolutley agree with you, Ronnie Brown is a great back.

It's funny, yesterday "Miami sucks." Today, there are threads on how to stop the WC;)

Miami doesn't 'suck.' They lost a tough, low scoring game at ATL to start the season, and it took them a couple games to get going. They now hold a 2-0 divisional record, are only a game back, and certainly have the capacity to beat the Pats. Plus, TB has often struggled v. them too. Chad Henne looks like a halfway decent QB, and they have the #1 rushing attack in all of football.

The early December game on SNF in MIA will be a tough one, and I expect a hard game at home in 3 1/2 wks too. Even if they did 'suck,' they'd still play us tough as anything.

This is spot on. Ronnie is a beast this year and can run around or through you. Revis and Rhodes are great d-backs and he blasted both of them several times. He also had jets backers sliding off him all game. I hope it is as easy as it was the second time around but I think these phins are better. Time will tell. If our offense is still struggling we are screwed. The phins D is their downfall and I think they can be exploited.

exactly, if he can stay healthy he has the ability to be great. I don't think he will stay healthy with the shots he is going to take as the season wears on.

funny-pictures-cat-eats-baseball-players.jpg

Probably the hardest play to stop would be the one where Williams runs full speed east to west and the D has to figure out who has the ball on the hand off.

Or Pat White-(QB/RB/WR) getting the ball

....that's where "loading the box" too aggressively could sting you.

and ricky williams he's back up is a 1200 yerd back on any team

the pats need to run a lot of 4-3

Terdell Sands and wilfork at DT

Ty Warren and green at DE

mayo at MLB guyton and AD at OLB

and bring Brandon Meriweather down in the box

and if that dont work let's hope that tom brady can pull a payton manning and just put up TD's every time they get the ball

Disagree. Brown plays a big role on the offense but there are many w/ the Wildcat. The Oline plays well. Cobbs may be out but Pat White is a problem. We know what Henne does but Pat can line up as a back, rec or qb. Then there are the other players used in the wildcat formation.

M. Faulk? Not yet. He's got a bit to go.

Adrian Peterson is not that big. He's an athletic back who likes to flex for commercials. btw.....Brad Childress needs a laxative.

Ricky 1200 yds? Maybe on another team but the chances are they have some fresh legs to take carries....he's still good.

4-3....3-4...gaps....doesnt matter dude...

What about Mike Wright on your Fantasy Dline? Mikeys awesome!

I don't want Merriweather in the box. He covers the field better as a Safety....I would run McGowan over him.

I'm not picking on you......I just needed to holler
Im still pissed over the Denver game.

If they're still in contention at that point, I fully expect them to break out a significant Pat White package for the Pats game. I'm a little worried about that possibility.

The Patriots thought about drafting White, they had him in for a tryout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes